Jenkins Done for the Season? Forever?

gchs_uk9

Hearing that Jenkins High School has dropped their football program. I saw that Pikeville had posted an opening for a game and some others have as well. They were 0-3 (with one forfeit) on the season and only have 13 players on the roster. Sad, but inevitable day.

Traveling down in that country via 23 it seems there are a lot of neighboring schools that should allow transfers from Jenkins. I know it will not help the seniors, but future kids with the desire to play football from the Jenkins community should be permitted to transfer to a school where football is accessible.

The Jenkins/Berea game is listed on the KHSAA as "status to be determined." I'd imagine this means the KHSAA doesn't want to charge Jenkins seven forfeiture fees. Berea has no remaining open dates, however, so they can't get a replacement game.

Phelps has already found a replacement game. They'll be playing Sayre on October 18. No site is listed but Sayre played Jenkins at Kentucky Christian University last year and that could be where this game is played.

As for the other schools, I know Pikeville is looking for a replacement game. The others could be searching as well but I've not seen anything on the Listserv. They might be content to get an extra week off to rest players and heal injuries.

• 1 year later...