How is the Cat in the Hat racist?

jericho

She used this as an example. But I saw Michelle Obama read this to classes many times on TV.

“Another fact that many people are unaware of is that Dr. Seuss’s illustrations are steeped in racist propaganda, caricatures, and harmful stereotypes,” Soeiro wrote, giving examples of "If I Ran a Zoo" and "And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street" as clear “racist mockery” in Seuss’ art.

Another person who is trying to make a simple gesture political. If she didn't like the books, send them to a library that needs them and move on. No need to criticize the First Lady or Dr. Seuss for that matter! Leave your personal feelings about this Administration out of your job, snooty librarian.

1) This lady might be too woke for her own good and needed to handle the whole thing with a little more common sense.

2) She's not wrong that it's preposterous to send books to a rich school in Cambridge rather than needy schools all over the country.

3) Here's a decent article that lays out the entire thing.

Librarian rejects Melania Trump's gift of Dr. Seuss books - The Washington Post

4) Despite academic writings to the contrary, I love Cat in the Hat along with countless other Seuss books and will hopefully someday be reading them to my children.

If this happened at my child's school you better believe id be there demanding a meeting with the librarian and principle. Don't invoke your personal hatred (political or personal) for our president into an agenda that hurts the kids. I read all these books, or had them read to me when I was in elementary school, I believe Im a fine upstanding productive citizen. I was given "Oh, The Places You'll Go" as a gift for high school graduation. Total crap on this one.

• 2 weeks later...