BGP QOTD: When you shuffle off this mortal coil...

Colonels_Wear_Blue

How do you want things handled after you kick the bucket?

My wife and I have been working on getting all of our end of life directives (living will, DNR/DNI orders, power of attorney, will) and it's got that fun stuff on the mind.

What's your plan...give your body to science? Buried in a cemetery? Cremated and left in an urn? Cremated and ashes scattered? Cremated and have your ashes buried somewhere? Mausoleum? Natural/green burial?

My family is to cremate me and do whatever they want with my ashes. Spend as little as possible for my final arrangements. We do have a will, but I should probably do an update, as our current will is almost 20 years old, and was done with the idea if we were to die while my children were still young. They are all now adults (the oldest is 25, the youngest is 20), and we are in significantly better shape financially. Not to mention that I'll be 50 in a few weeks, and even though I'm currently healthly, may only have 20-30 years left at most.

If you're going to be cremated please leave instructions as to how you want your ashes disposed of. I've seen more than once where surviving family members get into an unnecessary squabble over this, often between the decedent's new spouse and children from a previous marriage. And sometimes, without direction, it is a difficult decision to be made anyway.

This brings to mind a conversation I recently had with a lady who had just moved back to town after living in Los Angeles for 20+ years. She said she had a boyfriend back in LA who was part owner of a business, whose slogan was "If you want a smokin' hot body, come see us." Of course, the business was a crematorium.

I've always said that I wanted a Viking type ceremony. Basically my body on a raft, lit of fire and pushed down a river. I'd love it if there were some bag pipes playing.

In reality, whatever is the cheapest (or cost effective) for my family. I don't really have a care at all. However, reading @tcjkbt's post, maybe I'll have a little say to avoid any potential squabbles.

Cremated and my ashes left on Getslow's desk.

Snowsuit goes to The Smithsonian.

I'll keep the receptacle in a place of honor fitting for my victory in outliving you.

Then when I go, we're both getting launched out of a cannon like Hunter Thompson.