KHSAA finals vs UofL/UConn game

rock86

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if the season was possibly moved up on week and the championship games could be played during the Thanksgiving weekend?

It is too late to do that for this year. If you want the championships played a week earlier, the only suitable way to do it would be to take out the bye week and play a 10 game schedule, but again, too late to do it for this year.

But, IMO, the heat is a big enough problem now at the beginning of the season and moving the start date up a week would be a bad move. If anything, the start date needs to be moved the other direction and start a week later.

No offense, but this is a terrible idea for football fans. The state finals needs to be showcased as an EVENT and splitting them up would destroy that. The bottom line ($) would suffer if they split them up, too.

Who benefits from splitting them up like you suggest? I don't see the upside.

Have all 4 games at the different venues, just move the venues each year. I am just trying to figure a way to showcase all the nice stadiums in the state. This problem may come up again, something needs to be planned, how about some ideas instead of ridicule.

Bottom line, the KHSAA isn't taking these games anywhere. They won't play in a stadium without turf, and in the current format they shouldn't. And UofL and Louisville's sports commission will probably do everything they can to work through this year's problem. This story from the C-J last week (http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060209/SPORTS05/602090446/1031) would seem to indicate they aren't seriously thinking about going elsewhere.

This didn't surprise the KHSAA when UofL's schedule came out this week; they already knew this was coming. UofL has primary tenant status at the stadium, so its games take priority over anything and everything else held there, just as UK basketball games do at Rupp Arena. The KHSAA always reworks its Sweet 16 schedule in those years when UK hosts NCAA tournament games, and they'll do the same at UofL every other year if the football schedule holds.

Have all 4 games at the different venues, just move the venues each year. I am just trying to figure a way to showcase all the nice stadiums in the state. This problem may come up again, something needs to be planned, how about some ideas instead of ridicule.

1. I'm sorry if I offended you, TK. If I did, it was unintentional.

2. I disagreed with the idea of having 4 championships in 4 different locations, but that isn't ridicule.

3. I said it is a terrible idea for the fans, and it is. It would make it impossible for anyone to see all the games. I don't think the KHSAA will ever go back to separate championships.

4. It may be a good idea from some angle, but I still don't see any upside, do you? You are suggesting it, so I ask you again, who wins?

5. If you are wanting to showcase our college stadiums, having a single HS finals game in December does little to do that, IMO.

6. The objective should be to showcase the finals. To do that, you need to play them as an event, in one location. Whether it is in PJCS, Commonwealth or somewhere else. That is my idea.

7. They will work this out to the satisfaction of UL and the KHSAA. It may mean they have to play 3 and 1 or even 2, 1 and 1. But they will work it out. However, no matter what they do, everyone will not be happy, and some compromise will have to be accepted.

8. It would be nice if UL would be able to play on Thursday night or Saturday evening. But they have first dibs and neither of those options are as attractive as Saturday afternoon in early December.

How about just postponing the championships a week? Gives the kids an extra week to recover from any injuries, gives the coaches an extra week to prepare and gives the fans an additional week to make plans to take off work or make additional adjustments to be able to attend. Other than 8 basketball programs not getting their football players who play basketball for another week (probably affects less than 25, in aggregate, of the kids playing in the 4 championship games), I only see upsides to this idea.

1. I'm sorry if I offended you, TK. If I did, it was unintentional.

2. I disagreed with the idea of having 4 championships in 4 different locations, but that isn't ridicule.

3. I said it is a terrible idea for the fans, and it is. It would make it impossible for anyone to see all the games. I don't think the KHSAA will ever go back to separate championships.

4. It may be a good idea from some angle, but I still don't see any upside, do you? You are suggesting it, so I ask you again, who wins?

5. If you are wanting to showcase our college stadiums, having a single HS finals game in December does little to do that, IMO.

6. The objective should be to showcase the finals. To do that, you need to play them as an event, in one location. Whether it is in PJCS, Commonwealth or somewhere else. That is my idea.

7. They will work this out to the satisfaction of UL and the KHSAA. It may mean they have to play 3 and 1 or even 2, 1 and 1. But they will work it out. However, no matter what they do, everyone will not be happy, and some compromise will have to be accepted.

8. It would be nice if UL would be able to play on Thursday night or Saturday evening. But they have first dibs and neither of those options are as attractive as Saturday afternoon in early December.

Play the games at the same place move the venue each year.

Bottom line, the KHSAA isn't taking these games anywhere. They won't play in a stadium without turf, and in the current format they shouldn't. And UofL and Louisville's sports commission will probably do everything they can to work through this year's problem. This story from the C-J last week (http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060209/SPORTS05/602090446/1031) would seem to indicate they aren't seriously thinking about going elsewhere.

This didn't surprise the KHSAA when UofL's schedule came out this week; they already knew this was coming. UofL has primary tenant status at the stadium, so its games take priority over anything and everything else held there, just as UK basketball games do at Rupp Arena. The KHSAA always reworks its Sweet 16 schedule in those years when UK hosts NCAA tournament games, and they'll do the same at UofL every other year if the football schedule holds.

I wonder how UK's NIT games will effect Rupp this year or will they play in Memorial.

If that is what you meant before, I just misunderstood. I wouldn't have a problem with this idea, as long as all 4 games are played at the same place over the 2 days.

I still think PJCS is the perfect place to have it, and I don't see the benefits of moving it. It would be tough to beat the Pizza Box as host of this event.

In order to move it, I think another venue would have to have BIG upside. What other location can top or even match all the advantages of PJCS? I don't think we have one.

I think it should be done this way. And although I'm sure that someone is going to cry about attendance lets say this., if the event is in your backyard and two local teams are playing, how many more people will come to see those teams? How much of an advantage do you hold playing in your own backyard? Why don't you have to travel and the rest of the state does? Lastly, I could give a rats but what the gate is. This is high school amatuer athletics, not the NFL. No body is going to loose their franchise because of low attendance. It should be rotated. Period.

I think it should be done this way. And although I'm sure that someone is going to cry about attendance lets say this., if the event is in your backyard and two local teams are playing, how many more people will come to see those teams? How much of an advantage do you hold playing in your own backyard? Why don't you have to travel and the rest of the state does? Lastly, I could give a rats but what the gate is. This is high school amatuer athletics, not the NFL. No body is going to loose their franchise because of low attendance. It should be rotated. Period.

Then ALL state championships should be rotated PERIOD

FWIW the gate at football and boys basketball pay for all the other tournaments that the KHSAA hosts so if either goes bust all others suffer.

It just hit me, there is another thread going around where all the T and X guys are arguing over who is has the best traveling fans. I say prove it. Travel outside of Louisvile. :D

Trinity has won several games that I can think of in your neck of the state and always seemed to have pretty good crowds. :ylsuper: