KHSAA finals vs UofL/UConn game

rock86

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Puhleese

Commonwealth Stadium looks like a reject from an Alcoa plant, those bleacher seats are pathetic and the add on suites in the endzones are ridiculous.

I'd rather watch a game in PJCS any day.

Well you won't be watching the state championships this year at Papa Johns Stadium because someone evidently dropped the ball on scheduling.

No bitterness here, but I would rather walk to Commonwealth Stadium than drive to Papa Johns Stadium. And I am not interested in any state final on Sunday to accommodate what appears to be a scheduling error.

I have advocated for years for Lexington and especially UK to campaign for the high school football championships. Commonwealth is a beautiful stadium and six or seven games per year are played on this field. Why would UK care if their field was torn up in December?

Why are you intent on calling it an error?

The KHSAA knew that any games at PJCS would be contingent on Louisville's schedule and the Big East, not Louisville determined the schedule. The KHSAA has a plan in place, problem solved. If you have a problem don't attend. Simple solution.

As to your convenience, maybe just maybe student athletes from Louisville deserve a chance to play for championships in their hometown since SAs from Lexington sure seem to have that opportunity fairly regularly. If I sound hostile it's because I do get a bit defensive when someone looks for any excuse to suggest that the one championship that Louisville hosts should be taken away from them, particularly when they have been financially successful in Louisville.

And finally, I'm sure that whoever the two teams are that play the fourth game of the weekend on a torn-up grass field will be just overjoyed to play in a mud bowl. And who will pay the extra cost to repair the field after four games??

The best venue for the high school championships is in Louisville, regardless of the schedule of games.

Our stadium is nicer than yours.

No, Ours is nicer.

Well, ours has wider seats.

So, ours is bigger.

Our stadium has turf and your skyboxes are ugly.

This harping over which stadium is nicest reminds me of two kids fighting over who's dad can whip the other. :lol:

The best venue for the high school championships is in Louisville, regardless of the schedule of games.

I agree in part. PJCS has the decided advantage, IMO, because of the playing surface and some amenities that Commonwealth has not, like the B/W area.

For the fan who comes and watches just their team, I'm not sure it matters much, but there are a LOT of people that come for the whole event. I am one and the schedule of games supercedes the venue in my list of priorities. I love having the games at PJCS and have no reason to want them to move elsewhere. But I would much rather go to another suitable venue and see the games in two days (preferably, 2 and 2) than to see them spread them out over 3 days. I would end up skipping one day in the 3 day format and I don't want to do that.

As stated above, there was no error in scheduling. The KHSAA was made aware of this conflict possibly happening when UL joined the Big East. Neither the KHSAA or UL did anything wrong or messed up the schedule. The KHSAA has a meeting scheduled in a week or so and the various alternatives will be discussed. I guess there are several options (although I have no idea what the KHSAA is thinking): play all 4 games at PJS on Friday (10,1,4 and 7) which is a long, long day; play two on Friday (1 and 4) and two on Sunday (1 and 4) all at PJS, which will create some resistance from the Bible Belt folks; play two on Friday at PJS (1 and 4) and play two games on Saturday (1 and4) at some other venue such as Commonwealth with the belief that even if weather is bad, the field won't be torn up too bad for the second game if it is a good field to begin with; and play 3 games at PJS on Friday (11,2 and 5) and one game before or after UL's game on Saturday or maybe on Sunday at PJS. Thursday games don't work as there is not enough recovery times for the kids from the prior week and it shortens preparation time, neither of which are fair to the kids as they get ready for what is probably the biggest game of their lives. Moving the games back a week makes sense as it allows injured kids a better chance to get healthy and gives even more preparation time, but I doubt the bball coaches will like it all that much (although when you think about it, we're only talking about 8 bball programs in the entire state that would be affected). What do people think about the above options and are there some other ones out there that I haven't thought about?

Why are you intent on calling it an error?

The KHSAA knew that any games at PJCS would be contingent on Louisville's schedule and the Big East, not Louisville determined the schedule. The KHSAA has a plan in place, problem solved. If you have a problem don't attend. Simple solution.

As to your convenience, maybe just maybe student athletes from Louisville deserve a chance to play for championships in their hometown since SAs from Lexington sure seem to have that opportunity fairly regularly. If I sound hostile it's because I do get a bit defensive when someone looks for any excuse to suggest that the one championship that Louisville hosts should be taken away from them, particularly when they have been financially successful in Louisville.

And finally, I'm sure that whoever the two teams are that play the fourth game of the weekend on a torn-up grass field will be just overjoyed to play in a mud bowl. And who will pay the extra cost to repair the field after four games??

I never remember Commonwealth being a mud bowl ever. I am just suggesting the 4a game. The one with the crowd.

The UK Ag school will do it like they do now. No money out of your pockets.

Best case scenario, I would think, would be 3 on Friday and the 4A on Saturday morning.

How much recovery time would be needed to clear out and still give UL the time to get ready for the game that afternoon?

Wow...depends a lot on the time of the UL/UConn game. We had several Noon starts this year and tailgating began EARLY! :eek:

I never remember Commonwealth being a mud bowl ever. I am just suggesting the 4a game. The one with the crowd.

The UK Ag school will do it like they do now. No money out of your pockets.

They should all be at the same venue. Period.

That's like splitting the Sweet Sixteen and putting all the games at Commonwealth and moving the final 4 to Freedom Hall.