Apollo 11: Celebrating 50 Years

TheDeuce

I remember watching Neal Armstrong take those first steps on the moon. Watched it with my grandmother on our first color TV...one of those huge console models.

I get chills every time I watch that footage.

I remember watching it with my dad and older siblings when I was 5 years old. Wasn't at the time completely understanding its significance as I didn't know or understand much about space travel history quite yet. I could tell from my dad that it was a big deal though.

I was 15 at the time of the landing. I followed as much as I could on our little black and white Zenith tv at our house. It was an exciting time to witness all of it unfold. I remember the day they landed and later when they walked on the moon. CBS’s Walter Cronkite got so caught up in the emotion that he couldn’t help showing it as he talked us through the historical event.

The entire ‘60s space program flights were exciting. I remember when John Glenn and Allan Shepherd took their first flights into space in the early 1960s. I was in first grade and we received a weekly magazine called “Weekly Reader” and it would have stories and pictures in it about the space program and astronauts geared to kids of our age. Our teacher would read every word to us and make us follow along.

I was 15 at the time of the landing. I followed as much as I could on our little black and white Zenith tv at our house. It was an exciting time to witness all of it unfold. I remember the day they landed and later when they walked on the moon. CBS’s Walter Cronkite got so caught up in the emotion that he couldn’t help showing it as he talked us through the historical event.

The entire ‘60s space program flights were exciting. I remember when John Glenn and Allan Shepherd took their first flights into space in the early 1960s. I was in first grade and we received a weekly magazine called “Weekly Reader” and it would have stories and pictures in it about the space program and astronauts geared to kids of our age. Our teacher would read every word to us and make us follow along.

The good old “Weekly Reader”...

I wasn't born yet when the landing happened and was really too young to remember any of the manned moon missions. It still seems weird to me that we had all those missions from 1969-1972 and haven't been back since.

Wife and I had been married for 1 year. Was making $100 per week and wife was driving 3 days a week to Morehead. Could not afford a television or telephone even so friends invited us to their apartment to watch it all on their giant (21") console TV. Still feel that stirring feeling of pride for what our space program was able to accomplish.

The entire space race/program of the 1960s was fascinating to follow. As I recall, there was an unmanned Russian moon initiative happening literally at the same time as Apollo 11.

Reminds me of the scene in Chernobyl when the Committee member tells the Scientist we will use our moon rover.

"I didn't know we went to the moon."

"We didn't, but we have one shelved in case we did." :lol2: