The sooner UK makes a coaching change the sooner...

theguru

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not talking about public statements made by Petrino, but believe whatever you like. Petrino is NOT going to ever coach the University of Kentucky football program.

You all sure also seemed to believe that he wouldn't leave UL when he did either. You have to realize that Petrino is not going to get a top notch coaching gig for his next job, shoot some college football people have even said he may even have to just take an OC gig if he does not want to take a step down again as a head coach. Petrino's life just hit a brickwall, he just had a team that could have possibly competed for the title this year, and now he is no longer apart of that. Things change when your life has a big change like it has for him.

UK may not even try to go after him, but if UK did I bet you he definitely would listen and give it a strong consideration. My fellow UK fans woudln't like it, but UK would be a good stepping stone job for him to get a bigger job again at a true football school.

You all sure also seemed to believe that he wouldn't leave UL when he did either. You have to realize that Petrino is not going to get a top notch coaching gig for his next job, shoot some college football people have even said he may even have to just take an OC gig if he does not want to take a step down again as a head coach. Petrino's life just hit a brickwall, he just had a team that could have possibly competed for the title this year, and now he is no longer apart of that. Things change when your life has a big change like it has for him.

UK may not even try to go after him, but if UK did I bet you he definitely would listen and give it a strong consideration. My fellow UK fans woudln't like it, but UK would be a good stepping stone job for him to get a bigger job again at a true football school.

Petrino will have a better job offer than Kentucky. He's a snake, but he's a snake that wins in a very exciting way with lots of points.

Petrino would take a job in a less prestigious conference with a chance to win and rehab his rep rather than try to lead Kentucky to moderate success in the SEC. There are just easier places to win enough to get a better job in a year or two. But I'll point out again that I don't think he'll need to wait that long. Some program with resources and a commitment to football success is going to decide that he's worth the baggage he brings, maybe that he's even chastened enough to be somewhat trusted.

Petrino said things about UK football when it was "nobody here but us chickens" (and no Louisville fans to play to) that would get me banned if I repeated them here, even if I used asterisks. You have a better chance with Gruden. Just sayin'.

Petrino will have a better job offer than Kentucky. He's a snake, but he's a snake that wins in a very exciting way with lots of points.

Petrino would take a job in a less prestigious conference with a chance to win and rehab his rep rather than try to lead Kentucky to moderate success in the SEC. There are just easier places to win enough to get a better job in a year or two. But I'll point out again that I don't think he'll need to wait that long. Some program with resources and a commitment to football success is going to decide that he's worth the baggage he brings, maybe that he's even chastened enough to be somewhat trusted.

Petrino said things about UK football when it was "nobody here but us chickens" (and no Louisville fans to play to) that would get me banned if I repeated them here, even if I used asterisks. You have a better chance with Gruden. Just sayin'.

You hear have of players bad mouthing teams in pro sports yet one day end up playing for those teams, things happens. No one in the world would have ever thought Jason Taylor would go to the Jets after how much he always said he hated the Jets, etc and he still ended up there. It is one thing to say it, and it is another when you might need a job. A chance to be back in KY and in the SEC and with the money UK possibly could try to spend on him probably would get him to consider it. As I said chances are UK probably won't even try to get him anyways because UK doesn't seem like they want to go after good coaches who could turn their program around. However if they do actually try, I bet you he would listen. Not to mention if he could even just get UK going in the right direction it could lead to him landed a true big football program job. It all comes down to if UK would even try for him.

Dino Babers from Eastern Illinois. First year coach that came from Baylor and worked with RG3. I met him this summer and watched him run a full contact camp for recruits. He was very impressive the way he handled the camp and the way he motivated the kids. He had an eye for detail and noticed the little things going on during the camp. It maybe one or two years early for him but he is an excellent coach.

I will put a different take on this, and its from personal experience. I like Joker, as a face for UK football, and football around UK. We have a 7 on 7 tournament every year at UK, his staff of coaches run the event, like clock work, he and the staff take time out in between the games to visit with each coach there, the kids, shake hands and the like. Joker always ask what can UK do to help you guys.

That may sound silly, but to MS and HS kids and coaches, that means something. Charlie strong for example, was at U of L 7 on 7 when we where handing out the trophies, and we asked him to hand out the trophies and his response, "why bother, im not recruiting any of these kids" Ok yes coach their 7th and 8th graders and your not today, but we have 23 teams from KY here, you might be tomorrow. He just doesn't care.

UK will not win an SEC championship, that's a given, no one is disputing that. Can they be more competitive, yes they should be. Give Joker the funds and resources to hire better asst coaches, that yes may leave in 2 or 3 years for bigger things, but still that will help. I am with some on here about who else can we get, a bigger name certainly isn't coming here.

Just my 4 cents.

He may be a great guy but that still doesn't mean he can coach.

You hear have of players bad mouthing teams in pro sports yet one day end up playing for those teams, things happens. No one in the world would have ever thought Jason Taylor would go to the Jets after how much he always said he hated the Jets, etc and he still ended up there. It is one thing to say it, and it is another when you might need a job. A chance to be back in KY and in the SEC and with the money UK possibly could try to spend on him probably would get him to consider it. As I said chances are UK probably won't even try to get him anyways because UK doesn't seem like they want to go after good coaches who could turn their program around. However if they do actually try, I bet you he would listen. Not to mention if he could even just get UK going in the right direction it could lead to him landed a true big football program job. It all comes down to if UK would even try for him.

I find that prospect completely laughable. Can't take any money away from basketball.

I saw someone post this in the comments section on KSR and found it quite interesting...

UK football coaches’ records through 27 games since 1973:

Hal Mumme: 14-13

Joker Philips: 12-15

Fran Curci: 12-14-1

Guy Morriss: 9-14

Jerry Claiborne: 9-16-2

Bill Curry: 10-17

Rich Brooks: 7-20

I know most will just say that it's still not good enough. He took over a solid program and ran downhill with it. Still, those stats speak to something.

I saw someone post this in the comments section on KSR and found it quite interesting...

I know most will just say that it's still not good enough. He took over a solid program and ran downhill with it. Still, those stats speak to something.

Totally worthless numbers. Brooks took over in the middle of NCAA sanctions and left on a school record bowl streak. Joker took over at a high point and has only gotten worse. Add to that the fact that Joker had already been in the program for years, and he doesn't get the benefit of "give him time to get his guys in."

Brooks

2003: 4-8

2004: 2-9

2005: 3-8

2006: 8-5

2007: 8-5

2008: 7-6

2009: 7-6

Joker

2010: 6-7

2011: 5-7

2012: best case seems to be 4-8 (Kent St, WKU, Samford, and a lucky one against Miss St, Vandy, or ???)

Not apples to apples. Now UK has one more "buy game" per season.