Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Profiling

Featured Replies

In the Zimmerman thread there is a lot of talk about profiling. This thread is intended to have a wider scope than just the Zimmerman case.

 

In my opinion it is naive to pretend that people do not profile.

 

If you walk down my street dressed in a way that makes you look like a punk who is rebelling against societal norms, I am probably going to be skeptical of you. Call it profiling if you want, I call it common sense.

  • Replies 53
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I "profile" every time I see someone - consciously and subconsciously. We all do. The issue is what happens next.

  • Author

I agree Clyde. 100%. And that depends on both the profiler and the profilee.

I "profile" every time I see someone - consciously and subconsciously. We all do. The issue is what happens next.

 

Pretty much what I was thinking.

Exactly what I said in the Zimmerman thread. Everyone profiles and it isn't always wrong.

We profile when meeting someone for the first time depending on the situation.

 

You have a business meeting with someone for the first time and meeting them for lunch, you profile everyone walking in to see if they are in business attire or whatever to see if it is the person you are meeting.

 

Profiling isn't always a bad thing, but a necessity in some cases. Police get a call about a speeding reckless vehicle and the only description is a convertible sports car, then all convertible sports cars are profiled etc.

 

It's how profiling is used which can make it wrong, not profiling itself.

I "profile" every time I see someone - consciously and subconsciously. We all do. The issue is what happens next.

 

In Cultural Diversity classes they will often relate that it is in our DNA to look for differences and profile on first looks. Comes about from the time of early man when it often meant life or death when meeting someone for the first time.

In Cultural Diversity classes they will often relate that it is in our DNA to look for differences and profile on first looks. Comes about from the time of early man when it often meant life or death when meeting someone for the first time.

 

Now we are getting into a gray area...the difference between profiling and being judgmental.

I see a "suspicious" person walking around in my neighborhood (regardless of color), first thing I do is go to the window and watch to see where they go. It's happened several times over the years. Only reason I haven't gotten up and physically "followed" them is pretty much laziness, and there has been a time or two that I thought I probably should have, though nothing happened that I know of. Am I profiling? Yep, you bet.

Until you have been profiled in a negative fashion, and actually were aware of it, you more than likely can't fully understand the frustration it brings to people that have.

Until you have been profiled in a negative fashion, and actually were aware of it, you more than likely can't fully understand the frustration it brings to people that have.

 

No question on that.

How many profile other BGP users?

 

Been a lot of that going on lately.

I profile each and every one of you motherscratchers.

I profile each and every one of you motherscratchers.

 

I really am as cool as you think. :D

I really am as cool as you think. :D
It's your NFL affiliation that won me over.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.