Is CovCath v Highlands the most overrated rivalry in Kentucky?

mexitucky

Guys, all I hear about is CovCath v Highlands and how it is the best rivalry in NKY and possibly the state. I just don't see it, at least how I interpret the word rivalry.

I see rivals as teams like OSU v Michigan where the all-time series is near even, first and foremost. Competitiveness of the games is secon. Strong feelings of animosity is a distant third criteria, and team prestige is buried yet further as #4. Highlands leads CovCath 41-17. They have won 71% of the games. How does that make it a good rivalry?

I'm sure that CovCath v. Highlands was intense from the mid-80s to the mid-90s, but NewCath v Highlands was a pretty intense during that time as well. In my mind, until CovCath wins more than 3 out of 10 games, this is not a rivalry. Rather just a heated one way competition.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before people ask me, I would say that another one that gets a lot of press is NewCath - Beechwood. The series, since '01 is 8-8, I believe, and the games have been very close. However, if you look back to the beginning, '91, the series is 9-21. That's a 30% win percentage for my Breds. Right now it is a good rivalry, but it wasn't for a very long time.

Using the criteria you suggest - Highlands football is incapable of having a rival.

I would think that the all time record for HHS vs any N Ky opponent (which should be another criteria ) is closer to a 95% win percentage. CovCath being at 71%/29% would be the most balanced series.

I think it is a great rivalry. CovCath has a great football program - frosh through varsity. The games on all levels are very entertaining. The atmosphere and excitement provide the best game to attend all season. If you are a HHS fan you know what I'm talking about. Some games against other opponents you are more interested in the songs played over the PA during time outs (Western), the band at halftime (Withrow), how many kids the opponent is holding out due to injury (Ryle), or how to keep from the perception of running up the score (Pendleton, Harison, Holmes, Mason, etc...).

The final point is that each game with CovCath has meaning. Home field advantage for the playoffs or to advance in the playoffs. The Elder game will be exciting due to their level of play and the huge crowd, but the next competitive meaningful game will be against our rivals - the Blue Colonels.

Mex, it's all a matter of what one considers a rivalry. I personally place the "emotion" factor higher than I do the "competitiveness" factor, and emotions for games between Highlands and CovCath are very high. Frankly, the fact that the "wins and losses" factor has swung heavily in Highlands favor during Dale's tenure, makes it even more emotional for CovCath folks, players and coaches I think. They are sick and tired of losing to Highlands and desperately want a win. As they get more jacked up for a win, the Highlands players, coaches and fans get more jacked up to prevent that from happening. Trust me on this: no Highlands player wants to be part of "that team" that lost to CovCath and ended the streak.

So because emotions are very high between these two programs and because I place the emotion factor at the top, I still consider it a great rivalry. But I understand that others may feel differently.

Using the criteria you suggest - Highlands football is incapable of having a rival.

I would think that the all time record for HHS vs any N Ky opponent (which should be another criteria ) is closer to a 95% win percentage. CovCath being at 71%/29% would be the most balanced series.

I think it is a great rivalry. CovCath has a great football program - frosh through varsity. The games on all levels are very entertaining. The atmosphere and excitement provide the best game to attend all season. If you are a HHS fan you know what I'm talking about. Some games against other opponents you are more interested in the songs played over the PA during time outs (Western), the band at halftime (Withrow), how many kids the opponent is holding out due to injury (Ryle), or how to keep from the perception of running up the score (Pendleton, Harison, Holmes, Mason, etc...).

The final point is that each game with CovCath has meaning. Home field advantage for the playoffs or to advance in the playoffs. The Elder game will be exciting due to their level of play and the huge crowd, but the next competitive meaningful game will be against our rivals - the Blue Colonels.

For that, I feel bad for you guys. You are right. At this point, under my belief of what a rivalry is, Highlands is in "No Man's Land." They've maxed out what they can do in NKY. Either CovCath and/or 6A programs step up, or Highlands and Elder becomes something special. Other than that....

For that, I feel bad for you guys. You are right. At this point, under my belief of what a rivalry is, Highlands is in "No Man's Land." They've maxed out what they can do in NKY. Either CovCath and/or 6A programs step up, or Highlands and Elder becomes something special. Other than that....

Also, H has outscored CovCath by TWO HUNDRED POINTS...since 2006. Let that sink in. 200 pts and one of those games was a seven and the other a 3 pt. win for the Birds. Am I missing the definition of competitive?

I wouldn't say 'overrated' for the same reasons that LN stated. Sure Highlands has dominated the W/L record but I'm thinking it is always an intense game with more than just pride on the line.

Danville has dominated the rivalry with Boyle in the W/L column but that rivalry is every bit as intense as if it was tied. This year's Boyle seniors suffered their first loss to Danville this season and I guarantee that loss will sting them more than any other loss they'll experience.(with the exception of a heartbreaking loss to LexCath in the playoffs).

Which brings me to Boyle/LexCath. I'd love to see the W/L on this rivalry. Talk about two teams that despise each other on the field. As a Boyle County transplant the LexCath game means more to me than the Danville game.

I'd also like to see the Warren Central/Bowling Green W/L record as well.

Some games against other opponents you are more interested in the songs played over the PA during time outs (Western)

The choice of "Hard Knock Life" - the Original Broadway Annie Cast recording not the Jay Z recording was of particular interest. :D

IT all depends on your definition of Rivalry.

Cov Cath and Highlands isn't as big of a rivalry as Beechwood vs Cov Cath in my opinion. The so called rivalry between Cov Cath and highlands is soley a district rivalry and that is about it. Beechwood and Cov Cath means more to the folks of that community because they all live among eachother.

Same as in Boone Co. Cooper vs Conner is a big rivalry for the district, but a bigger rivalry for Cooper is Ryle simply because both schools are not only in the same city but only a mile apart.

So it depends on what type of rivalry you are talking about. AS far as saying Cov Cath vs Highlands the biggest rivalry in the state, I'd say no way.

Cov Cath and Highlands isn't as big of a rivalry as Beechwood vs Cov Cath in my opinion. Beechwood and Cov Cath means more to the folks of that community because they all live among eachother.

I tend to agree with this. Beechwood and Covington Catholic play meaningful district games in baseball, basketball, soccer, etc. throughout the year, which helps establish it as a rivalry. I think the more important games you play against a school, no matter the sport, that importance will spill across to other fields of play.