Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Profiling

Featured Replies

I really am as cool as you think. :D

I figured you were :cool:

  • Replies 53
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
motherscratchers.

 

I'm a big fan of this word & am installing it into my vocabulary. Thanks Doc! :thumb:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40417[/ATTACH]

 

Been trying to download some Fatjason and the Timberlakes, but they got that stuff locked up tight...you gotta pay for it!

Pretty good supposition. Now do one out of suburbia.

  • Author

You couldn't do it in an urban area... too likely someone would get shot or beat down :). (Looking for a gas being poured on a fire icon)

I'm a bit confused how the term 'profiling' has been used.

 

Looking at the Zimmerman/Martin situation, consider 2 scenarios:

 

1. There has been no recent crime activity in the neighborhood, GZ notices a black teen walking around and starts following him and calls 911.

 

2. There have been multiple recent crimes that have been attributed to young black men or teens in the neighborhood, GZ notices a black teen walking around and starts following him and calls 911.

 

Is there a difference here? I thought #1 was profiling and #2 seems like common sense but could be profiling too.

 

Am I thinking of this correctly? Are these scenarios different in regards to profiling?

 

(editors note GZ may have still gone too far even if #2 is close to the scenario that actually happened in his mind. I didn't follow the trial so I'm not claiming either scenario as factual.)

Edited by BlueTip

I walk for exercise. The other day I was walking past a nice home with a large yard. The watchdog of this yard followed me the entire length of the lawn where it meets the sidewalk barking his head off. Not unusual of course, as this is typical behavior for a dog defending his territory.

 

I did not look at him as I was pretty sure that would excite him even more. I was not a threat, but of course he didn't know that. He'd never seen me before. I didn't know his name, so I couldn't try to chill him out with a friendly "That's a good Spot... good boy"

 

As I finally got far enough away from him to settle down, I began to ponder how human's, just as dogs have a natural instinct to size up passer-byers to make sure they are not a threat.

 

Essentially this dog was profiling me as a threat, although I wasn't one. He wasn't going to chance it, and wanted it to be known emphatically that I better not invade his territory.

 

We are not that different than dogs, however most of us as civilized humans have been trained to act out in a more subdued fashion so as to not encourage a confrontation. In some cases humans let their dogs give strangers the "what for" so that they don't have to, and it's more socially acceptable, and just as effective.

 

Them having a watchdog who profiles us is just pretty much the same as the human being the profiler, but using their dog as the surrogate.

 

Ultimately what I'm getting at is, is that's it's a downright natural instinct to profile as a protection to our survival. Sure, just as the dog, we may not always be correct that who we profile is a threat, but we're typically not going to chance it.

 

If you've grown up in a community that is 99.9999% civilized... you might not view the world and the people in it as much of a threat if that's where you stay most of your life, and may not ever develop any knee-jerk reaction to a stranger in your neighborhood, just as long and they too look civilized.

 

On the flip side, if you've seen in your lifetime various acts of crime and the looks of the various people who commit them, no matter the race, you begin to size up folks by their looks and instantly surmise the chances of them to not be trustworthy. You again might be wrong, but you're not going to chance it. It's unfortunate when you hear of someone being mistakenly profiled and treated as such, but it's still just perpetrated by our natural instincts with a decent helping of our training.

 

It's obviously becoming politically incorrect to be viewed as a profiler, but it's just downright part of our makeup. If we don't protect ourselves, who the hell will?

 

What's next... will it be politically incorrect and socially unacceptable to be human?

Edited by B-Ball-fan

I profile all the time. Thats why I when I go to the airport, while waiting for a plane I sit facing the main concourse. For some reason people watching is fairly entertaining. I dont think profiling is wrong, but acting on it is what makes it wrong.

The day we stop judging, is the day we stop profiling.

I profile all the time. Thats why I when I go to the airport, while waiting for a plane I sit facing the main concourse. For some reason people watching is fairly entertaining. I dont think profiling is wrong, but acting on it is what makes it wrong.

Acting on it in a negative way is wrong. I'm sure single people profile a lot when dating, I wouldn't call that a bad thing.

I walk for exercise. The other day I was walking past a nice home with a large yard. The watchdog of this yard followed me the entire length of the lawn where it meets the sidewalk barking his head off. Not unusual of course, as this is typical behavior for a dog defending his territory.

 

I did not look at him as I was pretty sure that would excite him even more. I was not a threat, but of course he didn't know that. He'd never seen me before. I didn't know his name, so I couldn't try to chill him out with a friendly "That's a good Spot... good boy"

 

As I finally got far enough away from him to settle down, I began to ponder how human's, just as dogs have a natural instinct to size up passer-byers to make sure they are not a threat.

 

Essentially this dog was profiling me as a threat, although I wasn't one. He wasn't going to chance it, and wanted it to be known emphatically that I better not invade his territory.

 

 

I think he just wanted that snausages you had in your pocket

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.