Is CovCath v Highlands the most overrated rivalry in Kentucky?

mexitucky

Somebody threw out 06 and made that a point of delineation, but that's not real. You can't pick a date and say we will evaluate from point on. Here is why it is a rivalry.

Going back to about 1982, the winner of this game was and is more often than not the State Champion.

The best team has not always won, yet the winner has gone on to a championship. Years like this are never forgotten.

Dads, grandparents, uncles, brothers, cousins, neighbors all remind you how important the game is. Not game week. All year.

Coaches coach different. Hell some of them are still pissed that they lost to the other way back in the day or that they lost as a coach in the past.

Many, many times the team that lost was the next best team in their class and watched their rival beat up on lesser teams on the way to a title. (and probably rooted for them to win)

It has a lot to do with the past. It has a lot to do with the present. There can be no more at stake than these two have, winner wins dist., hosts playoff.

Someone mentioned X and Colerain. You can lose that game and wind up a higher seed in the playoffs. Not nearly the stakes.

Lynn Ray

John Rohdenburg

Tom Duffy

Dale Mueller

Storming the field after a win.

Playing in the mud. Everyone remembers the mud bowl, but in 92 CCH wins in the regular season then gets beat at home in the mud. 1995, the conditions were horrible at CovCath and Highlands wins 3-0. That kick fails those two teams still might be playing.

Justin Frisk

Artie Stienmetz

Jared Lorenzen

Adam McCormick

Legendary games.

Legendary plays

Legendary players

Yes. It is a rivalry.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, all I hear about is CovCath v Highlands and how it is the best rivalry in NKY and possibly the state. I just don't see it, at least how I interpret the word rivalry.

I see rivals as teams like OSU v Michigan where the all-time series is near even, first and foremost. Competitiveness of the games is secon. Strong feelings of animosity is a distant third criteria, and team prestige is buried yet further as #4. Highlands leads CovCath 41-17. They have won 71% of the games. How does that make it a good rivalry?

I'm sure that CovCath v. Highlands was intense from the mid-80s to the mid-90s, but NewCath v Highlands was a pretty intense during that time as well. In my mind, until CovCath wins more than 3 out of 10 games, this is not a rivalry. Rather just a heated one way competition.

I think so, most certainly. I want to beat CovCath in any activity we match up against them. Not because I hate CovCath; quite the contrary. Because I respect them so much. Obviously we've had much more success in football but that doesn't mean I want to beat them any less in basketball, baseball, soccer, etc.

Ok, but this thread is about football. I doubt anyone in Kentucky cares about CovCath v Highlands in basketball. I know that I don't. Same for soccer and baseball. This is about those that claim CovCath v. Highlands is the premier game in the state due to its rivalry. I don't see it.

Strictly using the first post to define a rivalry, I can see some of your points, Mex. But, a rivalry is so much more than that.

In LN's post you will see, a rivalry is what's most important to a community. Knowing a lot of people affiliated with both communities forever, I can tell you that when the other school is mentioned, ears perk up. I've seen a lot of people I never thought I'd see at a soccer game there, "because it's Highlands/CovCath." Anytime the two schools meet in anythng it's a BIG deal at both schools. That spells rivalry in its most pure form to me.

Building on that, I think that's what you're missing or choosing to ignore based on the last post I quoted. It's a GCL type rivalry, in that anytime the schools compete in anything it's a BIG Deal.

As for the football rivalry, it gets more press/hype because more often than not whichever team was better in the last 30 years was most likely going to be the state champion in their class. But, that doesn't diminish what the game means in other sports to those in both communities.

Really? I don't think so. I have never seen any hype of OSU/Michigan Basketball.

I think each Rivalry is different. Some are community-based and between friends. Some are born out of hatred and some event that happened long ago. Others are simply based on an even record in a competitive Division/District/Conference.

It's unfair to compare collegiate rivalries to true high school rivalries. Duke/UNC is easily the top rivalry in college basketball. Anybody remember the last time they watched the two schools play in football?

Yes, same discussion about Holy Cross and New Cath last year. When one team wins 90% of the games, give or take it is realy not a rivalry.

Big game sure.

Fun to watch yes.

But Balance is needed for a good rivalry.

Agreed. The same could be said about Holmes v Holy Cross in basketball.

The Holmes- Covcath rivalry is turning one sided as well in hoops. (Hoping that trend continues)

When I think of best rivalries in nky, the Boone Co rivalries come to mind. Those are always very heated and on a year to year basis, you simply never know who is going to win those games.

Strictly using the first post to define a rivalry, I can see some of your points, Mex. But, a rivalry is so much more than that.

In LN's post you will see, a rivalry is what's most important to a community. Knowing a lot of people affiliated with both communities forever, I can tell you that when the other school is mentioned, ears perk up. I've seen a lot of people I never thought I'd see at a soccer game there, "because it's Highlands/CovCath." Anytime the two schools meet in anythng it's a BIG deal at both schools. That spells rivalry in its most pure form to me.

Building on that, I think that's what you're missing or choosing to ignore based on the last post I quoted. It's a GCL type rivalry, in that anytime the schools compete in anything it's a BIG Deal.

As for the football rivalry, it gets more press/hype because more often than not whichever team was better in the last 30 years was most likely going to be the state champion in their class. But, that doesn't diminish what the game means in other sports to those in both communities.

I agree that this is THE game in both communities. My issue was with the many posts that I see that say that this is the biggest football rivalry in the state. It isn't.

If you tell someone in Louisville that Holmes and Scott are playing and Holmes holds a 42-17 overall advantage, but every once in awhile the games are close and it used to be a really good rivalry 20 years ago, they wouldn't care. Right now, this rivalry is all hype due to the names of the programs. Highlands gets fired up for it b/c they have nobody else around here to even give them a game. CovCath gets fired up b/c they can't beat Highlands. For people on the outside, that just doesn't make it a good rivalry.

I agree that this is THE game in both communities. My issue was with the many posts that I see that say that this is the biggest football rivalry in the state. It isn't.

If you tell someone in Louisville that Holmes and Scott are playing and Holmes holds a 42-17 overall advantage, but every once in awhile the games are close and it used to be a really good rivalry 20 years ago, they wouldn't care. Right now, this rivalry is all hype due to the names of the programs. Highlands gets fired up for it b/c they have nobody else around here to even give them a game. CovCath gets fired up b/c they can't beat Highlands. For people on the outside, that just doesn't make it a good rivalry.

Agree also over he 4 years my kid played I thought the JC game was the one we looked forward to then the CC at our house. Yes you can say the same thing there 4-0 lead there but that was the challenge game of the year. Not CC

Agree also over he 4 years my kid played I thought the JC game was the one we looked forward to then the CC at our house. Yes you can say the same thing there 4-0 lead there but that was the challenge game of the year. Not CC

My head hurts from reading your post. Need more Advil

Yes, same discussion about Holy Cross and New Cath last year. When one team wins 90% of the games, give or take it is realy not a rivalry.

Big game sure.

Fun to watch yes.

But Balance is needed for a good rivalry.

That is why the Bengals have no rivalries except the lowly Browns :sssh:

I always wondered why people say Highlands football ruins the other sports. So I did some research and here are my findings on the big three sports. Football, Baksetball and Baseball. Sorry to all Soccer fans.

Since 1980 in Basketball Highlands has won 9th region 8 Times(Last being 2001), NC- 2 times(Last being 200), CC - 3 Times(Last being 2006)

Baseball state tournament appearances all time, Highlands(3) last time being 1995, CC(3) last time being 2002, NC(17) last time being 2011

Football since 1980 - Highlands 14 state titles(last being 2012), NC- 4 state titles(Last being 2010), CC 6 State titles(Last being 2006)

I am NC grad but kids now attend HHS. Even though I despised HHS and CC you always knew they were the teams to beat most of the time in any sport.

Based on the above stats HHS still has been very competitive in all sports...I believe even in the Soccer world which is not even a real sport(kidding)

When it comes to football I would love to see the old NC-HHS game played but do understand that HHS is now twice the school of NCC boys enrollment. When I was at NC the HHS-NC game was right there with the CC game.

Hopefully these highschool rivalries will continue as they are great for both the Schools and the communities. At the end of the day it is still about the kids and them having an exciting highschool memory like us old folks.

I am now a Highlands fan with a Breds heart. Still love to hate the Colonels :)

I always wondered why people say Highlands football ruins the other sports. So I did some research and here are my findings on the big three sports. Football, Baksetball and Baseball. Sorry to all Soccer fans.

Since 1980 in Basketball Highlands has won 9th region 8 Times(Last being 2001), NC- 2 times(Last being 200), CC - 3 Times(Last being 2006)

Baseball state tournament appearances all time, Highlands(3) last time being 1995, CC(3) last time being 2002, NC(17) last time being 2011

Football since 1980 - Highlands 14 state titles(last being 2012), NC- 4 state titles(Last being 2010), CC 6 State titles(Last being 2006)

I am NC grad but kids now attend HHS. Even though I despised HHS and CC you always knew they were the teams to beat most of the time in any sport.

Based on the above stats HHS still has been very competitive in all sports...I believe even in the Soccer world which is not even a real sport(kidding)

When it comes to football I would love to see the old NC-HHS game played but do understand that HHS is now twice the school of NCC boys enrollment. When I was at NC the HHS-NC game was right there with the CC game.

Hopefully these highschool rivalries will continue as they are great for both the Schools and the communities. At the end of the day it is still about the kids and them having an exciting highschool memory like us old folks.

I am now a Highlands fan with a Breds heart. Still love to hate the Colonels :)

Then again if you just used only the years from 2000 to the present how many Baseball or Basketball Ninth Region Championship would HHS have?

Basketball 1

Baseball 0

I think having only 1 Ninth Region Championship in the last 11 years or so in Basketball and or Baseball, proves the point about Football at HHS!

SO HHS has 7 Football state titles and 1 Basketball and CC has 1 football state title, 1 baseball, and 2 Basketball in past 11 years....so you have one more baseball and one more basketball in 11 YEARS please forgive me but that is not an impressive stat on your "OVERALL" sports program. So you are ok in all sports, HHS is ok in most sports, dominate in Football.

Regular season game. The weather forcast on game day called for washout rain.

highlands.jpg

You couldn't have fit another person in the place with a shoe horn.

It is a great rivalry in football and in all other sports. (Can't believe the soccer team was shut out 1-0 by the Birds.)

Mutual respect for what both schools produce in the classroom and on the field/court/course/pool/fairway/ track/diamond/alley.

Beat Highlands!!