Class 2A Playoffs: #4 Beechwood vs. #10 Newport Predictions/Updates

Bac2369

Who wins this matchup?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this matchup?

Who wins this district championship matchup? Beechwood is another team that has dominated its district this season. Beechwood has only allowed 6 points in those games. Newport got some revenge defeating Lloyd Memorial last week 28-16. Do they have what it takes again to get some revenge? Or Does the dominance continue?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said the same thing last time these 2 met. Newport has the play makers to hang with Beechwood but can they avoid the mistakes? Beechwood is very fundamental and if Newport does match them fundamentally then I expect another big win by Beechwood.

Newport lost three fumbles the last time they played, but only had 127 total offense. I expect BW defense to keep them out of the end zone when it matters. I think the Newport coach has done an excellent job since he took over under some tough circumstances, but BW will be too much. BW 42-7.

Beechwood 49

Newport 0

Wow. 49 points? What makes you think Beechwood will score 49 in this game?

Beechwood hasn't scored more than 38 against any team other than Holy Cross. Newport has only allowed more than 26 twice this season with 38 points being the most allowed in a game by Newport all year.

Wow. 49 points? What makes you think Beechwood will score 49 in this game?

Beechwood hasn't scored more than 38 against any team other than Holy Cross. Newport has only allowed more than 26 twice this season with 38 points being the most allowed in a game by Newport all year.

Well, start with the previous matchup which was much worse of a show of dominance than the score showed. Newport had ZERO answer for Beechwood on either side of the ball.

Further, not sure if you noticed, but the first half of Beechwood's schedule this year was against five outstanding teams. Since then, they've outclassed every opponent - see Newport losing 38-0 for reference - except for a very good NCC team.

Newport is nowhere near the level of Paintsville, Somerset, Corbin, CovCath, Taft or even NCC. We have two games that show that - again, 38-0 vs. Beechwood and 37-6 vs. NCC.

So what exactly have you seen in Newport or Beechwood that makes you think the Tigers AREN'T capable of putting up only 11 more points against the Wildcats than they did last time?

Well, start with the previous matchup which was much worse of a show of dominance than the score showed. Newport had ZERO answer for Beechwood on either side of the ball.

Further, not sure if you noticed, but the first half of Beechwood's schedule this year was against five outstanding teams. Since then, they've outclassed every opponent - see Newport losing 38-0 for reference - except for a very good NCC team.

Newport is nowhere near the level of Paintsville, Somerset, Corbin, CovCath, Taft or even NCC. We have two games that show that - again, 38-0 vs. Beechwood and 37-6 vs. NCC.

So what exactly have you seen in Newport or Beechwood that makes you think the Tigers AREN'T capable of putting up only 11 more points against the Wildcats than they did last time?

All you say is true. I expect Beechwood to win. I was only questioning 49 points. What I said about lack of scoring is also true. Plus Newport had three turnovers which gave Beechwood short fields. I expect a score like 31-7.

Edited by Voice of Reason

This should be a good game, but I think Beechwood will win this one and continue to get stronger week over week. They got some kids back from injury, a big size boost on the D-line, and all the youngsters are experienced now. Key to me in this one will be BW pressuring the QB to disrupt, and holding coverage on the talented Newport skill position guys. In short, BW rolls again if D-line wins upfront. Good luck to both teams, should be fun game to watch.

Don’t underestimate Newport. They put together four solid quarters against Lloyd. If Newport can keep the ball moving and not make silly turnovers this game will be a lot closer then the first match up. Being realistic I can see a 30-14 Beechwood win.