1. Highlands at Western

2. Covington Catholic vs. 6A Boone County

3. Lexington Catholic at 6A #3 Male

4. Boyle County vs. 5A #2 John Hardin

5. Ashland vs. 3A Russell

6. Lone Oak at 5A #8 Christian County

7. Knox Central vs. Gatlinburg-Pittman (TN)

8. Collins at 6A #6 Eastern

9. Johnson Central -- OPEN

10. Russell County vs. 5A Pulaski County

I still think LexCath should be higher than CovCath. Especially after last weekend. That was CovCath's chance to validate themselves and they failed.

Boyle County is too high for now. They need to earn and prove they belong in the big 4. Yeah, I said it. At best I'd have them between 5-8.

I'd have Russell County before Collins and Johnson Central. Russell County and Knox Central somewhere between 6-8 work for me regardless of who is 6, 7 or 8. I think that is the right place for them.

I think it is a two-horse race between LexCath and Highlands. We'll see though. That's why they play the games.

Highlands struggled in the first half against Boyle. It happens to the best sometimes.

First game of the year....:thumb: Like a lot of people have said when you utilize a 2 platoon system it takes a while to get going. Birds typically get better as the new platoon players get more comfortable..

First game of the year....:thumb: Like a lot of people have said when you utilize a 2 platoon system it takes a while to get going. Birds typically get better as the new platoon players get more comfortable..

I hear you. I just think LexCath will keep getting better evey game as well. If this game happens it is the 4A state title, IMO.

IMO, this is as weak a pool of 4a teams as I've seen since the realignment. Lone Oaks an okay team, but, thats about it, and they're Top 6? Boyle is down this year and still ranked #4, Collins at #8 is a team that lost big to a down Boyle team. Lex Cath probably is a top 3 team, but, they got beat by 50 by a really good Ensworth team that called off the dogs or it could have been 70. Hate to think one of our top 3 4a teams can't play withing 50 of someone.. Cov Cath lays an egg to a middle of the road to lower middle of the road GCL team and they're #2.. I'm sorry, but, 4a is very weak this year.. I agree with above poster, it's Highlands to lose and if they don't, it'll be an epic upset..

Couldn't disagree more. You're basing LexCath's game against Ensworth as proof of how good they are? :lol:

Highlands lost by 51 to Trinity in the first half. Comparing the best teams in Ky to nationally ranked teams is an unfair template.

After LexCath beats Male this Friday I think you'll see that the 4A is probably the best classification. And if Boyle beats John Hardin also......

Then what?

^ The one caveat to the comments about Cov Cath, their defense is probably the best defense in 4A. Look at how Lasalle scored their points versus Cov Cath. Lasalle had 215 yards of offense and was 1/8 on 3rd down versus the Colonels. When you have the kind of defense CCH has, you should be able to hang with anyone.

Couldn't disagree more. You're basing LexCath's game against Ensworth as proof of how good they are? :lol:

Highlands lost by 51 to Trinity in the first half. Comparing the best teams in Ky to nationally ranked teams is an unfair template.

After LexCath beats Male this Friday I think you'll see that the 4A is probably the best classification. And if Boyle beats John Hardin also......

Then what?

If those 2 things happen, then, we'll talk.. I'm taking JHardin over Boyle in a big way and I'll take Male to handle Lex Catholic.. If it's any consolation, I think 6a, outside of Trinity is as weak as it's been in a longtime, too. I think 1a, 2a, 3a and 5a may be a little deeper than in past years, but, I think 4a and 6a are down some..

I think 4a and 6a are down some..

Last (year 2011) Highlands ran away with 4A and no one was close. This year IMO Highlands is still the favorite but Covington Catholic, Lexington Catholic and Boyle (proved for a half) that they will compete. IMO this is the most balanced 4A has been since the new 6 class system went into effect.