Hatfields and McCoys

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forward to seeing it. John Ed Pearce (late writer for the Lexington H-L) wrote a nice account of this feud in his book, "Days Of Darkness".

The Hatfield-McCoy Fued was not the most violent of the Kentucky feuds, just the most publicized. The Martin-Tolliver Feud in Rowan County, the Strong-Amy and Hargis-Cockrill Feud of Breathitt County, and the Baker-White Feud of Clay County all lasted longer and were more violent. But the Hatfield -McCoy Feud is the one that everyone always thinks about when they talk about the feuds.

I missed it and I am pretty upset that I did. But, if you ask me, this movie is long overdue. Has the story ever been told before on tv/film? Was the mini-series on the History Channel done well?

The first episode will air again tonight before the second part of the three part mini series.

Anybody else watch the first chapter of this mini-series on History.

I liked it. It didn't make the people of KY and WV look like stupid hicks. The actiong was generally pretty good and it was very interesting seeing what actually happened on a feud that has gained folklore status.

Does anyone else find it funny though that the "dramatic license" has a greedy lawyer as the primary catalyst of the tensions between the families?

It wasn't "dramatic license." Perry Cline was a huge antagonist in the feud and Frank Phillips was as well. In many ways they played Ran'all McCoy to their ends.

I think it's been pretty accurate from what I've read in the past. An excellent book, though quite a few years old now, is by Otis Rice for the Kentucky Historical Society.

I'm looking forward to seeing it. John Ed Pearce (late writer for the Lexington H-L) wrote a nice account of this feud in his book, "Days Of Darkness".

The Hatfield-McCoy Fued was not the most violent of the Kentucky feuds, just the most publicized. The Martin-Tolliver Feud in Rowan County, the Strong-Amy and Hargis-Cockrill Feud of Breathitt County, and the Baker-White Feud of Clay County all lasted longer and were more violent. But the Hatfield -McCoy Feud is the one that everyone always thinks about when they talk about the feuds.

You are correct Professor about "bloodier" feuds.

However the publicity surrounding this one, coupled with the state borders and the near fight between them have led this feud to become the most famous. When the New York press sent a photographer after the fact and wrote stories about the feud - the legend really began to morph. :thumb:

It wasn't "dramatic license." Perry Cline was a huge antagonist in the feud and Frank Phillips was as well. In many ways they played Ran'all McCoy to their ends.

I think it's been pretty accurate from what I've read in the past. An excellent book, though quite a few years old now, is by Otis Rice for the Kentucky Historical Society.

Thanks for the information. I've only done a little reasearch on the feud, in fact when I wrote that post I was not sure if Perry cline was even a real person because I hadn't seen his name anywhere.

This series has been top notch so far. Make sure you DVR it and fast forward through the commercials because there are a lot of them.

I find it interesting, especially during the first night, how long it was until there was a commercial. Then it seemed like there was one every five minutes.