Profiling

Plato

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Everyone profiles and everyone has been profiled at some point. When I was young, I was profiled often, to the point of being harassed at times. Even then, I understood it's human nature.

I was always profiled when I was dating in High School which is why I never got to date the head cheerleader :ohbrother:

When growing up in Fort Thomas, I was always profiled by the police as a teen. Still is probably the same way today. Wherever I drove it always seemed a cop always had the same route to my house as me. Strange

I'm not sure this is what you mean, so forgive me if it isn't... But I disagree that it's human nature to negatively profile people.

Profiling is human nature which I think is what he meant. Even though the results were negative for him he understood why he was being profiled. At least that's how I took it.

We are programmed to look for and be wary of things that are different from ourselves. I guess we haven't advance far enough along the evolutionary chain to have changed all that much.

I am keenly aware of those around me. Happy, sad, angry, aggressive, crazy, dangerous, etc. are all on my natural radar. I don't feel that this is something I should "fix". In case you haven't noticed, some people are nuts, should not be trusted on sight, and it is wise to keep your distance and have defenses ready.

In my book this is NOT profiling. If it is, I am guilty and will continue to be.

I'm not sure this is what you mean, so forgive me if it isn't... But I disagree that it's human nature to negatively profile people.
75center explained it very well. It's in our makeup to be cautious of others and it's pretty normal to be suspicious of those that "look a certain way". I don't mean black vs white vs brown by that. For instance, when I was young pretty much every parent of the guys I hung around with thought I was a big pot smoker and possibly into even worse simply because of the length of my hair, the clothes I wore and so on. Funny thing was, their kids were the pot smokers, I didn't care for the stuff. I was also continuously "harassed" by the cops when I was young for pretty much the same reason. When I got my own car at the age of 17, I was pulled over constantly because it was a beater and I played rock music loudly, not to mention the way I looked, they profiled me. I understood why then, I just refused to be something other than what I was regardless of what others thought and dealt with the profiling.

75center explained it very well. It's in our makeup to be cautious of others and it's pretty normal to be suspicious of those that "look a certain way". I don't mean black vs white vs brown by that. For instance, when I was young pretty much every parent of the guys I hung around with thought I was a big pot smoker and possibly into even worse simply because of the length of my hair, the clothes I wore and so on. Funny thing was, their kids were the pot smokers, I didn't care for the stuff. I was also continuously "harassed" by the cops when I was young for pretty much the same reason. When I got my own car at the age of 17, I was pulled over constantly because it was a beater and I played rock music loudly, not to mention the way I looked, they profiled me. I understood why then, I just refused to be something other than what I was regardless of what others thought and dealt with the profiling.

Dealt with the image you chose to portray.

I wish everyone would own the image they choose to portray.

So...it's OK that because y'all are male I assume you are self-centered, misogynists?

I think you have every right to assume that it is a possibility and then move forward from there.

Dealt with the image you chose to portray.

I wish everyone would own the image they choose to portray.

Chose to portray? No. It's who I was. And just for the record, I didn't say some profiling wasn't worse than others. Also, if you dress a certain way or fit a description (like young and wearing a hoodie where people young wearing hoodies are breaking into homes) regardless of skin color you're likely to be profiled. Aren't you choosing the image you want to portray if you wear a hoodie and baggy pants? I'm not taking either side on the GZ/TM case because I wasn't there and don't know enough facts and neither does anyone else.

You think I'm not profiled now if I walk into an all black neighborhood? You're fooling yourself if you say I'm not. What am I choosing to do there? Please don't answer with I should stay out those neighborhoods because if you do, you're shooting your whole point down.

Everyone profiles. Everyone. Those that say they don't are lying to themselves.