Facebook friend criteria

themayor

This is going to come off somewhat rude, but here it goes. It is actually more of a theory.

I have noticed a lot of my contemporaries that have been on FB for almost 10 years, since the time it was exclusive to .edu email addresses are most fed up with FB and what it has evolved in to. Not just from a website perspective, but also the crowd it now attracts. My generation has grown up with computers, so we know the advantages it can bring, but also the negatives. The majority of what myself and friends find "goofy/silly/stupid/etc." content from "friends" comes from those really young that have no idea what they are doing, and those beyond our generation. I think a lot of it is just an unwritten code of FB - and social networking in general - that it takes some time to develop a sense of what is acceptable and what is not. Most people I grew up with or that had accounts from the beginning are nowhere near as active now, because they have aged and matured in FB years. I am not these people do not belong on FB, just that many in my generation feel some need to pass a litmus test first :D

The best analogy I can make is that at one time everyone was part of a private golf course, then membership was opened up the rest of the nation. Not in a Bushwood, Caddyshack II type of way, but sort of :D

My 20something adult children would agree with you.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to come off somewhat rude, but here it goes. It is actually more of a theory.

I have noticed a lot of my contemporaries that have been on FB for almost 10 years, since the time it was exclusive to .edu email addresses are most fed up with FB and what it has evolved in to. Not just from a website perspective, but also the crowd it now attracts. My generation has grown up with computers, so we know the advantages it can bring, but also the negatives. The majority of what myself and friends find "goofy/silly/stupid/etc." content from "friends" comes from those really young that have no idea what they are doing, and those beyond our generation. I think a lot of it is just an unwritten code of FB - and social networking in general - that it takes some time to develop a sense of what is acceptable and what is not. Most people I grew up with or that had accounts from the beginning are nowhere near as active now, because they have aged and matured in FB years. I am not these people do not belong on FB, just that many in my generation feel some need to pass a litmus test first :D

The best analogy I can make is that at one time everyone was part of a private golf course, then membership was opened up the rest of the nation. Not in a Bushwood, Caddyshack II type of way, but sort of :D

This seems like a very good theory. I will say that there needs to be a MySpace Corollary added to this. Some of my worst offenders are our generation but they were late to Facebook which can usually be attributed to MySpace's downfall...

I agree, I use to really enjoy it but now I get very annoyed at what some people on there. I don't care what you made for supper each night unless I'm invited to eat.

So....you don't want to know about the fresh peach cobbler I just made or the flank steak I am marinating for grilling later? I won't mention, then, the risotto I'm planning to make using homegrown tomatoes and basil and locally produced parmesan cheese, or the marinated vegetable skewers I'll be grilling with the steak.

So....you don't want to know about the fresh peach cobbler I just made or the flank steak I am marinating for grilling later? I won't mention, then, the risotto I'm planning to make using homegrown tomatoes and basil and locally produced parmesan cheese, or the marinated vegetable skewers I'll be grilling with the steak.

And please don't tell me how many reps of each type of equipment you did at the gym today! Find a way to pat yourself on your back and be satisfied with your own sense of accomplishment.

(but Rockmom, I'll pm you when I'm in your area for that peach cobbler!)

And please don't tell me how many reps of each type of equipment you did at the gym today! Find a way to pat yourself on your back and be satisfied with your own sense of accomplishment.

(but Rockmom, I'll pm you when I'm in your area for that peach cobbler!)

:lol: You got it! :D

I guess I am in the minority. I actually enjoy people's updates. It's the mundane things my friends post that make me feel like we are connected. Most of my family and friends are not in Louisville. It doesn't seem like a relationship if you only know the big things. It's the little things that are important to them that make them who they are and I appreciate them for those things.

Only if I am invited. :D

My name is Blake Preece. It should have mutual friends as there are BGP friends on there I have. Never really tried to hide who I was on here. Figured that would save a bunch of messages. If there's a comment section when you add me put your BGP name so I can put a name with a face. Anybody can feel free to add.

I approve most everybody. Don't want to hurt feelings. I figure those feelings will get hurt later when I ignore birthday notices and everything else, since I check FB about once a week, if that. I'm trying my best to altogether wean myself from it.