Rowan County 59 Ashland 56

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rowan Co. boys outlast Ashland Blazer in 16th Region finals

Rowan County is headed back to the Sweet Sixteen and hoping to conjure up the same kind of magic that carried it to a state runner-up finish last year. The Vikings rallied past Ashland Blazer 59-56 in a down-to-the-wire 16th Region finals at Morehead State on Monday night.

Read story

Read more here: High school & prep sports news from Lexington, KY | Lexington Herald-Leader

NZl8t.AuSt.79.jpg

Ashlands Kyle Bush, left and Corey Gregg sobbed on the bench as Rowan County defeated Ashland 59-56 in the 16th region final on Monday March 5, 2012 in Morehead, Ky. Photo by Mark Cornelison | Staff MARK CORNELISON — Herald-Leader

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/03/05/2096947/rowan-co-boys-outlast-ashland.html#storylink=cpy

I was there, and unless I missed it he wasn't laying on the floor. He did chase the officials who very swiftly left the playing surface. Bo Queen had his finish line lean on. Buddy made it out to mid court before he got back to the handshake line. I'm sure that there will be plenty of talk about that non call for a long time. I've even heard from those who said it should have been 3 shots and the ball because it was intentional. I think that's a bit over the top. And then listening to the post game it was made to sound like Ashland was robbed a sure trip to the tournament. I understand the anger of it in the heat of the moment, but that would assume that all 3 FT's would have gone in and Ashland would have won it in overtime. But it's never been above the Ashland radio guys to ASSUME. And I mean that in the purest form.

Both if you ask me. If they were gonna blow the whistle, it should have been on the floor IMO. Then when they didn't and he caught it, he actually got the ball in position to shoot, and there was contact with the ball, the arm. I have no idea if the horn sounded yet or not, but I assume it hadn't. Should have been called in my opinion.

Like I said before I think Rowan was fouling on purpose which to me was the smart play. It appeared to me that the Rowan player, Eagen I believe, was trying to foul by holding before the ball was passed in bounds. Once Whetsel broke from the hold Eagan was late getting to him and fouled him in the act of shooting. I have talked to several people, some from Ashland, some from Rowan, and others from parts unknown and everyone of them agrees that it was a missed call and Whetsel was shooting. However, this wasn't was not the difference in the game. Poor free throw shooting on Ashland's part and excellent free throw shooting on Rowans part was the difference. Yes the officiating was poor all the way around but not the reason for the outcome.

Like I said before I think Rowan was fouling on purpose which to me was the smart play. It appeared to me that the Rowan player, Eagen I believe, was trying to foul by holding before the ball was passed in bounds. Once Whetsel broke from the hold Eagan was late getting to him and fouled him in the act of shooting. I have talked to several people, some from Ashland, some from Rowan, and others from parts unknown and everyone of them agrees that it was a missed call and Whetsel was shooting. However, this wasn't was not the difference in the game. Poor free throw shooting on Ashland's part and excellent free throw shooting on Rowans part was the difference. Yes the officiating was poor all the way around but not the reason for the outcome.

Agree, and I would add, nobody wants to knock coach Thacker or any of his players. He was very gracious in his post game comments. It was the smart play. Good luck to Rowan at the Sweet Sixteen.

Was he fouled before or after he started his shooting motion?

He was held by maybe two players breaking to get the ball and once he received the pass he turned to shoot had was fould very hard accross both arm hard enough it took him to the floor as was said above the ball got a foot above his head at most. I thought the other two refs hesited for a moment I think expecting the ref buy the play to make the call then they made the sprint off the floor to the dressing room.

I was there, and unless I missed it he wasn't laying on the floor. He did chase the officials who very swiftly left the playing surface. Bo Queen had his finish line lean on. Buddy made it out to mid court before he got back to the handshake line. I'm sure that there will be plenty of talk about that non call for a long time. I've even heard from those who said it should have been 3 shots and the ball because it was intentional. I think that's a bit over the top. And then listening to the post game it was made to sound like Ashland was robbed a sure trip to the tournament. I understand the anger of it in the heat of the moment, but that would assume that all 3 FT's would have gone in and Ashland would have won it in overtime. But it's never been above the Ashland radio guys to ASSUME. And I mean that in the purest form.

First bolded - I've seen the lean.

Second bolded - lots of things would have to have gone right.

Third bolded - I'm gonna HAVE to listen in one of these days. Same as the football guys?

First bolded - I've seen the lean.

Second bolded - lots of things would have to have gone right.

Third bolded - I'm gonna HAVE to listen in one of these days. Same as the football guys?

Yes. Refs were not gassed at all, Carl Lewis'd to the dressing room.