Is the Sweet 16 still "THE GREATEST SHOW IN HOOPS?"

Is the Sweet 16 still "THE GREATEST SHOW IN HOOPS"?

Over the past two years I have noticed a huge change in the Sweet 16 for the worst. Here is what I have observed the last couple of years.

1. NO PROGRAMS this year, really small programs last year. This is terrible and the KHSAA just doesn't want to do one for all the different championship because they lose money for the other events. Therefore, don't do them for anyone then. EQUITY BABY! is what Julian Tackett is screaming.

2. CHAMPIONSHIP TROPHY. The championship trophy is now really small compared the 5 foot trophy the girls and boys used to get. This is a shame because that trophy is the most coveted trophy amongst all sports in Kentucky.

3. MVP TROPHY. The MVP trophy for Hawkins this year was a joke. It was a small 8" x 10" plaque with a gold sticker on it saying MVP of Sweet 16. Cheap and embarrassing to even give it to him this year.

4. NO CONFETTII. No confettii fell after the championship game. Too much to pay the immigrants that clean Rupp to pick it up I guess.

5. NO LASER LIGHTS. No lazer lights on the floor that spun around saying KHSAA SWEET 16 during pregame ceremonies.

6. NO PICTURES ON TICKETS. One thing that was always neat about the state tourney tickets was the fact that they had pictures form the previous years tournament on them. Now they just have KHSAA logo on them.

7. SWEET 16 GEAR NOT MUCH. Most the items for sale at the booth had only KHSAA CHAMPIONSHIPS on them instead of the 2013 KHSAA SWEET 16 logo on them. This is so they can sale the same gear at all the championship sports this year and don't have to worry about having left overs that go unsold.

8. NO PLAYER LANYARD PASSES. You usually get to see the participants wearing their participant lanyard passes around proudly during each session letting everyone know they made it to the state tournament. The KHSAA did away with them to save printing money. It was always I nice suvounir for each participant.

9. COMMENT OF THE WEEK: Julian Tackett says "most people would just throw the programs in the trash and only the old people care about them." Unbelievable comment.

The KHSAA has really started to forget this past week is the most special week in the entire year for this state. They are showing everyone that all they do is care about maximizing profits and forget about making this THE GREATEST SHOW IN HOOPS.

Does anyone else notice this recent decline in our best sporting event of the year? :no:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The change in the programs is a big mistake. Those programs are keepsakes for anyone who attends.
I have kept my programs for the past 8 years that I have had annual tickets. Last years was very cheaply made and this year not having a program at all was ashame.

Championship trophies were changed to make all sports' championship trophies the same size.

That is probably true. Maybe the KHSAA should rethink giving out multiple state championship trophies to other sports and make their state chamionship trophies the same size as basketball lol

Is the Sweet 16 still "THE GREATEST SHOW IN HOOPS"?

Over the past two years I have noticed a huge change in the Sweet 16 for the worst. Here is what I have observed the last couple of years.

1. NO PROGRAMS this year, really small programs last year. This is terrible and the KHSAA just doesn't want to do one for all the different championship because they lose money for the other events. Therefore, don't do them for anyone then. EQUITY BABY! is what Julian Tackett is screaming.

2. CHAMPIONSHIP TROPHY. The championship trophy is now really small compared the 5 foot trophy the girls and boys used to get. This is a shame because that trophy is the most coveted trophy amongst all sports in Kentucky.

3. MVP TROPHY. The MVP trophy for Hawkins this year was a joke. It was a small 8" x 10" plaque with a gold sticker on it saying MVP of Sweet 16. Cheap and embarrassing to even give it to him this year.

4. NO CONFETTII. No confettii fell after the championship game. Too much to pay the immigrants that clean Rupp to pick it up I guess.

5. NO LASER LIGHTS. No lazer lights on the floor that spun around saying KHSAA SWEET 16 during pregame ceremonies.

6. NO PICTURES ON TICKETS. One thing that was always neat about the state tourney tickets was the fact that they had pictures form the previous years tournament on them. Now they just have KHSAA logo on them.

7. SWEET 16 GEAR NOT MUCH. Most the items for sale at the booth had only KHSAA CHAMPIONSHIPS on them instead of the 2013 KHSAA SWEET 16 logo on them. This is so they can sale the same gear at all the championship sports this year and don't have to worry about having left overs that go unsold.

8. NO PLAYER LANYARD PASSES. You usually get to see the participants wearing their participant lanyard passes around proudly during each session letting everyone know they made it to the state tournament. The KHSAA did away with them to save printing money. It was always I nice suvounir for each participant.

9. COMMENT OF THE WEEK: Julian Tackett says "most people would just throw the programs in the trash and only the old people care about them." Unbelievable comment.

The KHSAA has really started to forget this past week is the most special week in the entire year for this state. They are showing everyone that all they do is care about maximizing profits and forget about making this THE GREATEST SHOW IN HOOPS.

Does anyone else notice this recent decline in our best sporting event of the year? :no:

Maybe Mr. Tackett would prefer that all the "old people" just stay home from the Sweet Sixteen, and his absurd six football "State Championship" games??

I admit I'm not a regular attendee at the Sweet 16 tournament. I did hear that KHSAA had a program on their website so you could print it out for your own use. I believe the commissioner said it saved $70K or so by not printing programs. That amount must have included other sports as well.

Quite frankly, I was not a fan of the Saturday night Sunday afternoon format. I am not a UK fan and have no interest in being in Lexington all day waiting for games at 7:30 and 9:30. And I didn't like the Sunday finals either. Get them over with Saturday night. And I didn't like them not being on the same weekend as the NCAA's. I realize that last part couldn't really be fixed.

If all is true that UKYBBALL posted, then I say NO! Kentucky's Sweet 16 was special, it stood out from all the other states, with all of the hoopla and the huge Sweet 16 trophy. With the much smaller trophy and less than stellar hoopla, we are now just like any other state!

Quite frankly, I was not a fan of the Saturday night Sunday afternoon format. I am not a UK fan and have no interest in being in Lexington all day waiting for games at 7:30 and 9:30. And I didn't like the Sunday finals either. Get them over with Saturday night. And I didn't like them not being on the same weekend as the NCAA's. I realize that last part couldn't really be fixed.

I would have the think the reason the games were played so late on Saturday was becasue of the noon UK game. Otherwise I'm sure they would have been played earlier. Also, I believe that the championship should have ALWAYS been played on Sunday afternoon. Sure it costs a little more for the fans staying to watch, BUT I believe it gives both teams a chance to rest and more opportunity to bring the A games, so I like having the finals on a Sunday.

On a side note, let me say this in general. I know a lot of people have expressed concerns about changes to the sweet 16. Change can be painful but sometimes it is needed and/or positive. Some might point to the old adage that goes something like...change just for the sake of change isn't good, which I can agree with. BUT, I would also say that tradition just for the sake of tradition isn't necessarily good either. Just because it's always been done a certian way for a long time doesn't mean that way is the best or that there isn't a better way. I think some people get hung up on "tradition" way too much.

For instance...and some of you old timers could probably speak to this but I'm just spitballing here...but I would almost bet when the Sweet 16 was moved from Memorial Col to the, at the time new Rupp Arena, some of the old die hard traditionalist at the time probably about had a heart attack. Yet if talk came about today moving it back to Memorial...well lets just say I bet that would create quite the crap storm. Just my opinion.

Let me guess...your favorite food is a lemon?

If all is true that UKYBBALL posted, then I say NO! Kentucky's Sweet 16 was special, it stood out from all the other states, with all of the hoopla and the huge Sweet 16 trophy. With the much smaller trophy and less than stellar hoopla, we are now just like any other state!

Uh no we are not. One tournament. One champion.

I would have the think the reason the games were played so late on Saturday was becasue of the noon UK game. Otherwise I'm sure they would have been played earlier. Also, I believe that the championship should have ALWAYS been played on Sunday afternoon. Sure it costs a little more for the fans staying to watch, BUT I believe it gives both teams a chance to rest and more opportunity to bring the A games, so I like having the finals on a Sunday.

On a side note, let me say this in general. I know a lot of people have expressed concerns about changes to the sweet 16. Change can be painful but sometimes it is needed and/or positive. Some might point to the old adage that goes something like...change just for the sake of change isn't good, which I can agree with. BUT, I would also say that tradition just for the sake of tradition isn't necessarily good either. Just because it's always been done a certian way for a long time doesn't mean that way is the best or that there isn't a better way. I think some people get hung up on "tradition" way too much.

For instance...and some of you old timers could probably speak to this but I'm just spitballing here...but I would almost bet when the Sweet 16 was moved from Memorial Col to the, at the time new Rupp Arena, some of the old die hard traditionalist at the time probably about had a heart attack. Yet if talk came about today moving it back to Memorial...well lets just say I bet that would create quite the crap storm. Just my opinion.

Well said!