Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coach Shoves Player - Too Far?

Featured Replies

I saw this and of course in this day and time I understand all the negative talk about it. I do not promote or approve of a coach laying hands on a player but I will say that Mike Montgomery has 39yrs in coaching and I don't believe any history of this. Montgomery has a good name in college basketball. He has apologized and that's enough for me in this case.

  • Replies 40
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is absolutely 100% no difference!!!

 

That is your opinion, please state it as such (and your run-on exclamation points are sophomoric). That is not a fact. They are ADULTS, not kids, as you referred to them as. What he did, while not my cup of tea, is become commonplace in athletics as a "come on" motivational tactic. He didn't shove him, per se, in my opinion.

A shove, that ain't no shove. Heck they get hit harder trying to rebound the ball. Kid needs to learn to take coaching and adversity. For the player to walk off and cool himself down tells me he is hothead who can't take adversity. What's he going to do when his boss tells him he is fired, go in hall and cry. Hey kid, toughen up, you got a coach who cares or he wouldn't have done that to you, it is called tough love.

A shove, that ain't no shove. Heck they get hit harder trying to rebound the ball. Kid needs to learn to take coaching and adversity. For the player to walk off and cool himself down tells me he is hothead who can't take adversity. What's he going to do when his boss tells him he is fired, go in hall and cry. Hey kid, toughen up, you got a coach who cares or he wouldn't have done that to you, it is called tough love.
You can tell you don't have kids that compete in athletics!!
You can tell you don't have kids that compete in athletics!!

 

You do realize college athletes aren't kids, don't you?

You can tell you don't have kids that compete in athletics!!

 

For the umpteenth time, that was NOT a kid. Who are you to assume you know Mountain Ref, or that you're a better parent than anyone?

 

Ironic that your namesake, NIKE, has been sighted numerous times for unfair CHILD labor violations. Those are kids.

Would it be OK for a Boss to push an employee in the work place? I find it hard to believe any of you on here backing the coach would put up with a boss at work pushing you and I see no difference here. A coach should not be physically agressive with a player.

Would it be OK for a Boss to push an employee in the work place? I find it hard to believe any of you on here backing the coach would put up with a boss at work pushing you and I see no difference here. A coach should not be physically agressive with a player.

 

:lol:

You can tell you don't have kids that compete in athletics!!

 

Ha, I do have a kid that plays ball and he was slacking/not paying attention in practice, I went up to the coach and told him to go chew his *** out and get him focused. My son is in minor league baseball. Of course the coach is a good friend of mine too.

If that coach had done that to my college age son who is at that high of a level, i would be mad at my kid for even having the coach to have to get on to him and acting the way he did. I blame the kid, the coach does care, kid was a punk who isnt used to correction and having it easy in pick up games because he is good. So yeah when something bad happens, look how he reacts, hurts his draft status IMO. NOT COACHABLE

First of all I don't have any children. I have coached youth sports in baseball and basketball in different age levels from 8yr olds up to 15-16yr olds. There is a huge difference in how you discipline a kid depending on the age and skill level. There is a difference in different kids of the same age personalities in how you correct them as opposed to another. I always treated each kid the same as far as team goals,etc. but when talking to kids you sometime have to use a different approach depending on what gets through to him. I have had some that if you said "boo" to them they would run off and quit, others were so stubborn that you had to stay on and ride constantly to get anything out of. O.K., this will probably get some mad and I will just say that I am not talking about any one individual on here or in this thread but here it goes........some parents are THE problem. They have babied their child so much that it hurts the child. Other parents are living out there own dreams/past through their kid, way to many 12-15 year old MLB hall of fame players if you know what I mean,:sssh: little Johnny is not that good. Having said all this there imo is never a case where any coach should lay a had on any young child or on a high school age kid/player.....none.

Now imo college is way different. A lot of college players deserve a whole lot more than a shove. No, a coach shouldn't ever punch, hit or physically go to extremes on a player but I have no problem at all with an "adult butt rippin'" so to say or a shove like was in the Montgomery case. I don't necessarily approve of it but I can certainly understand it at time. One thing to remember is that a coach knows his players and what motivates each one better than any of us. Like others have said, this is not little league or high school it is college. 18-222.23yr old players.

A constant record/history of problems like a Bob Knight may need to be addressed but one time minor incidents imo are not abuse.

That is your opinion, please state it as such (and your run-on exclamation points are sophomoric). That is not a fact. They are ADULTS, not kids, as you referred to them as. What he did, while not my cup of tea, is become commonplace in athletics as a "come on" motivational tactic. He didn't shove him, per se, in my opinion.
Come on motivational is done verbally. not physically........if adults is what you call student-athletes who are away from home and get physical treatment from their father figure, which is the head coach.....then you are probably right....I just don't see it like that.....and this is definitely not commonplace as you have stated....

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.