Kentucky and Louisville: The previous 364 days

Fletch

What happens next year when they are 3-9 again?

Brooks isn't capable of building the program to a level that can win the SEC East, therefore I think this extension is a poor overeaction to a little positivity.

C'mon UK fans don't do this to yourselves yet again.

When Jerry Claiborn was hired he was going to bring Kentucky back to national prominence.

When Bill Curry was hired he was going to mirror the success he had at GaTech and Bama.

After Hal Mumme won some games with smoke and mirrors UK re-named a street after him only to wath that "program" crash and burn.

In Guy Morriss you had a coach in place who won with what was there and yet your AD let him get away.

In Rich Brooks you have an overall loser who was living in retirement from coaching because no one wanted him. He dumbed down the schedule to get bowl eligible and beat an uninspired team in a death spiral in that bowl game.

Accept that the curse of the Bear is still in full effect and that one of the things it does is give you a decent (I won't say good based on the quality of wins that UK had) season every once in a while only to watch you have your hopes shattered.

I can't believe how many people think that they are going to beat Louisville now. Louisville is flat dominating this series, and their offense should be sick again next year, add that to an improved defense...come on folks.

Woodson's numbers came against a schedule that was bought and paid for to get him gaudy numbers, nothing more , nothing less. Brian Brohm has never lost a head to head game against Andre Woodson and there is no reason to believe that trend will change in the near future.

I bet the Cardinals remember their last trip to Commonwealth, and now they are coming in with a much better, more confidant and experienced Kentucky Football Team.

Just trying to give credit where I believe credit is due,

Yoter

I'll go ahead and say it...winning 9 regular season games? NO WAY, NO HOW...

LSU will likely be better, as will Florida, and UT.

Looks like another year of not beating a top 25 team.

The UL game, as many have mentioned, should be a little more balanced than years past.

Louisville - UK definitely will be an underdog, but I think they have a reasonable chance to pull an upset here. The homefield will be an advantage for UK, along with the fact that they will be a much more confident team going into this game than in the past.

I see 6 wins at the very most..

Kentucky will be fine and I think next year is the one where they beat Louisville, Florida or Tennessee. All 3 games are in Lexington.

I agree, he predicted a UK win over UofL this season against all odds. He is is a deep blue cool aid drinker.

I was just one year early on that prediction!

your track record isn't all that respectable with this program.

I can see them taking out Arkansas, maybe even UT, or UGA....I do not feel they can beat Louisville. While some think that Louisville will struggle in their first two games, UK will not have faced THIS offense before. That can pose some issues for a new DC, etc...

UK will be slightly/moderately above the NATIONAL average.

UK will WAAAAY above UK's average!

UL, really should only have one hiccup, and that's WVU, in Morgantown. They might struggle with that, but thankfully the defensive system should maintain the same system, etc....as this past season.

^ The defense looks good for next year, I think it will be the best to lineup in the Pizza Box.

It should be an exciting season next year IMO. It is also the year they get the Louisville, Florida, LSU and Tenn of the world at home which helps their chances against those kind of schools IMO.

I don't think Louisville will win the game in the first 10 minutes like they did last year and there are some solid arguments on why it will at least be an athletic contest, but at this point hope is all you really have to point to to say Kentucky will beat actually beat Louisville.

UK will be competitive, will be in the game throughout, and will have a chance to win if they don't turn the ball over.

Louisville returns too much on offense. I really can't get a view of it any other way. I think Kentucky will score a bit themselves (the JUCOs may not be quite meshed in scheme-wise until BE play starts) but I think Louisville will stop UK more than the other way around.

I'm not discounting the fact that things change. But you're discounting the fact that not everything does. At this point, the matchups favor Louisville, by a good margin. Louisville will have, across the board, the advangtage when their offense lines up against Kentucky's defense. I think that Kentucky will have an advantage against Louisville's pass defense but be at a disadvantage to Louisville's rush defense. This, to me, will translate into an inability to sustain drives, much as they could not this past September. UK will have downfield scoring, but I don't think they're the machine Louisville is on offense. And I know I'd rather have Louisville's defense than UK's.

70K strong, and in a bad mood since the ticket prices increased.

^ they won't all be Cat fans...but it will at least be fun to hear how quiet they can be.

I find it hilarious how the UL fans make that game seem unwinnable for the 'Cats.

Same here. Just remember, it's just a bunch of noise. Nothing more, nothing less...

I think there is several reasons to believe UK will be in a much better position.

1) Its a home game

2) We basically return our entire offense and should have an upgrade on the O-line.

3) UL has lost more defensively than UK. UK had a very young defense last year and is bound to get better.

I think UK has a real shot of winning next season.

1)Home game...could be an issue

2)The OL struggled mightily at times last season, I still think that UK will not be able to establish the run whatsoever

3)I firmly feel that Louisville's defense will be exponentially better next season than this one. As far as UK's defense, they will have to get ready for a completely different scheme and they will not have seen CLOSE to UL's weapons in the first two games.

^ All of those weapons were there last year, and this year's defense will be better.

I think a concern should be that Woodson won't be getting hit until the EKU game......that will make him a tad bit gun shy early in the year.

Laugh...but the excitement is different...and Louisville has left "big brother" far behind.

For all of you UoL fans.

What is there to gain by ripping on UK? If the Cards beat them down again, they did what was expected. If UK plays them close or wins, it will be Black Saturday for you guys.

ALSO, I doubt UoL will put 63,000 in the stands more than 2 times a season. WV, and UK every other year will probably pack the expanded stadium.

Offended? Talk about getting it twisted.

1. It's a bad move.

2. It's a coward move.

3, It's flat out saying we don't want UL "any time, any place"

4. Are you really OK with UK saying we want to bury a game between our in state rival over NATIONAL exposure?

I could care less about the venom from either side.

I'm ALWAYS out of town or working in town when they played this game on Labor Day Sunday.

With the game on NATIONAL TV it was never a problem to tune in.

The actions of the UK athletic department want to down play the UL game. Why? Because as you stated they don't want to be embarrassed on the big stage.

How can you not see the reason for moving the game is weak? UL is too good? I get it...

Other than the fact that UK doesn't get ran on National TV, somebody please explain to me how moving the game back is beneficial to UK?

The thought process at play behind moving this game back is why UK will always be a dead fish when it comes to football. Clearly the UK fans and the athletic department are OK with being a perrenial bottom-feeder.

What's completely silly is to think that UK stands a better chance of winning later in the season. That is operating under the false assumption that UK will improve, but UofL will not.

So there's no logic to it at all, then. If there is, at best it's an expectation that U of L will be near perfect at the start of the season anyway, and so even if both teams improve as much as they can, UK would make up ground. Otherwise, it's just rolling the dice, same as it would be to play it in the first game.

There is no competitve advantage that I see to playing the game later.

If the logic is to let UK get a few games under the belt, that really blew up in Mitch Barnhart's face, considering U of L has a new coach and therefore much more to gain from a competitive stand point to getting a few extra reps down before the game.

At least after Da Ville lays da smack down on the Kitty Cats we won't have to hear all this ranked garbage any longer.

Here's the flaw in that line of thinking. How was the game last time it was at UK? Close? They don't get to move the game that's at UL, and that's when it get ugly, right? In week 1 with a ton returning and playing at home on national TV against the Cards in the first game under the new coach, UK had a very good chance of pulling the shocking upset and being huge national news. Now with little to no national attention on the game it means less to the entire state. That's not good IMO. They made a bold decision and now it looks like a very bad one. That's all I'm saying...

And this is why the UK football program will never maintain even average status...

I think this thread is much ado about nothing at this point.

The tape delay garbage has been spread through the talking heads in Louisville via some radio stations.

This game will be live somewhere.

In my opinion, on ESPN or ESPN2.

Lest we forget, this year it is an SEC game (network wise) so the determination of what game they will choose to broadcast will not be made for quite a while. It can run as close to 5 days before the date to be played but usually over a week in advance.

In addition, we usually don't hear of the game time and station until at least June.

If you look at the overall schedule, the UK/UL game will be no worse than the 3rd best game that day, in the SEC. So there is a really good chance of live TV and a good chance ESPN will pick it up.

Other SEC games that day: Tennessee at Florida, and Arkansas v. Alabama (will not be the SEC debut for Saban, they play Vandy the week before).

If any of you honestly believe this game won't be on live TV I have some swampland in Florida I would like to sell you. Louisville will be a Top 10 team at that point playing an in-state SEC rival and both will be likely be undefeated by that point. It is even possible UK could be ranked 25 or 24 depending on how the chips fall elsewhere in the country. It's safe to say the game will be picked up by one of the 43 ESPN networks, FoxSports, CBS, CSTV, or any of the other 436 ways college football can be shown on a given weekend.

I see a lot of accusations made on here about UK but have yet to see a link where UK asked the game to be taken off live TV. Please provide a link or someone contact the Sports Information Office to clarify if the University of Kentucky asked the game to be taken off the slate.

If someone can confirm, with evidence this was the case than it was a stupid move that I cannot imagine even someone as old as Rich Brooks would make. It doesn't matter who you are playing you want your logo and your program on National TV. Even if you lose by 3 or 4 touchdowns the opening of that game and the atmosphere is going to stick in the minds of those watching the game. And, if by some chance, you win then thats just icing on the cake.

UoL dominated UK last season. I'm not sure that gaurantees a repeat performance this season.

I think Louisville fans need to be a humble in victory. Just imagine if UK wins. Just imagine.

To be honest...here's my actual take. I do think it kind of stinks for UK to want to move the game back...but when it is at their house, it is their choice. I also feel they think they need the extra time to get ready for the Cards. However, deep inside, I am quite sure that Mitch and Rich, would rather play the Cards Game 1 instead of 3 THIS season. They should be more game ready early this year, than the Cards.

Brooks IMVHO a lifetime loser with a losers mentality.

UK moved the game so it wouldn't be on TV. That's courage for you.

Maybe Grandpa should beat Louisville once before he starts his superiority complex.

Among the teams that Louisville has beaten on weeknights

Miami

Florida State

West Virginia

What do they all have in common? They would beat UK soundly, whenever they played.

Louisville has overtaken and paseed UK in the football world thanks to the exposure they have gotten in those games. Maybe before acting all superior about your team you should have some success against someone beside Directional U.

Brooks is right...TV exposure for UK in regards to the U of L game does nothing to help them...how can getting pasted year after year by your in-state "rival" on national television, with basically nothing competing against it as far as football goes, be good for your program...?

I'll give you the short answer...it can't help.

And if you can't get ready with an entire off season of prep time then an extra 2 weeks isn't going to make a whole lot of difference.

I agree it should be much closer. I wouldn't be surprised or shocked if Kentucky beat Louisville this season. It will come down to who can stop who.

UK will have to score 35+ to beat UofL IMO. Im not saying they won't, I just think they'll need that many (at least) to win.

The fun has begun...

UK did positive things last season. Beating Georgia and Clemson showed that Grandpa Brooks isn't completely worthless.

Louisville- Unless the Cats can score 50 or pull down 4+ turnovers, they can't win this game, I expect a blowout with Louisville's defense earning respect they are often denied 2-1

"You can't argue with the results we have had", This type of arrogance for a coach who is 17-30 says so much.

I believe that UK has the offensive skills players to stick with UofL... but it's not 7-on-7.

I don't think it will be quite the barrage that opened the game last year. UK is going to score early. It'll be later in the game that Louisville pulls away with their depth.

It was either agree to the deal or watch the game stopped all together (which is what I truly believe that Barnhart and Brooks wanted). How stupid does it sound to say we need the time to get ready? The entire off season isn't enough time? Three more weeks with two games against weak compitition? And this year Louisville will have a new coach, it's the perfect time to catch them in game 1, and Brooks and Barnhart took themselves out of that.

I don't think so. Most rational UK fans were fine with the move because they know it isn't going to have much affect at all on the outcome and if the UK Powers want to move it, so be it.

Being on TV was not nearly as big concern as it has been spun. Most non ticket holders held a high hope that it would be picked up, and in the end, it was.

Being the only game in the time slot (and thus a bigger audience) was the only real concern, but that was not nearly as big a deal as some have tried to imply.

And the small negative of that, to be honest, was outweighed in the minds of many UK fans by the bonus of it being such a thorn in the side for so many whining UL fans. I know for a fact that it has been a source of laughter for a LOT of UK fans that UL fans have been so torn up over such a non issue.

I don't like to take sides in these UK/UL issues for the most part because even though I am deeply Blue, I hold no disdain for the Cards and other than one game a year, like to see them win. But I gotta say that for a program who has been far superior in every sense of the word, the team with the mostest in this series, the UL fans letting something as trivial as two weeks and a time slot work you guys into such a tizzie is not very becomming from the outside looking in.

If the Cards fans are as comfortably seated in the catbird seat as they claim to be, it would seem they would just make like a duck over this issue and go out and TCB. Instead we keep hearing that same old noise from out of the west. And from here, it is comical.

*crickets*

:lol: :lol:

UK made noise in the SEC last season and played better and better as the year went on. I hope UofL's players are as overconfident as their fans.

Pretty bold I think. I don't think UK can score 38 on Louisville, unless the game goes into overtime.

Last season you only scored 38 on one BCS school and that was Vandy. Not even WVU scored 38 on Louisville last season, and after watching the defense during the scrimmage I think this will be the best UofL defense ever.

^ Not all that much at all...UK started out very slow tonight...and I am sure U of L was watching all of that. I look for a lot of changes in the schematics of the front 7 for Louisville's defense, while a lot more man coverage from the secondary. I truly feel that Louisville's defense will look night and day, different than the one that has been torched in 3 of the 8 quarters they have played thus far.

I truly feel a gem is coming.

Well after watching this weekend's run of events, Louisville is perfectly secure where they are...

I hope UK pulls this one off. They have to establish the running game and not get into a pure run and shoot contest with UL. I think both D's will be very fired up and play better than expected. But they both better play better.

However, I think UL is still a little too much for UK. Hope I am dead wrong, but here is my pick.

UL 49

UK 42

With an over/under of 99 as proposed earlier, I think they will be barely under it.

I am going to pick UK by 10. I can't vote in the poll because there are two categories a 10-pt UK win falls under...

UK 44, Louisville 34

UL won by, what, 30 last year? I don't see how UK makes up that big of a difference in one year.

But maybe they can make up the 7 points they lost by the last time UL came to Lexington, when UK was 3-8 and awful.

I love to see your occassional "I hope that Louisvile wins" posts...but then read countless posts in regards to how great the SEC is, how terrible Louisville is, and how UK has overcome any differential....you are a smoke and mirrors poster...nice.

If Brohm throws for over 350 yards and 3-5 touchdowns, I seriously doubt UK beating Louisville.

None of us know the true outcome...but with the way Coach K is having things called 5 is more likely than 2-3, IMO.

I can't believe UK is winning this poll. It won't even be close in the second half. UL by 24 -- 44-20

UK needs to force turnovers to win this ballgame. The UK defense made its reputation last year by the "bend but don't break" style. This wouldn't seem to work against UL because they tend to score from much further out than most teams due to their recieving core and accurate QB. I think we see the same UK defense that we saw in late last season against Clemson and Tennessee, and I think they will force 2 or 3 turnovers.

With the three-headed rushing attack that UK has in Little, Smith and Dixon I think they will be able to control the game and the clock just enough to be able to capitalize efficiently on these turnovers. I believe Woodson will show up huge in this game and provide one of his patented game managing efficient performances. This game will be back and forth into the fourth quarter, and I believe UK forces the last of their turnovers to seal the victory.

Kentucky 38

Louisville 34

UK gets a butt whooping....Cards rollllllllllllllllllllll.....

Cats 27

Cards 48

Let's keep it real. I'm both a Louisville and Kentucky fan. But all fairness, let's be realistic, Kentucky stands no chance against the Cards. I'm picking Louisville to win 48-27.

Of course everyone would love to see the Cats pull off the upset, but it's not happening, Brian Brohm is too prepared. The Cards coming off a un-focused game against Middle Tenn. look for the Cards to win this one by 3 TD's.

I think UK has a real shot at winning this game. I don't understand why people are saying UL by 3TDs. That doesn't make sense to me. I do think UK losing 2 very good D-tackles hurts though. Other guys are going to have to step up.

Something else that definitly plays in UK's favor is the home field advantage. The crowd is going to be as fired up and loud as its ever been.

I will be suprised if this one is a close one. UL by three scores.

Pryor will see clock...but I would venture he will be more decoy than anything. He will not add productive minutes.

The over/under will not be over 70.

It's not a big deal now, because they won, and it is over. It is not for us to worry about. The defense did indeed look dreadful, but they still have a week to prepare for it. I think they will be ready. The biggest variance that I think we will see next week, is tight man coverage. I really feel that will make a huge difference in how much pressure the line can get on the QB, I certainly feel the tackling will be improved, because that is indeed a lack of focus issue, that can be corrected by Wednesday. Things are great, Louisville has found so much that they can improve on, while still being 2-0. That's awesome.

Good spin, but things are not great when you are 2-0 against one of the worst teams in D-1 and one of the worst teams in 1-AA, and your defense has looked so horrible your fans are booing them. MTSU had 217 total yards against Florida Atlantic in week one before burning UL for 555...with a re-shuffled O-line...so no, that's not awesome...

^ You have been nothing but negative in this thread, I can see where work needs to be done and the Cards need to improve, but the ship is still sailing on. It's a survive and advance game, when you have a "real" shot at the title game. So far they have passed two tests, this week the exam steps up considerably, I expect the Cards to follow accordingly.

My football awareness is rarely questioned....think what you want....honestly even IF they weren't the best in Lexington next week...their offense just may be the best in the entire country, all is well in the 'Ville for now.

You should probably worry about YOUR pass defense ...Our offense has the power to outscore the "Big Boys" you're referring to...Does yours?

You can rest assured that the concerns in our pass defense will be addressed and corrected. We have one more game before our first test @ UK, and I feel safe to say that our defense will be improved by then. And besides, the defense only looked "bad" the very first possession of the game, in which Murray scored their only touchdown. After that, they were VERY solid the rest of the game.

If you think UK can score with UofL, as you said, we'll soon see how it plays out.

Oooh, ooh, can I be the first!? PLEEEEEEASE!!!

UofL will blowout UK

That's pretty good...perfect song.

We'll make a new video on the 16th!!!

No doubt so will we.

I swear to gosh Deuce we will have the last laugh on Sept. 15th.

And if you do, as soon as I get back from Lexington, I'll be here to take it.

Top 10 excuses for Kentucky fans when Louisville beats them for the fifth straight time this year.

10. This is Louisville's biggest game of the year.

9. Louisville isn't really a big rival for Kentucky.

8. Kentucky doesn't take Louisville seriously because they aren't in the SEC

7. The referees hate Kentucky.

6. Kentucky's saving their best efforts for the SEC games since they really mean something.

5. Kentucky's a basketball school.

4. Kentucky's in the SEC

3. Playing the game three games into the season gave Louisville more time to prepare of Kentucky.

2. Louisville lets criminals and people with questionable academic credentials play for them.

AND

1. The effects of probation is still hurting Kentucky.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, from skimming over it the one thing I'm really noticing is that people are talking about how much UL's defense lost since last season as the reason they lost this game... But from those posts, this is the best UL defense ever? Color me confused.

Other than that, Fletch, you have a lot of time on your hands. ;)

UK would have won bigger in Week 1 and would have done so on the Varsity version of ESPN without Florida/UT, Nebraska/USC, Michigan/ND, Arkansas/Alabama and so on filling the highlight space. I still think it was a bad call moving the game, as it does not change the date of the game at UL where the Cats have had the most trouble. It was a great game and congrats on the victory, but I stand by where I was quoted here...

I'm glad the game was played when it was played, personally... UK also got the game of the week replay exposure this morning... If they win big, that doesn't happen. I would rather experience the great game I watched last night than see UK win big, and I think that this game WILL help in recruiting.

UK would have won bigger in Week 1 and would have done so on the Varsity version of ESPN without Florida/UT, Nebraska/USC, Michigan/ND, Arkansas/Alabama and so on filling the highlight space. I still think it was a bad call moving the game, as it does not change the date of the game at UL where the Cats have had the most trouble. It was a great game and congrats on the victory, but I stand by where I was quoted here...

:thumb:

Nomination for post of the football season....

Great work...how long did it take you to post that?

Most UL fans thought their defense would be better this year, and I didn't see that because of the losses of Okoye and some key members in the secondary. Through the first two games their safety's were suckers...and it happened last night in the big play.

To quote RockPride...."I LOVE IT"

Lastly, many people talk about the 18%....it is amzing to see on the UL boards how they are turning on Kragthorpe, Cassity, and even launching some arrows at Jurich for settling for Kragthorpe.

Lastly, many people talk about the 18%....it is amzing to see on the UL boards how they are turning on Kragthorpe, Cassity, and even launching some arrows at Jurich for settling for Kragthorpe.

hmmm....

BIG Difference. Smith won a NCAA championship. Kragthorp has allow an undiciplined team to hit the feild three games in a row. You can't convince me that we lose that game with Petrino at the helm. Blown coverage on third and long... seriously lack of discipline lets that happen. Kragthorpe doesn't have the these (the same who were successful last season) playing at thier highest level.

UK not wiining the final four is one thing. Losing to UK in football is Much much more emabarrasing.

I actually think the defense played well enough to win last night...did they play great? No...but they were playing an exceptional offense, they had two blown coverages, and kudos to Woodson for recognizing it at the right times....I hate that Louisville fans are so sudden to want to hang someone out.