Chris Heisey or Drew Stubbs: Who Is Better in CF for the Cincinnati Reds?

Chris Heisey or Drew Stubbs: Who Is Better in CF for the Cincinnati Reds?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Chris Heisey or Drew Stubbs: Who Is Better in CF for the Cincinnati Reds?

• Chris Heisey
    • Drew Stubbs

I have already said they were the same age nice try man...Heisey has upside because he has hit close to .350 in his career as a pinch hitter which is the hardest job in baseball and has never had much of a chance to play everyday, the guy was the Reds Minor League player of the year...Stubbs not so much upside you know what your going to get with him, a lot of strikeouts and a lot of lackadaisical plays out in CF with the occasional HR that he will run into...Stubbs has Speed and I don't think he even has much potential for anything else at this point, I don't consider his power a tool because he swings for the fence every at bat...Heisey has shown flashes of ability and is the true definition of a baseball player...

Is it not possible that 2 guys of the same age have different upsides...Stubbs lost his prospect status a long time ago...While Heisey has also lost this status due to age he never was hyped up to the levels of the first Round pick Stubbs and has never had the opportunity that Stubbs has had even though he has performed better at every level...Have you seen Stubbs swing the bat, he swings in the same spot everytime, he is what he is a guy with leadoff speed that loves to try to hit HR's...Heisey at least has some ability to adjust his swing to the location of the pitch...

Heisey is very similar to Stubbs in every regard. However, he's not as quick, not as good defensively (you can quote all the "range" #s you want, Stubbs is better), less power, less overall talent, and only slightly better contact.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heisey is very similar to Stubbs in every regard. However, he's not as quick, not as good defensively (you can quote all the "range" #s you want, Stubbs is better), less power, less overall talent, and only slightly better contact.

Im not sure he has less power as much as he hasnt been trying for power...He hit Hrs pinch htting I think he actually has enough smarts to know that its not all about the power especially htting in front of Votto...Im not gojng to worry about his career OBP coming off the bench mostly and not always having the luxury of hitting in front of Votto..Given enoughhe time Heiseys numbers would look much better batting 2nd than Stubbs due to a better approach...Heisey has a higher SLG % and thats mostly off the bench, thats not easy...For every ball that Stubbs gets to that Heisey doesnt whicg isnt many by the way, Heisey gets to just as many by diving for balls that Stubbs would just watch...

Give me Stubbs in CF over Hesiey.

They're really not that far apart. The sad part of that is that Stubbs should be better than he is in my opinion. Doesn't get good jumps. Seldom sells out. Very average arm. Terrible at balls directly over his head or with steep angles.

Heisey has upside and Stubbs doesn't???? I stopped reading after that one. :lol:

Stubbs is 27, has no upside.

Heisey is 27, yet has upside.

Things that make ya go...."hmmm"

I stopped after giving me career averages which is useless.

They're really not that far apart. The sad part of that is that Stubbs should be better than he is in my opinion. Doesn't get good jumps. Seldom sells out. Very average arm. Terrible at balls directly over his head or with steep angles.

I agree that the margin should be much greater. You would think working with Eric Davis and Hatcher during the Spring would greatly improve Stubb's approach to fly balls.

He just doesn't have that undefinable instinct that separates great players from guys who are simply talented.

I agree that the margin should be much greater. You would think working with Eric Davis and Hatcher during the Spring would greatly improve Stubb's approach to fly balls.

He doesnt get better because he doesnt want to get better...Good coaching can only take you so far...Stubbs has more raw talent thats why he was a 1st Rounder but he still has the same flaws he has always had and is now 27...Tools are nothing if you do nothing to polish them off and go to work like you love the game...All the talk about BP hot dogging it in recent threads, I have to question those of you doing it because IMO Stubbs hot dogs it frequently when he is in the box as well as the field...The guy looks like he doesnt even care about sucking as long as he gets his check...He seems to be getting worse every year...

You know this how?

By watching him play, he is a professional athlete with many great god given abilities but yet every year he looks worse than he did the year before...He just doesnt seem to have the drive or mental makeup it takes to become a professional hitter that can bunt, draw walks and take advantage of being one if the fastest in the game...Give me the guy that at least looks like he is giving it 110% and gets the most out of his abilities...

Stubbs if he could ever learn plate discipline, hitting the other way and not swinging at every breaking ball in the dirt would be what he is built to be, a leadoff hitter...With his speed he should hit close to. 280, 50-60 SBs and a .340 or so OBP and Im sure many thought he would be that...However this isnt going to happen he hasnt made any adjustments in 3 years...

By watching him play, he is a professional athlete with many great god given abilities but yet every year he looks worse than he did the year before...He just doesnt seem to have the drive or mental makeup it takes to become a professional hitter that can bunt, draw walks and take advantage of being one if the fastest in the game...Give me the guy that at least looks like he is giving it 110% and gets the most out of his abilities...

Stubbs if he could ever learn plate discipline, hitting the other way and not swinging at every breaking ball in the dirt would be what he is built to be, a leadoff hitter...With his speed he should hit close to. 280, 50-60 SBs and a .340 or so OBP and Im sure many thought he would be that...However this isnt going to happen he hasnt made any adjustments in 3 years...

Don't be "that guy."

Just because he doesn't throw his bat and has a calm demeanor IN NO WAY says he doesn't "want to get better." That's silly.

Don't be "that guy."

Just because he doesn't throw his bat and has a calm demeanor IN NO WAY says he doesn't "want to get better." That's silly.

Does anyone on the Reds throw their bat? I dont know where thats going...He either doesnt care or doesnt have the makeup to improve, he wouldnt be the first guy to have great natural abilities but not get out of them what he should...He is a very average player for being a first round pick however I give him credit for making it to the show thats better than a lot of top picks can say...I think he has a big league spot for years to come even if not for the Reds...

He just isnt what anybody expected and he isnt any better than the 17th Rounder in Heisey...Stubbs isnt the leadoff guy he was supposed to be and he isnt the cleanup hitter he wants to be...He has a role being a 7 or 8 hitter but Dusty wont do that so Id rather see Heisey batting 2nd and playing CF...I think Stubbs has trade value still and could benefit from a change of scenery and maybe some new hitting instruction...

In a perfect world with no injuries amd without any trades Stubbs would play everyday in CF and Heisey in LF with Heisey hitting 2nd and Stubbs near the bottom, but Dusty likes platooning Heisey and doesnt think he can hit lefties...

Some more numbers for you Clyde :D Not that it matters I just find them interesting, numbers don't matter at all...

Heisey is hitting .303 over his last 30 days...

Stubbs is hitting .215 over his last 30 days...

Heisey with runners on is hitting .315 in 73 AB's

Stubbs with runners on is hitting .162 in 68 AB's

Heisey with RISP is hitting .275 in 40 AB's

Stubbs with RISP is hitting .200 in 40 AB's

Heisey with RISP 2 outs is hitting .304 in 23 AB's

Stubbs with RISP 2 outs is hitting .222 in 18 AB's

On the bright side :cool:

Heisey with Bases Empty is hitting .220 in 82 AB's

Stubbs with Bases Empty is hitting .272 in 136 AB's...Also 5 of his 7 total HR's have come with bases empty...

It's too bad Heisey got off too such a slow start...

In 78 ABs in May Heisey hit .321 with 25 Hits, 4 Doubles, 1 Triple, 1 HR, 7 RBIs with a .346 OBP...

In 102 ABs in May Stubbs hit ..225 with 23 Hits, 3 Doubles, 0 Triples, 5 HRs(4 solo), 7 RBIs with a .307 OBP...