Inconsistency with NFL officiating

Troy Aikman was just complaining about the NFL not enforcing the rules on the book with the helmet to helmet hits on a no call in the Texans/Fins game.

Then, Brock Osweiler got hit and the Texans scored and the review centered on if it was an incomplete pass or fumble. They (Fox) brought Mike Pereira on the broadcast to ask him and although the didn't commit to a hard and fast decision he was definitely leaning to the play stands as called and therefore a TD and the NFL reserved the decision and called it an incomplete pass.

I will also add, at least early the game, the NFL white hat was doing some nodding which appeared to me to be him nodding as the NFL was talking to him in the headphones.

My point is NFL decision making/officiating is all over the place and even the so called experts don't appear to have a clue.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally don’t complain about officials, but this game has been a bad showing for the officials. The opening kickoff confusion, to the ridiculous illegal formation at the end of the half when Houston was just kneeling it out.

Maybe someone out there can answer these questions for me. I never played in high school so I’m not up with everything, but why is there a limit to how many players on offense you can have on or not on the line? Also, why can you not “cover” someone on the line on offense... such as when a trio of receivers lines up, usually the middle one has to be off the line?

Was a little stunned that the overruled that defensive TD but I didn't have the volume on. Buddy said that it can't be a fumble because the defensive player is what forced the ball to go backwards? That's dumb.

I don't know about dumb, but many of the NFL rules are very subjective. Was the ball catchable, did the defender's momentum cause the ball to go backwards, etc. I think by removing some of the subjectivity, and making things more cut and dry...ie either it is, or it isn't, officiating could become more consistent. Things happen so quickly on the field, often times the ref has to consider several things at once in a split second to make a call.

Maybe someone out there can answer these questions for me. I never played in high school so I’m not up with everything, but why is there a limit to how many players on offense you can have on or not on the line? Also, why can you not “cover” someone on the line on offense... such as when a trio of receivers lines up, usually the middle one has to be off the line?

The rule prevents offenses from "hiding" receivers in between ineligible players. It also makes it easier for officials to determine who is and isnt' eligible. In the "trips" situation you mention, it doesn't have to be middle receiver that's not on the line...it could be any of the three. You could even have a trips alignment where none of the 3 receivers are on the line--an empty backfield, one WR split to one side on the line, a TE on the opposite side along with 3 receivers in the off the line of scrimmage.

They made a call on Landon Collins earlier this year that may have cost the Giants a win.

It was one of the worst calls I've ever seen and the NFL admitted it was wrong.

In this video, #21 was called for roughing (helmet to helmet). He was playing the ball and even deflected the ball prior to contact. He was not trying to hit anyone, actually... the WR hits him.

Check out @iMARKINGHAM’s Tweet: Twitter

There are no limits to how many players can be on the line; however, only a maximum of four may be off the line. Only the last person on the line of scrimmage (both sides of the ball) can be eligible receivers.

In the scenario you describe, all three players in the trips formation could be off the line of scrimmage. That would mean the TE or Tackle on that side of the ball would be eligible as the last person on the LOS. Only one other player (presumably QB) is the only other player off the LOS.

The max amount of players eligible to catch a forward pass is five players.

There are no limits to how many players can be on the line; however, only a maximum of four may be off the line. Only the last person on the line of scrimmage (both sides of the ball) can be eligible receivers.

In the scenario you describe, all three players in the trips formation could be off the line of scrimmage. That would mean the TE or Tackle on that side of the ball would be eligible as the last person on the LOS. Only one other player (presumably QB) is the only other player off the LOS.

The max amount of players eligible to catch a forward pass is five players.

You really only see more than 7 on the LOS in kicking/punting situations, since only the end players on each side are eligible

They made a call on Landon Collins earlier this year that may have cost the Giants a win.

It was one of the worst calls I've ever seen and the NFL admitted it was wrong.

In this video, #21 was called for roughing (helmet to helmet). He was playing the ball and even deflected the ball prior to contact. He was not trying to hit anyone, actually... the WR hits him.

Check out @iMARKINGHAM’s Tweet: Twitter

Did the ref mean to call it on 31 instead of 21? Because even though that would have been a bad call too. The hit by 31 was to the head at least a little. Collins was diving to make a pick. That was a horrible call.

I saw where an NFL official was fired in-season for the first time this past week.

Hugo Cruz was the ref that was fired. Cruz missed a false start on the Chargers against the Browns on a play in which Rivers threw a TD pass. He wasn't fired for that call but for his overall performance. I read some where that this was the first official fired mid-season for poor performance since the 70's or 80's.

Hugo Cruz, official who missed false start vs. Browns, fired for overall performance | cleveland.com