Dontaie Allen Commits to Kentucky

Jumper_Dad

An excerpt from Ben Roberts' story on Kentucky.com:

The original plan was for Allen to take more recruiting visits this fall, but his father, Tony Thomas, said he gave UK an “instant” commitment when Calipari informed him of the scholarship offer Wednesday night. Allen clearly knew where he wanted to go.

“Kentucky has always been in his heart,” Thomas told the Herald-Leader on Thursday. “We were going to keep the options open and just see where we landed at, but by going on the visit and sitting down and having a conversation with Coach Cal, it just felt right.”

Louisville, Xavier, Vanderbilt and West Virginia were all considered to be top contenders before the UK offer, and he also had recent scholarship offers from Florida, Auburn, Western Kentucky and several other programs.

Kentucky basketball star Dontaie Allen commits to UK | Lexington Herald Leader

My heart has skipped a couple beats hearing this news. My eyes have known for sometime this young man can flatout play. His smoothness has made some question his athleticism. I don't know what that word means. Does it mean speed? All I can say he gets separation anytime he wants...wheter on the break or in the halfcourt. Does it mean verticality? Finishes above the rim too many times for me to count. Some compare him to Darius Miller, but knock his size. Not sure how cut Darius was at 17. Dontae can play and possibly will be there for four years. Congrats!!!!

High skill level, especially as a shooter. Plays hard, but doesn't have high end athleticism. Think he will have a tough time if switched on to a guard on the perimeter, but with some added strength and lateral quickness could be serviceable. Biggest concern is he doesn't really have the ability to put it on the floor and go by the type of wings he will face at the highest level. That could make him more one dimensional on the offensive end...

My heart has skipped a couple beats hearing this news. My eyes have known for sometime this young man can flatout play. His smoothness has made some question his athleticism. I don't know what that word means. Does it mean speed? All I can say he gets separation anytime he wants...wheter on the break or in the halfcourt. Does it mean verticality? Finishes above the rim too many times for me to count. Some compare him to Darius Miller, but knock his size. Not sure how cut Darius was at 17. Dontae can play and possibly will be there for four years. Congrats!!!!

That was the rap on Darius. He was often accused of "not trying hard", when the fact was that he was smoother than pretty much anyone he stepped on the floor with during his senior year (not to mention the deadly euro-step that was often called a walk). Things turned out just fine for Darius.

Congrats to Dontaie!!