Altercation after the 3A State Championship Game involving Central and Corbin

theguru

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WKYT has some pretty complete video footage of the altercation, shown at the end of this story: Central holds off Corbin 20-19 in thriller to win Class 3A state title

Per the end of the story, the altercation began with a Central player taunting a Corbin player, then the Corbin player swung at the Central player. The video shows a Corbin standing over top of a Central player and swinging at him, then a Central player comes flying in from out of frame taking a swing at the Corbin player, then there is a rush of players at least one or two more Central players seen taking swings at Corbin players.

Corbin fighting Louisville Central, who could have seen that coming? I'm sure every Central player had seen "the video", and while one young man's comments don't speak for everyone, I also know from personal experience his "take" isn't necessarily an aberration at CHS.

As another poster alluded to in the thread, regardless of who instigated what in the ugly post-game scene, what we dont know is what was and wasn't said during the game.

Hate that such an important game would be marred so publicly with such an ugly scene in the (wholly unnecessary) handshake line.

Both schools, coaches, players and administrators should be embarrassed. I sure hope some fines are levied and suspensions issued. The big guy from Corbin and number 31 from Central.

I agree there should be some severe consequences for all the involved parties.

Corbin fighting Louisville Central, who could have seen that coming? I'm sure every Central player had seen "the video", and while one young man's comments don't speak for everyone, I also know from personal experience his "take" isn't necessarily an aberration at CHS.

As another poster alluded to in the thread, regardless of who instigated what in the ugly post-game scene, what we dont know is what was and wasn't said during the game.

Hate that such an important game would be marred so publicly with such an ugly scene in the (wholly unnecessary) handshake line.

I’ve never been a fan of the enforced hand shake line. This is why.

I have a lot of past history I can cite from experience with Corbin so I know how the history is. I don’t know what is said during the game. The kid from Central who is listed as the instigator of this melee played a great game. He led the game in tackles.

Still, just be excited to be Champ, isn’t that enough?

Again, there’s enough blame to go around especially with the response of the Corbin kid.

From what I have heard from a couple of players, nothing any different going on during the game that doesn't happen in most games. Said there were a couple of defensive players taking cheap shots, but said there are usually a couple on every team, except for Bell Co., who they say had several. They also said they had a lot of respect for the Central players and program

The one Corbin kid who would be most likely to be involved just happened to be the one that the other player taunted and would have reacted the same whether it would have been Whitley Co. or Central on the other sideline. He should have just allowed him to have his moment and ignored him, but made the wrong decision. Teenagers do stupid things at times though, and a few did.

I’ve never been a fan of the enforced hand shake line. This is why.

I have a lot of past history I can cite from experience with Corbin so I know how the history is. I don’t know what is said during the game. The kid from Central who is listed as the instigator of this melee played a great game. He led the game in tackles.

Still, just be excited to be Champ, isn’t that enough?

Again, there’s enough blame to go around especially with the response of the Corbin kid.

The handshake line is not forced. It is the choice of the schools to participate or not. Teams do it more out of habit/tradition than anything. In fact a few years ago I believe the KHSAA said no handshakes at the end of games and they were not responsible for anything that happened. I don’t remember exactly what happened but I believe it was an issue with when the officials relinquish their control of the game.

It’s a shame it happened. One thing coaches need to do it games like this is to remind him players there is no reason for them to be on the opponents sideline. Just don’t cross that line and it prevents a lot of this stuff from happening.

The handshake line is not forced. It is the choice of the schools to participate or not. Teams do it more out of habit/tradition than anything. In fact a few years ago I believe the KHSAA said no handshakes at the end of games and they were not responsible for anything that happened. I don’t remember exactly what happened but I believe it was an issue with when the officials relinquish their control of the game.

It’s a shame it happened. One thing coaches need to do it games like this is to remind him players there is no reason for them to be on the opponents sideline. Just don’t cross that line and it prevents a lot of this stuff from happening.

Not to get all official and stuff (but then again if we don't how are we going to stop this kind of thing) but if the KHSAA takes the position the game is over and the Refs relinquish control then there needs to be adequate security in the form of Police Officers and if a fight breaks out the players should be taken into custody and charged with criminal offenses.

And I know some of you are rolling your eyes at me right now but it is either that or we as a society are saying it is okay, go ahead and fight after a game.

What kind of world do you want to live in?

I’d venture to say there was more law enforcement at the state games then most. I think we typically have one maybe two. They aren’t down on the field at the end. This is also one of the reasons the officials get off the field ASAP when the game is over. As soon as that clock hits zero it is no longer a KHSAA problem.

I wish I could remember what happened that caused them to send out the email about handshakes.

I’d venture to say there was more law enforcement at the state games then most. I think we typically have one maybe two. They aren’t down on the field at the end. This is also one of the reasons the officials get off the field ASAP when the game is over. As soon as that clock hits zero it is no longer a KHSAA problem.

I wish I could remember what happened that caused them to send out the email about handshakes.

Right, the officials run out because the situation could be explosive, in this case it ended up being explosive, and boom here we are with kids "fighting" after a state championship game.

If any of us adults were fighting after the game we would end up in jail.

And we wonder why this stuff happens.