Open Job: Beechwood

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baseball coach out. Girls head basketball coach out. Band director out. HS Principal leaves abruptly. I am hearing stories of parents pulling their kids out of BW because of the administration at all grade levels. Good staff members have left. Is this all a coincidence or an epidemic? I am all for change, but at what cost?

Beechwood is a great place but in my experience Beechwood is moody.

Or put another way, they love you today and hate you tomorrow.

Well put. Since the Supt. and the Principals are relatively new, I am wondering if the Board and the Site Based Councils look to hire "moody" people. To your reference, it could be a cultural thing.

Well put. Since the Supt. and the Principals are relatively new, I am wondering if the Board and the Site Based Councils look to hire "moody" people. To your reference, it could be a cultural thing.

It is something at Beechwood.

For the record everyone, I went to Beechwood, I love Beechwood, but something is strange there.

Baseball coach out. Girls head basketball coach out. Band director out. HS Principal leaves abruptly. I am hearing stories of parents pulling their kids out of BW because of the administration at all grade levels. Good staff members have left. Is this all a coincidence or an epidemic? I am all for change, but at what cost?

I guess in a way I'm glad to hear it's not just an issue with the sports programs. Their AD is a committed "Beechwood guy" as I understand it. Good to know it's not a problem with him.

Can only speak to "the Band Director out". After numerous Class A State Championships (4 of last 5 years, I think?), he was offered one of the top 6A positions in Ky at Ryle High School that has been close to the top, but unable to dethrone Lafayette and a few other major programs. They came after him to get them there. Great opportunity and no knock on Beechwood that has been a longtime launching pad for outstanding young directors.

Can only speak to "the Band Director out". After numerous Class A State Championships (4 of last 5 years, I think?), he was offered one of the top 6A positions in Ky at Ryle High School that has been close to the top, but unable to dethrone Lafayette and a few other major programs. They came after him to get them there. Great opportunity and no knock on Beechwood that has been a longtime launching pad for outstanding young directors.

That is a situation that happens and you wish them nothing but success in their new venture. He and his asst. will do great things at Ryle. However, I find it hard to believe that this is the case with the other departures. I thought BW jobs were coveted for the same reason parents go to great lengths to get heir kids enrolled there. Maybe not so much. I find it interesting that the baseball coaching vacancies include freshmen and JV as well, per BW's website. Was this a wholesale housecleaning or a mass exodus in support of Coach Mullins?

People change jobs for myriad reasons. As mentioned above, sometimes its simply because an offer was too good to refuse and thats not a dig on the existing system. BB seems to be working awfully hard, in this and other posts, to fluff this into much more than it likely is. Starting to sound like he's got a personal agenda

Beechwood is a tough environment for any staff as the parents expect a lot, as is the case with several other local districts. That is exactly why people want to get into the system. As for the baseball staff, I believe the JV & frosh coaches are selected by the varsity coach. So, not unusual for this type of transition. I agree that turnover sucks but, I think its unfair to start the rumor mill like BB seems to want to do.

Whomever takes over that program is certainly inheriting three upcoming years loaded with talent.