Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coach Shoves Player - Too Far?

Featured Replies

Some debate on Twitter last night and this morning about this incident with Cal coach Mike Montgomery and one of his players.

 

I lean towards no big deal.

 

Y! SPORTS

  • Replies 40
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

Let me add that it's not very smart. It could set up an ugly situation if the player reacts with his own shove.

 

My guess is he will be suspended by his school for one game.

No big deal to me. Looked like he was trying to get his attention. He did not try to hurt him. The team mate was more aggressive when he grabbed Crabbe's jersey.

Let me add that it's not very smart. It could set up an ugly situation if the player reacts with his own shove.

 

My guess is he will be suspended by his school for one game.

 

Let me start by agreeing that it is not very smart! However, i do not think that it is fair for people to make a decision on one 30 second exchange that we see a video of. There is a lot that leads up to that point in a coach and player relationship. I would argue that the coach knows what players he can challenge and what players he can't. Should he push him no, but no one else knows the verbal exchange that lead up to it. I think everyone should sit back and watch the coach and his players relationship. If it deteriorates because of this, then maybe the coach will lose his team and then his job. If this player and his teammates respond effectively then everyone should mind their own business.

I don't think it's a huge deal... Apology and that's it.

 

Can you imagine what Cal wanted to do to some of his guys on Saturday. A shove

would have been like a pat on the butt compared to what must of went thru his mind.

Personally, I have no problem with it.

 

With that said, I think Montgomery will get a one game suspension and cannot really argue with that.

 

Off topic, but is there anything worse than one player holding another back?

  • Author

 

Off topic, but is there anything worse than one player holding another back?

 

Always a backup. Always for show.

What would the reaction have been had it been The General? Any different?

What would the reaction have been had it been The General? Any different?
He has a bad history though.

The kid responded though. Came out and led Cal down the stretch to the W. I think the apology was enough; however, I would like to know the exchange between the coach and player after the game in the locker room.

While I don't think what Montgomery did here was that big of a deal, I don't like it in general. Always the chance the player takes it differently then it was meant.

Always a backup. Always for show.

 

Just like the coach trying to act like Billy Bad *** and shoving him!

Coach doesn't have a history of this and it didn't seem excessive, I say no big deal.

I do not like it one bit!!! That is the type of shove you get or give when you are about to go!!!

 

No excuse at all. What if the roles were reversed everyone would be all over the kid? Do not give me well he is the coach and he is the player angle either, no room for it ever!!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.