Highlands vs. Trinity

Who wins?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

Okay reaplace it with whatever you are passionate about. My point, everyone is passionate about something and act the same way (defend, promote, etc) about whatever that is.

And I was stating that my guess was that half of the people that crack on HHS are probably KY bball fans. And "if" you were are KY bball fan (not necessarily you in particular), you (meaning the KY bball fans) act the same way about bball.

I think when people question those who aren't die hard HHS fans and wonder why some can't hop on board with the HHS bandwagon, it may have to do with the arrogance of some HHS fans who think the world begins and ends with HHS football. They are all convinced teams are afraid to schedule highlands etc. and assume that every other teams is petrified of the mighty bluebird when in reality there are other teams out there and highlands isn't the only game around.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was this the game between Gino Guidughli and one of the Brohms, maybe Brian?

T came up a little short in an absolute gunslinger of a show

I believe you are correct about Gino but I don't think Brian played that game, I think he was only a Freshman in 2000 because he won state his Soph, Jr and Sr years which were 2001, 02 and 03.

Sweeperboy:"Was this the game between Gino Guidughli and one of the Brohms, maybe Brian?

T came up a little short in an absolute gunslinger of a show

If so, then that game was played at Montgomery Co, site of the oldest and original preseason bowl classics...The Recreation Bowl."

This is correct. This was Coach Beatty's first game at Trinity.

Brohm was a freshman that season and was not the qb until 2001. Geoff Riddle was the QB in that game.

I think when people question those who aren't die hard HHS fans and wonder why some can't hop on board with the HHS bandwagon, it may have to do with the arrogance of some HHS fans who think the world begins and ends with HHS football. They are all convinced teams are afraid to schedule highlands etc. and assume that every other teams is petrified of the mighty bluebird when in reality there are other teams out there and highlands isn't the only game around.

I'll agree with some of that. But, if you are a 5A and 6A school in NKY and looking to improve your program and there are teams in your immediate area that can help you benchmark your program, challenge your kids, expose them to a top program and identify weaknesses in your team prior to playing the important part of your schedule, why wouldn't you want to put them on your schedule? Forget they are Blue and White and have an H on thier helmut. I'm saying in general. They can do all those things to an extreme for a team and you don't have to travel far to get that kind of test. That's the way I look at it and that lends itself to the perception that teams won't play them because of the fear of losing. If I coached a 5 or 6A football team, the first 2 calls I'd make to schedule would be HHS and Cov Cath! Great challenges and preparation right in my own backyard. If my program wasn't at their level, that's what I'd be striving to get to. Yes, other teams can challenge you. But not like those two teams up here.

Let me ask you this. Cooper had a great season last year. They lost in the finals to BG. Is there a possibility that if Cooper would have had HHS on the schedule to challenge them, identify their weaknesses and expose them to HHS speed and athleticism, that it possibly could have prepared them better for BG? They played BG very well, but could it have propelled them past them if they had seen that kind of speed, strength and athleticism in a team like the Birds. My point, no matter who you play, if you aren't exposed to a great team (any great team), then you will likely not be prepared enough to overcome a great team when you have to face them. I was rooting for Cooper in the game big time. But I just didn't ever feel they were going to overcome BG.

I'll agree with some of that. But, if you are a 5A and 6A school in NKY and looking to improve your program and there are teams in your immediate area that can help you benchmark your program, challenge your kids, expose them to a top program and identify weaknesses in your team prior to playing the important part of your schedule, why wouldn't you want to put them on your schedule? Forget they are Blue and White and have an H on thier helmut. I'm saying in general. They can do all those things to an extreme for a team and you don't have to travel far to get that kind of test. That's the way I look at it and that lends itself to the perception that teams won't play them because of the fear of losing. If I coached a 5 or 6A football team, the first 2 calls I'd make to schedule would be HHS and Cov Cath! Great challenges and preparation right in my own backyard. If my program wasn't at their level, that's what I'd be striving to get to. Yes, other teams can challenge you. But not like those two teams up here.

Let me ask you this. Cooper had a great season last year. They lost in the finals to BG. Is there a possibility that if Cooper would have had HHS on the schedule to challenge them, identify their weaknesses and expose them to HHS speed and athleticism, that it possibly could have prepared them better for BG? They played BG very well, but could it have propelled them past them if they had seen that kind of speed, strength and athleticism in a team like the Birds. My point, no matter who you play, if you aren't exposed to a great team (any great team), then you will likely not be prepared enough to overcome a great team when you have to face them. I was rooting for Cooper in the game big time. But I just didn't ever feel they were going to overcome BG.

To answer your question, if Cooper played Highlands last year would it of helped them to win state? Would it have shown their weaknesses? No.

Cooper knew exactly what their strengths and weaknesses were last year and playing other teams such as Boone and Conner etc. helped them prepare for the run they made in the playoffs. Highlands wouldn't of really given them any information they didn't already have. As far as speed, they faced some of the fastest players in the area last year in Nick Kennedy for Ryle and Cam Fogle from Conner and a couple speedsters from Boone, they also faced who I thought was the best QB we faced when it came to rushing and that was Durham from CC. They also faced great receivers from So. Oldham and the speedster mr everything in Timmons from Franklin.

Highlands although a great team last year would not of done anything more than any other team Cooper faced imo. Also the fact that I believe next to Trinity, BG was the 2nd best team in state and except for the first 2 offensive plays Cooper had in the title game pretty much played them pretty good the rest of the way.

Cooper does something along with the other schools in Boone county which some other schools in other counties may not do and that is each year because of the close proximity all 4 schools are from eachother, they make sure they play all the schools in their county. It's a nice thing to do and a great way to build the football atmosphere among neighbors. So right off the bat you already have 2 non district games they have to play and then the district games cover another 4 games and this year they have added 2 new teams to their schedule in SK and CC along with their game against Dixie really doesn't leave a lot of games to go seek out.

If Cooper didn't play the 3 other Boone county schools, that would be like CCH not playing Beechwood each year. Those games are huge for the schools involved.

I hope that answered your question. Also I hope you don't take it the wrong way, but the arrogance still comes through sometimes even when your not trying to come off sounding that way. when people say things like "Don't you think playing Highlands will help your team because Highlands has the speed etc. to expose your weaknesses" That kind of stuff is the unintended arrogance that we were talking about. Highlands is a great team and I root for them to win state just as I do any team from this area who makes it to the finals, but they aren't the end all, there are other schools out there that interest me more depending on their stories, and that changes year to year depending on the circumstances.

I think BG and Trinity were #1 and 2 last year, simply an opinion. This year it may be Trinity, St X and Highlands and BG fighting for the top spot, it's football season and that means all is well in the world :)

A question that I honestly don't mean as a shot against anyone. If taken that way I apologize in advance I swear I don't mean it to be snarky in any way. Some from outside the T and H communities have questioned why there is such excitement for a scrimmage. Do you think that maybe the excitement about football, any football even a scrimmage, within those communities could play any part in the continued success these programs have enjoyed? Just an estimate but I bet there were 500 people at Trinity last night for an intersquad scrimmage. Do you think that if some of that excitement started within other communities around the state that the level of football in those places might improve?

I believe that it absolutely would.

As a NewCath grad, and near life long HHS hater, I cannot ignore the excitement around this little community about ALL THINGS HHS.

Academics AND Athletics. It's like freaking quicksand!

Went from hater, to sporting "HHS" gear, to my first "Super Booster" car magnet in a very short time.

It has to have a massive impact on those kids because they are living it.

Any school/program that could generate half the energy of a Trinity or HHS would have to exponential improvements on the field and off.

Why does it matter this year? In past years most HHS fans have bent over backwards explaining how Dale just uses these games to work on some things and get plenty of reps for as many players as possible. Is it the fact that Trinity is expected to be down and Highlands is expected to be really good? Is Dale going to try to win the scrimmage this year?

Highlands is a Great Program one of the best in the history of the state bar none, but you guys kill me...:lol2:

I'll take issue with your statement that most HHS fans have bent over backwards explaining how Dale just uses these games to work on some things...etc. I strongly doubt that most HHS fans who post on here feel that way and even if they did, the number of HHS fans posting on here constitute a small, make it very small, portion of HHS fans. The large majority of HHS fans clearly understood that the butt whippings received from Trinity the last 2 years is simply a result of Trinity being much better than Highlands the last 2 years. Nothing more; nothing less.

I believe that it absolutely would.

As a NewCath grad, and near life long HHS hater, I cannot ignore the excitement around this little community about ALL THINGS HHS.

Academics AND Athletics. It's like freaking quicksand!

Went from hater, to sporting "HHS" gear, to my first "Super Booster" car magnet in a very short time.

It has to have a massive impact on those kids because they are living it.

Any school/program that could generate half the energy of a Trinity or HHS would have to exponential improvements on the field and off.

Great to have you on board the HHS team. Yeah, we won't put on a pad and we won't play a down, but the support and enthusiasm of the HHS fans is a big part of the success by the players and coaches. And in that way, we are part of the HHS "team".

To answer your question, if Cooper played Highlands last year would it of helped them to win state? Would it have shown their weaknesses? No.

Cooper knew exactly what their strengths and weaknesses were last year and playing other teams such as Boone and Conner etc. helped them prepare for the run they made in the playoffs. Highlands wouldn't of really given them any information they didn't already have. As far as speed, they faced some of the fastest players in the area last year in Nick Kennedy for Ryle and Cam Fogle from Conner and a couple speedsters from Boone, they also faced who I thought was the best QB we faced when it came to rushing and that was Durham from CC. They also faced great receivers from So. Oldham and the speedster mr everything in Timmons from Franklin.

Highlands although a great team last year would not of done anything more than any other team Cooper faced imo. Also the fact that I believe next to Trinity, BG was the 2nd best team in state and except for the first 2 offensive plays Cooper had in the title game pretty much played them pretty good the rest of the way.

Cooper does something along with the other schools in Boone county which some other schools in other counties may not do and that is each year because of the close proximity all 4 schools are from eachother, they make sure they play all the schools in their county. It's a nice thing to do and a great way to build the football atmosphere among neighbors. So right off the bat you already have 2 non district games they have to play and then the district games cover another 4 games and this year they have added 2 new teams to their schedule in SK and CC along with their game against Dixie really doesn't leave a lot of games to go seek out.

If Cooper didn't play the 3 other Boone county schools, that would be like CCH not playing Beechwood each year. Those games are huge for the schools involved.

I hope that answered your question. Also I hope you don't take it the wrong way, but the arrogance still comes through sometimes even when your not trying to come off sounding that way. when people say things like "Don't you think playing Highlands will help your team because Highlands has the speed etc. to expose your weaknesses" That kind of stuff is the unintended arrogance that we were talking about. Highlands is a great team and I root for them to win state just as I do any team from this area who makes it to the finals, but they aren't the end all, there are other schools out there that interest me more depending on their stories, and that changes year to year depending on the circumstances.

I think BG and Trinity were #1 and 2 last year, simply an opinion. This year it may be Trinity, St X and Highlands and BG fighting for the top spot, it's football season and that means all is well in the world :)

So if it is okay for you to think we are arrogant to think Cooper would have been better prepared to play BG if Cooper has played HHS, is it okay for us to think you are stupid for thinking that way? :isurrender:

So if it is okay for you to think we are arrogant to think Cooper would have been better prepared to play BG if Cooper has played HHS, is it okay for us to think you are stupid for thinking that way? :isurrender:

Actually that is the arrogance I was talking about. In your eyes, only Highlands could of prepared Cooper to play BG. I rest my case.

Actually that is the arrogance I was talking about. In your eyes, only Highlands could of prepared Cooper to play BG. I rest my case.

Or looked at from my perspective, actually that is the stupidity I was talking about. In your eyes, playing Boone could have prepared Cooper to deal with the overall team speed, offense style and two platoon system of BG. I rest my case.

Or looked at from my perspective, actually that is the stupidity I was talking about. In your eyes, playing Boone could have prepared Cooper to deal with the overall team speed, offense style and two platoon system of BG. I rest my case.

Well apparently the games Cooper played prepared them plenty seeing how no one outside the Cooper fAmily ever dreamed Cooper would have went as far as they did last year. Shoot there were people here not even predicting a playoff win.

So apparently NOT playing Highlands last year prepared Cooper just fine. But your arrogance as if all cooper had to do to win state was to play highlands is a joke.

Did every team that highlands played last year win state? I rest my case.