Rowan County 59 Ashland 56

First bolded - I've seen the lean.

Second bolded - lots of things would have to have gone right.

Third bolded - I'm gonna HAVE to listen in one of these days. Same as the football guys?

One thing about is Ashland's radio guys did go wild and kkept going on and on about it. But there were two other neutral radio stations doing the game and both were very critical of the no call. One went as far as saying it could have been the worst no call he had seen in his 10+years of covering the regional tournament.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing about is Ashland's radio guys did go wild and kkept going on and on about it. But there were two other neutral radio stations doing the game and both were very critical of the no call. One went as far as saying it could have been the worst no call he had seen in his 10+years of covering the regional tournament.

One announcer said he thought it should have been intentional. I disagree.

Judging by the chatter; sounds like a bad way for a game - ANY game - to end. The old adage - let the players decide the outcome, maybe? Not that I agree with that - a foul is a foul whether it happens in the first minute or the final minute; or it should be.

And I've seen the opposite happen as well - phantom calls that sent folks to the line that decided the outcome of games.

I was there, and unless I missed it he wasn't laying on the floor. He did chase the officials who very swiftly left the playing surface. Bo Queen had his finish line lean on. Buddy made it out to mid court before he got back to the handshake line. I'm sure that there will be plenty of talk about that non call for a long time. I've even heard from those who said it should have been 3 shots and the ball because it was intentional. I think that's a bit over the top. And then listening to the post game it was made to sound like Ashland was robbed a sure trip to the tournament. I understand the anger of it in the heat of the moment, but that would assume that all 3 FT's would have gone in and Ashland would have won it in overtime. But it's never been above the Ashland radio guys to ASSUME. And I mean that in the purest form.

Ashland was robbed, of an attempt to go into overtime. Pathetic no call on the shot. No excuse for it.

Also, Congrats to Rowan Co are deserved. :thumb: They played well and it certainly wasn't their fault the ref closed his eyes.

I agree. And what's more is that it would have been Egan's 5th. Had Whetsel been able to make them all and it went to OT, Wing and Townsend both had 4 and Egan would have been watching.

Thats an excellent point about Rowan's foul trouble if the game would have be extended. Those would have been extremely tough free throws for the young man from Ashland.

I agree. And what's more is that it would have been Egan's 5th. Had Whetsel been able to make them all and it went to OT, Wing and Townsend both had 4 and Egan would have been watching.

If they made a call on the foul before the attempted shot wouldn't he be shooting 2 instead of 3, or do we just ignore that foul and fast forward to the foul that gives 3 foul shots?

If they made a call on the foul before the attempted shot wouldn't he be shooting 2 instead of 3, or do we just ignore that foul and fast forward to the foul that gives 3 foul shots?

I'm not saying what foul should have been called. They called neither. And he was fouled. Thacker said so. Everyone in the gym thought so. So, I suppose I agree, if he was fouled it should have been called before it was put in play and would have been 2 FT vs. 3 FT.

Regardless, would you have been appalled had they called the foul on the shot?

I'm not saying what foul should have been called. They called neither. And he was fouled. Thacker said so. Everyone in the gym thought so. So, I suppose I agree, if he was fouled it should have been called before it was put in play and would have been 2 FT vs. 3 FT.

Regardless, would you have been appalled had they called the foul on the shot?

Would have had they let the first foul go and called the second, especially since Rowan was obviously trying to foul.

Would have had they let the first foul go and called the second, especially since Rowan was obviously trying to foul.

And that's the whole point of the tactic of fouling the shooter at the end of the game. The rationale is the odds make it much harder to drop in 3 free throws as opposed to one three point shot. So the defense conceeds the free throws and committs a good hard foul on the shooter, who then must toe the line and face all the spotlight that goes with it. I have no problem with the coaching wisdom of doing that, or of Egan's effort to execute that strategy. My problem is with referee Bo Queen's failure to act. You don't just deny due process out there on the court like he did. Think of all the sensational highlights of buzzer beater shots in high school tourrnament play to come yet in this season. By the standards of this particular ref the team on defense could just tackle the shooter and celebrate their win. You can't deny a team the opportunity to shoot by using means that are clearly outside the rules of the game and not award the free throws. And that standard would apply even if the shooter was way out near half court. In this case the shooter was just past the 3 point line and well positioned for the shot. Saying that, I fully realize Whetsel would have had to make all three free throws and then the game would have gone into overtime, but as Spindoc mentioned Rowan would have had to play 4 minutes without Egan. No offense meant at all to Rowan fans here but I liked Ashland chances in the OT they fully deserved a chance to try for at the free throw line. Major travesty

I think his point is that if there is a cry that no foul was called it should have been the foul that was called before he caught the ball in the first place on the floor which would have resulted in only 2 freethrows. Or at least that's how I understand his point.

I think his point is that if there is a cry that no foul was called it should have been the foul that was called before he caught the ball in the first place on the floor which would have resulted in only 2 freethrows. Or at least that's how I understand his point.

You are correct