Colerain (OH) 42 Trinity 28

mcpapa

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colerain was the better team tonight. Their speed was amazing. Trinity had a chance to take a big momentum swing in the third when we had Colerain 3rd and 16 at their own 5 when the score was 21-14 and he broke at least 4 tackles and raxed 95 yards for the TD. Definitely the best implementation of the triple option I have seen.

Just back from the game. Whew!

Colerain is an EXCELLENT team, I thought. Just when you thought we'd have them beat on a play, they made the stop. Their team is fast and never lost the play. I thought their offensive line was excellent, always staying with their blocks.

Our inexperience was apparent, but despite the score, I never felt we couldn't overcome the score until mid-4th quarter. Still think we'll be in Bowling Green in December.

Side note.....love the Colerain band...they played all the right songs. :lol: My instincts were sorely tested as the Cards students chanted C A R D S! :D

GO ROCKS!

Edited by rockmom

Colerain is the real deal. They will run the table from here until the playoffs. Beating Trinity by two touchdowns in Louisville is a very impressive encore to the beatdown they put on Cincinnati St. X last weekend. It's too bad more of the GCL teams in Cincinnati won't play them.

Well played Colerain. 495 yards on offense is impressive. Colerain is better than ANY team in Kentucky. Bonnafon missed classes and practice earlier this past week while recovering from an illness and was not in the starting lineup for two series. This never happened with Riddle, Brohm, Petrino, Smyth, Stein or Wright at QB. I suppose Trinity has been fortunate to have their #1 QB healthy since Coach Beatty arrived in 2000.

Edited by thsrocks

Back home in NKY! Wow, what a game. Will post more tomorrow once I've had a chance to get some sleep. A few tidbits.

Marshall Stadium - What an absolutely beautiful facility! I mean, top-notch all the way around. The home pressbox has a bathroom built-in?! NICE!!!

Trinity Crowd - they did their best to get in the game but it was difficult when their team was down 14-0 before some of them were even in their seats.

Train - love it! Just love it!

Bonnafon - glad he will not be on the team next year when Trinity travels to Colerain. Kid can seriously play.

Cook - 3rd varsity game, 266 yards rushing, 589 yards on the year...WOW!

More tomorrow. Got to get to bed.

-CardinalsFan

Colerain was the better team tonight. Their speed was amazing. Trinity had a chance to take a big momentum swing in the third when we had Colerain 3rd and 16 at their own 5 when the score was 21-14 and he broke at least 4 tackles and raxed 95 yards for the TD. Definitely the best implementation of the triple option I have seen.

Yes, that was definitely the turning point of the game. C's QB was the difference---not only on that run but the way he ran their offense the whole night. He made very good decisions as to when to hand the ball off or keep it and had moves like you wouldn't believe. He carried the ball a lot but was quick enough to avoid any hard shots for the most part. C's bowling-ball backs ran hard as T continues to have trouble tackling. I think C's run offense is as good as I've seen in a long time. It seemed to me that T eventually had some success in slowing down the option by blitzing a linebacker to the mesh point but C must have countered this in some way because it didn't seem to be a problem after a while. C had more in the tank than T late in the game as I think (it pains me to say it) T hung their heads a little after their last real chance to tie the game was foiled by C. I don't think a real leader has stepped up yet on T's defense possibly because they are young. But C would give any defense fits.