Apollo 11: Celebrating 50 Years

TheDeuce

On July 16, 1969 at 9:32am EST, Apollo 11 launched what would end up being the first moon walk in our nation's history. What do you remember about those days?

I'm super jealous I wasn't alive when it happened, and I wish they would go again.

Watched a special on PBS' American Experience about this on Sunday. They're doing another Wednesday night in which they're going to use archival video with the actual radio transmissions between the Apollo crew and Houston control to try and demonstrate the moon landing in real time.

And for those interested, HBO did an update to their old "From the Earth to the Moon" series with all-new digital effects.

Following the space program as a kid from Mercury to Apollo was one of my good childhood memories. Watching the Saturn 5 rocket launch and eventual moon landing on a little black and white TV was really something special at the time and as a kid I felt proud. The only disappointment was that President Kennedy was not around to see it.

Following the space program as a kid from Mercury to Apollo was one of my good childhood memories. Watching the Saturn 5 rocket launch and eventual moon landing on a little black and white TV was really something special at the time and as a kid I felt proud. The only disappointment was that President Kennedy was not around to see it.

When the USSR put their Sputnik satellite into orbit somewhere around 1957-8, I think it was, it really got the USA moving in its space program.