February 19, 201313 yr The kid responded though. Came out and led Cal down the stretch to the W. I think the apology was enough; however, I would like to know the exchange between the coach and player after the game in the locker room. If I am the kid I ask him if he wants to shove me like that again while we are in the locker room and no cameras.
February 19, 201313 yr I have zero problem with it, given that it was not a shove, per se, as more of a "come on!". I want to also point out that #1 showed great leadership in the situation, I have a hunch I'd want that young man on my team. Nothing to see here, keep moving folks.....
February 19, 201313 yr If Mike Montgomery is a good coach, and considering he is a high level DI coach so we will assume he is, while unsavory right now. The coach and the kid could turn this into the beginning of a wonderful relationship. Once things cool off they'll likely have a heart-to-heart and hash everything out. Creating a stronger player/coach bond. Everyone is competing. While not an ideal situation, not the end of the world.
February 19, 201313 yr Well..I think the coach is putting himself and his school at risk by "shoving" the player in our litigious society. However, if I was the player, I would rather get a shove and sent back in the game rather than ignored and sent to the end of the bench.
February 19, 201313 yr No way should a coach ever put his hands on a college, high school, or even elementary kid......for those who say it makes no difference, try putting your daughter or son in that situation.....think you would change your mind real quick!!!
February 20, 201313 yr No way should a coach ever put his hands on a college, high school, or even elementary kid......for those who say it makes no difference, try putting your daughter or son in that situation.....think you would change your mind real quick!!! Did you just compare coaching a 20 year old MAN to an elementary kid? If that was my son, in that exact situation, I'd have no worries with Coach. Do it to my elementary school KID and we'd have a major problem.
February 20, 201313 yr Did you just compare coaching a 20 year old MAN to an elementary kid? If that was my son, in that exact situation, I'd have no worries with Coach. Do it to my elementary school KID and we'd have a major problem.There is absolutely 100% no difference!!!
February 20, 201313 yr There is absolutely 100% no difference!!! Yes there is. I doubt you have a problem with NFL coaches using extreme profanity with players but I have a very hard time believing that you would think its okay for a little league coach usin the same language with players. Again there is a difference with what is tolerated with coaches but It depends on the coaching level.
February 20, 201313 yr Yes there is. I doubt you have a problem with NFL coaches using extreme profanity with players but I have a very hard time believing that you would think its okay for a little league coach usin the same language with players. Again there is a difference with what is tolerated with coaches but It depends on the coaching level. We are talking about shoving a player as this thread is about...and again, no difference!!
February 20, 201313 yr We are talking about shoving a player as this thread is about...and again, no difference!! You are wrong my friend. Coaches at the higher levels do all sorts of things to motivate players, and some push the line with it. Most things that professional and college coaches do that is fine at that level would be unacceptable at the grade school level. Coach Cal as well as many others yell uncontrollably at their players and even Bob Knight did things that were kinda crazy at times but they were accepted at that level because the player was old enough to handle it, younger athletes are not mentally capable of distinguishing coach speak away from actually putting them down as a person. That's the difference.
February 20, 201313 yr You are wrong my friend. Coaches at the higher levels do all sorts of things to motivate players, and some push the line with it. Most things that professional and college coaches do that is fine at that level would be unacceptable at the grade school level. Coach Cal as well as many others yell uncontrollably at their players and even Bob Knight did things that were kinda crazy at times but they were accepted at that level because the player was old enough to handle it, younger athletes are not mentally capable of distinguishing coach speak away from actually putting them down as a person. That's the difference. Physical abuse is physical abuse no matter what age.
February 20, 201313 yr No way should a coach ever put his hands on a college, high school, or even elementary kid......for those who say it makes no difference, try putting your daughter or son in that situation.....think you would change your mind real quick!!! Umm...do you feel the same way about a professional coach and player? These college "kids" are men. They're adults.
February 20, 201313 yr Physical abuse is physical abuse no matter what age. Are you calling what occurred on that sideline physical abuse? Are you serious?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.