Seneca Grad DeMarcus Smith Asks to be Released by UCF

All Tell

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I spoke to DaMarcus in person in my office in the last couple of weeks and DaMarcus is fine," O'Leary said March 17. "There's a lot of other things going on that people just won't leave him alone. He has a big smile when he's here. He left my office saying he was 100 percent with UCF. And a lot of the stuff that was transpiring up there -- all the information was coming out Louisville, not Orlando. The kid made a decision that was a tough decision. As I told him to stand up at a Friday signing thing in front of all the people that just gave you the key to the city and to say that you're going to spend the next four years of your career at UCF, it says a lot about the kid and the character of the kid. ... He came down to see me about the whole thing. We had a good talk."

From the Orlando Sentinel.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-damarcus-smith-ucf-louisville-20110328,0,2860746.story

Discuss...

I get the impression that this kid wants to go someplace where he'll be anointed the number 1 QB with no real competition.

I agree!

By the way...I wonder how DeMarcus is feeling about his "business decision" now??

Point 1. There are consequences to our actions. Smith is learning that. It's hard to feel to much sympathy for him.

Point 2. What a crock of self righteousness coming from a coach that falsified his resume at one point. And how many D1 coaches break their contracts, you know legal documents they sign.

Point 1. There are consequences to our actions. Smith is learning that. It's hard to feel to much sympathy for him.

Point 2. What a crock of self righteousness coming from a coach that falsified his resume at one point. And how many D1 coaches break their contracts, you know legal documents they sign.

I agree. As a UL fan I wanted him at UL. I will welcome him if he leaves UCF. But he signed the LOI so now he must pay the price that comes a long with that.

As for Oleary he is just doing what he thinks is best for his program. Although if I was the coach I wouldn't want any kid that didnt want to be there.

This may be a dumb question but I don't know the answer.....what happens if he isn't released? Can he not show up and sit out a year? Does he have to sit out a year regardless? How does this work and what kind of options does Smith have if he doesn't go to UCF?

Why would any coach anywhere keep a kid on the team who doesn't want to be on the team? I don't understand that.

This may be a dumb question but I don't know the answer.....what happens if he isn't released? Can he not show up and sit out a year? Does he have to sit out a year regardless? How does this work and what kind of options does Smith have if he doesn't go to UCF?

Why would any coach anywhere keep a kid on the team who doesn't want to be on the team? I don't understand that.

I understand not releasing him to set a precedent and I am ok with that. He is more than welcome to enroll at Louisville, pay his way for one year, then be on scholly next year. It's up to him, how much does he want out, how much does he want to be here.

They can't force him to enroll in school although if he takes his scholarship they can force him to participate. If UCF doesn't release him then he can't get a scholly from any other LOI participating school for a year and he is also ineligible to play or practice (I believe) at any other school. He can still enroll and pay his own way at any school he wants to.

I would have no problem at all with O'Leary's actions if he wasn't basically a person who got caught in a lie in the past. His whole attitude is very hypocritical and there's no way you convince me tha if one of the "big boys" comes knocking it won't matter to him if he has 1 or 100 years left on his contract, you know that legal document that he signed.