Is the Sweet 16 still "THE GREATEST SHOW IN HOOPS?"

I hate to hear that about the tickets. I still remember the picture of the MCNapier cheerleader on stilts from a '80s session. Are the new trophies the same as the football version? That's a pretty big difference from the old gigantic version.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I have come to learn in this life - Things always change for the worse - never the better.

Having the one and only state basketball trophy being the same size as the Class A classified track trophy is ludicrous.

Not having a program for cost reasons is a cop out. Programs are a nice added touch, adding to the overall class and flavor of the event. I found the old adage that "you can't tell the players without a program" to be very true at this year's state tournament.

Incidentally, the tournament moved from Memorial Coliseum to Freedom Hall in Louisville and not Rupp. It was played for years in Louisville, where the business community did fan friendly things like "fair-trading" hotel/motel room rates, before moving to Rupp. While I'm not advocating moving the event back to Louisville, the Derby City was much more fan-friendly than Lexington.

Louisville might have been more fan friendly 20 years ago. Ask Louisville to hold it at the Yum Center and see what happens. The arenas are not cheap, Rupp or UK isn't providing the court, the KHSAA pays for it. If Louisville was the most economical and fan friendly place to have it, it would be there.

Please note, the KHSAA did not have a lead sponsor this year. This is the first time they have not had one in about 10 years. I'd say this was a major financial hit for them. I applaud the KHSAA for attempting to operate within their budget. About time we had organizations attempting to get the finances right. Keep in mind the KHSAA had their own budget blunders in the past, but that was under prior leadership.

Championship trophies were changed to make all sports' championship trophies the same size.

As a football coach I'll say that I don't necessarily like this. Not all championships are equal. The Sweet Sixteen trophy is THE trophy in the state of Kentucky. For kids in this state it might as well be a Heisman or an Emmy.

I for one didn't care much for the Saturday semi finals and Sunday final was way to much idol time for the fan but does give the players time to rest before the final. Would have been better for the fan if the NCAA tourny was being played and that would have bridged the idol times! I also agree with everything that ESPNdeux has said on this thread. Not having the programs was just wrong ,I got one each year as a keepsake. I've been going to the tourny for over 15 years and it was the best I've seen since I've been going! IMO beings they had great attendance for Saturday and Sundays games they will go to that format because they are in it for the money. THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE!

What makes it the Kentucky High School Basketball State Tournament ‘the greatest show in hoops? For me, and I can only speak for myself, what makes this tournament special. What makes ‘OUR’ high school basketball state tournament special? Are the fans. And I absolutely mean no disrespect to any player or school that has ever participated. Such small percentages actually have ties to certain high school that might be participating. And even a smaller percentage have played in the tournament or have close ties to specific current players. The Kentucky high school basketball state tournament is about the fans. People that gather from all around the state to come and make legends and idols out of teenagers. When we come out in huge groups and yell and scream, it makes the tournament. When we come together as fans and root for the little mountain school that might upset the big city school, it makes the tournament. When we find favorite teams and players from out of nowhere, it makes the tournament. The memories of past tournaments and those you spent those tournaments with are what makes the tournament. And the desire to create new memories with the next generation are what makes the tournament. These are things that will always make the Kentucky high school basketball state tournament ‘the greatest show in hoops’ to me. Give me good basketball or bad – I will be there. Give me a program or not – I will be there. Keep raising the cost, as times continue to get tougher on us all – I will be there. Change the schedule or not – I will be there. Produce some low budget pregame show, with even lamer music – I will be there. This tournament is the most special week in the year to me and nothing will ever change that, for me. As I enjoyed the games this weekend with my young nephew (probably too young to truly enjoy the games), who would have rather been playing with kid in front of us Ipad, I left Rupp thinking ‘OUR’ tournament was going to be alright, because of those young kids in the stands. I already cannot wait for next year’s tournament. It means I am one more year closer to being able to share this event with my two very young babies and continuing the tradition that my father built for us.

Are you upset your guys didn't make it? I've never seen anyone whose cheerios were more peed in. Man, you need a vacation.

Not sure what I said on the referred to thread that was inaccurate or remotely had anything to do with US.

Perhaps I'm becoming a crotchety old man but the KHSAA makes mega bucks on this event. Tickets are $15 for lower arena and $8.75 for upper deck per session. I think the fans deserve some basic amenities for their buck.

Bear in mind my statement of things changing for the worse, and then come compare notes with me when you hit 65 and see how you feel about the state of affairs then.

6. NO PICTURES ON TICKETS. One thing that was always neat about the state tourney tickets was the fact that they had pictures form the previous years tournament on them. Now they just have KHSAA logo on them.

Someone more well versed in the law might be able to help here, but would it be legal to use a minor's image in this manner? The reason I ask is because schools often have to have permission from parents before they can display their images. I assume that most people on the tickets (players, cheerleaders, band members, etc.) would or could still be minors.

Louisville might have been more fan friendly 20 years ago. Ask Louisville to hold it at the Yum Center and see what happens. The arenas are not cheap, Rupp or UK isn't providing the court, the KHSAA pays for it. If Louisville was the most economical and fan friendly place to have it, it would be there.

Please note, the KHSAA did not have a lead sponsor this year. This is the first time they have not had one in about 10 years. I'd say this was a major financial hit for them. I applaud the KHSAA for attempting to operate within their budget. About time we had organizations attempting to get the finances right. Keep in mind the KHSAA had their own budget blunders in the past, but that was under prior leadership.

I bet Mr. Tackett's food budget has not changed.

I was disappointed that the final game ceremonies were scaled back. I called my brother to bring his 6 year old to the game so he could see the light show and the confetti, but neither happened. They could have at least had the confetti. How much extra could that possibly cost?

Not sure what I said on the referred to thread that was inaccurate or remotely had anything to do with US.

Perhaps I'm becoming a crotchety old man but the KHSAA makes mega bucks on this event. Tickets are $15 for lower arena and $8.75 for upper deck per session. I think the fans deserve some basic amenities for their buck.

Bear in mind my statement of things changing for the worse, and then come compare notes with me when you hit 65 and see how you feel about the state of affairs then.

If Julian Tackett is so big on EQUITY among all sports, then why doesn't he charge fans the same admission price for ALL state championship games in ALL sports? Same trophies, no programs, etc. for all sports should = same price admission for all.

How much does KHSAA charge for admisision for their softball, baseball, football, golf, tennis, fishing, soccer, track, etc. state championships?

If Julian Tackett is so big on EQUITY among all sports, then why doesn't he charge fans the same admission price for ALL state championship games in ALL sports? Same trophies, no programs, etc. for all sports should = same price admission for all.

How much does KHSAA charge for admisision for their softball, baseball, football, golf, tennis, fishing, soccer, track, etc. state championships?

I can tell you this ... you can get an upper arena championship game ticket CHEAPER than you can get a ticket to the Track/Cross Country State Championships (if you buy at the gate .. as opposed to earlier). I am thinking it is $10.00 ... and they clear it out after each class in track (as much as they can anyway).

What makes it the Kentucky High School Basketball State Tournament ‘the greatest show in hoops? For me, and I can only speak for myself, what makes this tournament special. What makes ‘OUR’ high school basketball state tournament special? Are the fans. And I absolutely mean no disrespect to any player or school that has ever participated. Such small percentages actually have ties to certain high school that might be participating. And even a smaller percentage have played in the tournament or have close ties to specific current players. The Kentucky high school basketball state tournament is about the fans. People that gather from all around the state to come and make legends and idols out of teenagers. When we come out in huge groups and yell and scream, it makes the tournament. When we come together as fans and root for the little mountain school that might upset the big city school, it makes the tournament. When we find favorite teams and players from out of nowhere, it makes the tournament. The memories of past tournaments and those you spent those tournaments with are what makes the tournament. And the desire to create new memories with the next generation are what makes the tournament. These are things that will always make the Kentucky high school basketball state tournament ‘the greatest show in hoops’ to me. Give me good basketball or bad – I will be there. Give me a program or not – I will be there. Keep raising the cost, as times continue to get tougher on us all – I will be there. Change the schedule or not – I will be there. Produce some low budget pregame show, with even lamer music – I will be there. This tournament is the most special week in the year to me and nothing will ever change that, for me. As I enjoyed the games this weekend with my young nephew (probably too young to truly enjoy the games), who would have rather been playing with kid in front of us Ipad, I left Rupp thinking ‘OUR’ tournament was going to be alright, because of those young kids in the stands. I already cannot wait for next year’s tournament. It means I am one more year closer to being able to share this event with my two very young babies and continuing the tradition that my father built for us.

I always enjoy seeing you at the State Tourney. So Sorry I missed you this year.

As a football coach I'll say that I don't necessarily like this. Not all championships are equal. The Sweet Sixteen trophy is THE trophy in the state of Kentucky. For kids in this state it might as well be a Heisman or an Emmy.

The Trophy that the Earlington Yellowjackets won still sits in the trophy case at Earlington Elementary School. Which was the old high school. It has 4 framed pictures around it showing the last 5 seconds of the championship game. Yes, that trophy is special and its huge!

The Trophy that the Earlington Yellowjackets won still sits in the trophy case at Earlington Elementary School. Which was the old high school. It has 4 framed pictures around it showing the last 5 seconds of the championship game. Yes, that trophy is special and its huge!

So very glad to hear that this particular Trophy is still being cared for! :thumb:

I think of it occasionally near the week of the Sweet Sixteen but wish it were being kept, at a different School! :depressed::arghh: