Rowan County 59 Ashland 56

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Final from the 16th region finals at Morehead.

According to all 3 radio stations doing the game two of them netural stations said the Ashland player got hammered on a 3 point attempt at the buzzer. A terrible no call.

I can give a first hand account. Rowan Co. made plays down the stretch and deserved to win. However, the last play was bizarre. Rowan was trying to foul pryor to a shot attempt. The player from Rowan held the Ashland player on his cut, once the Ashland player broke the arm tackle the Rowan player went back for more and was late. He clearly came across both of the shooters arms with both of his arms. Really, just a strange sequence of events. It's a shame that it wasn't called but Ashland only have themselves to blame. Poor free throw shooting was the reason they lost.

I couldn't help but think that a similar fate was awaiting Rowan as it did Fleming. I thought sure that they were gonna foul Bush with the ball out front before it ever got to that. And another bizarre call was the turnover that sure appeared tipped by an Ashland defender out of bounds on a cross court pass that the official gave to Ashland. Ashland had plenty of chances for sure.

Congratulations to Rowan, represent the region well!!

I couldn't help but think that a similar fate was awaiting Rowan as it did Fleming. I thought sure that they were gonna foul Bush with the ball out front before it ever got to that. And another bizarre call was the turnover that sure appeared tipped by an Ashland defender out of bounds on a cross court pass that the official gave to Ashland. Ashland had plenty of chances for sure.

Congratulations to Rowan, represent the region well!!

Referee signaled that the ball was tipped twice. At least that's what it appeared to me he signaled. He actually pointed at Wing and said he tipped it.

Couldn't agree more that Ashland had their chances. I would say more than chances a 4 point lead with 3 to play. Have to put those away.

I'd like to say good luck to the Ashland seniors. Bush, Whetsel, Gregg, Withrow. 3 of which I watched grow up at Rose Hill. I wish them the best of luck in their college choices. They've been fierce competitors for a long time and leave a mark on the legacy at Ashland. They will be tough to follow for the next few classes, no doubt.

I can give a first hand account. Rowan Co. made plays down the stretch and deserved to win. However, the last play was bizarre. Rowan was trying to foul pryor to a shot attempt. The player from Rowan held the Ashland player on his cut, once the Ashland player broke the arm tackle the Rowan player went back for more and was late. He clearly came across both of the shooters arms with both of his arms. Really, just a strange sequence of events. It's a shame that it wasn't called but Ashland only have themselves to blame. Poor free throw shooting was the reason they lost.

Coach Thacker clearly wasn't going to make the same mistake Fleming did, being up 3 and Ashland had the ball at the end of the game. You understand giving up 2 points instead of 3 by fouling. What cannot be understood is how the official standing right on top of the play allows Rowan to deny Ashland a shot by an intentional foul not once but twice on the same play by the same player and no call at all is made. The reason the shooter was on his knees is because he was tackled. I guess the ref just decided Ashland didn't deserve a last second attempt at scoring. I don't know what made him think he had the right to decide Ashland shouldn't have the right to go for the tie but, he did it anyway. Nobody knows what would have been the result of the shot or of the free throws that should have been awarded but it would have been fair to at least find out. That is what the officials are paid to do, right? FWIW, when a no call makes the late sports news on TV, you know it's a big deal.

Coach Thacker clearly wasn't going to make the same mistake Fleming did, being up 3 and Ashland had the ball at the end of the game. You understand giving up 2 points instead of 3 by fouling. What cannot be understood is how the official standing right on top of the play allows Rowan to deny Ashland a shot by an intentional foul not once but twice on the same play by the same player and no call at all is made. The reason the shooter was on his knees is because he was tackled. I guess the ref just decided Ashland didn't deserve a last second attempt at scoring. I don't know what made him think he had the right to decide Ashland shouldn't have the right to go for the tie but, he did it anyway. Nobody knows what would have been the result of the shot or of the free throws that should have been awarded but it would have been fair to at least find out. That is what the officials are paid to do, right? FWIW, when a no call makes the late sports news on TV, you know it's a big deal.

To get the bolded out of the way: This is why I despise people saying officials shouldn't determine games at the end, should let the kids decide the games, et al. Basically, and their was a thread on this earlier in the season, that officials shouldn't make calls at the end of games. Call the game.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the game, or the Rowan win. And I'm not saying Ashland didn't have chances, I wasn't there. I'm glad it was a well played, well attended game, and congrats to both teams.

My point is generic in nature, that when you clamor for no-calls to end ballgames, this is what you're bound to eventually get. And, that's a shame.