KHSAA finals vs UofL/UConn game

rock86

Remember the U of L game is an ESPN game and they don't even know the time. Plus, I think I heard on WHAS the other night that even if they wanted to ESPN doesn't allow anything else in the stadium on a game day!

The best scenario is two on Friday and two on Sunday! Can you imagine the crowd for a Trinity-St. X Class 4-A title game next year at 4 p.m. on Sunday!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should all be at the same venue. Period.

That's like splitting the Sweet Sixteen and putting all the games at Commonwealth and moving the final 4 to Freedom Hall.

Not even close, b-ball is a tournament and one game decides football in each class.

I think there should be a diffeent state game at a different site each year. Say

Commonwealth 4a

Pizza Box 3a

Georgetown 2a

WKU/EKU 1a

then rotate the games, make people form Luisville and Lex travel to other cities, spend some money move the economy, come on. I did not create the problem I am just thinking of a solution. Maybe Iam wrong but Jeff Co. has a rule against Sunday athletics, I think it is not allowed, someone know out there.

Not even close, b-ball is a tournament and one game decides football in each class.

I think there should be a diffeent state game at a different site each year. Say

Commonwealth 4a

Pizza Box 3a

Georgetown 2a

WKU/EKU 1a

then rotate the games, make people form Luisville and Lex travel to other cities, spend some money move the economy, come on. I did not create the problem I am just thinking of a solution. Maybe Iam wrong but Jeff Co. has a rule against Sunday athletics, I think it is not allowed, someone know out there.

Then you need to move the Basketball tourney around the state as well. Same reasons you mention.

Commonwealth 4a

Pizza Box 3a

Georgetown 2a

WKU/EKU 1a

No offense, but this is a terrible idea for football fans. The state finals needs to be showcased as an EVENT and splitting them up would destroy that. The bottom line ($) would suffer if they split them up, too.

Who benefits from splitting them up like you suggest? I don't see the upside.

No bitterness here, but I would rather walk to Commonwealth Stadium than drive to Papa Johns Stadium. And I am not interested in any state final on Sunday to accommodate what appears to be a scheduling error.

I have advocated for years for Lexington and especially UK to campaign for the high school football championships. Commonwealth is a beautiful stadium and six or seven games per year are played on this field. Why would UK care if their field was torn up in December?

Lexington would have to guarantee as many fans for the four games. The safety of the players is at issue as far as playing multiple games on a grass field. The KHSAA doesn't have a definite plan as of this date.

The costs involved of using mutluple venues is part of what led the games to Louisville in the first place. Ohio does it because they have the popluation base to support their games all over their state. Indiana keeps them all in Indy for similar reasons as KY.

Why are you intent on calling it an error?

The KHSAA knew that any games at PJCS would be contingent on Louisville's schedule and the Big East, not Louisville determined the schedule. The KHSAA has a plan in place, problem solved. If you have a problem don't attend. Simple solution.

As to your convenience, maybe just maybe student athletes from Louisville deserve a chance to play for championships in their hometown since SAs from Lexington sure seem to have that opportunity fairly regularly. If I sound hostile it's because I do get a bit defensive when someone looks for any excuse to suggest that the one championship that Louisville hosts should be taken away from them, particularly when they have been financially successful in Louisville.

And finally, I'm sure that whoever the two teams are that play the fourth game of the weekend on a torn-up grass field will be just overjoyed to play in a mud bowl. And who will pay the extra cost to repair the field after four games??

The best venue for the high school championships is in Louisville, regardless of the schedule of games.

What do I hear bitterness in your post? That's your line from a previous post and it certainly fits here.

Relax.....no one wants to take away your championships. It needs to be modified for one year and we are all offering alternatives. My alternative selfishly would like to see a championship in Lexington in 2006. UK does have a beautiful stadium, has a central location, and a nice field that is used 6 or 7 times a year. Never any mud, either.

How about three Friday in Louisville and one Saturday in Lexington? How about two and two? "RockPride" is correct is saying the 4A championship should be in Louisville because of who plays that championship each year.

Don't have a heart attack, "AllTell". No one is attempting to permanently steal your championships.

I have thought for a while that the state would be better served if the games were played at Manual Stadium It is a better venue for high school football, the seats are closer, and it would cost much less to rent. There are a number of cafe/bars nearby to celebrate or to drown your sorrows. It seats enough for any game but X/T, and these two, in the event they met, could opt out and play at PJS.

I have thought for a while that the state would be better served if the games were played at Manual Stadium It is a better venue for high school football, the seats are closer, and it would cost much less to rent. There are a number of cafe/bars nearby to celebrate or to drown your sorrows. It seats enough for any game but X/T, and these two, in the event they met, could opt out and play at PJS.

If Manual can get field turf or some other artificial playing surface installed by December 1, awesome! :D The KHSAA could always return to Kentucky Fair and Exposition Center and old Cardinal Stadium.....if the state would do some fix up work :thumb:

Word from my KHSAA connection is no plan in place yet but there will be Championship football the first week of December.

Biggest issue would be parking.