Kentucky B-Ball Histrory & Bama football history

Alabama Larry

So you want us to overlook the fact that Joe Willie was a drunk in his 60's. Fine. What about when he was suspended from the college team for violating the Bear's policy on alcohol usage. Is that fair game?
Its true, he was a drunk in High school, had one beer and got caught and kicked off the Bama team. Did I say "Over look anything? Nope, just said he had what Guts and won the game that meant the most to him and his team. Throw stones doesn't matter, history is just that History. There was an hour and half story on Joe last might, I wonder why, I know of three books written on him, he changed the NFL, that why I stated in a post about Joe and this debate is done.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does anything a former Alabama player did in the pros have to do with the Crimson Tide football program? You are quick to point out that they are FORMER players when they get in trouble. So in turn why should we consider their pro careers to measure the standing of the Alabama football program? You can't have it both ways.
Sorry, You make your points and I make mine. I've stated some Bama facts on here I believe. No one wants to defend UK, want to bash ole Joe, debate is not going anywhere. Lets move this to the football thread and try a differnet route, maybe Norte Dame football/Sooners/Corn Huskers/Canes/LSU/etc for the nation.

What does anything a former Alabama player did in the pros have to do with the Crimson Tide football program? You are quick to point out that they are FORMER players when they get in trouble. So in turn why should we consider their pro careers to measure the standing of the Alabama football program? You can't have it both ways.
Ralph Beard/Frank Ramsey/Dan Issel/Louis Dampier/Cliff Hagan/Pat Riley/ were all very good players in the Pros, nothing wrong with bring up players from these schools.

If that is what you meant then why did you start this thread? In this thread you wanted to compare each teams accomplishments in their respective sports. Since it isn't going your way you want to backtrack.
I believe its going the way I wrote it. Can you show where "It isn't going my way"? Maybe bashing Joe Willie is that what you are trying to show? I make points you people want to bring down an old man. But its fair, Joe admitted his Sins.

Its not really fair to compare titles between basketball and football IMO.

In basketball the NIT was a much bigger deal than the NCAA tourney for much of the 20th century.

In football, the champion is still being disputed.

In terms of long term consistent success, someone would be hard pressed to find a better college program than UK basketball, even if UCLA does have more titles.

A very good point. In Football one loss can kill you most times, this year is a perfect example, in B-Ball you need to be in the top 64 and it is played to the end. Get hot at the right time, Butler is a good example.

A very good point. In Football one loss can kill you most times, this year is a perfect example, in B-Ball you need to be in the top 64 and it is played to the end. Get hot at the right time, Butler is a good example.

Its tough to gauge the most prestigious program. Four or five schools can lay claim in basketball, same for football.

UK basketball and Alabama football are definitely in the conversation in their sports, if not the top two programs.

Its tough to gauge the most prestigious program. Four or five schools can lay claim in basketball, same for football.

UK basketball and Alabama football are definitely in the conversation in their sports, if not the top two programs.

Again I agree and I hope UK wins it the next 10 years. Yep, thats right. I live in the state and follow this team since The Runts of Riley/Dampier/Kron/Jarrez/Conley /Argento/Tallent/Rupp/Parsons. That my fellow posters is a long time.

Saw this and thought it might pass the time, I know there are several UK Basketball fans on here and maybe a couple of Bama football on here too. Someone stated they thought Kentucky's basketball history and accomplishments are just as impressive in that sport as say Alabama's is in Football.

Well I know a lot about UK 's basketball as much as a really good Fan, but also I am very good with Bama football, and even though UK has a storied and great tradition Bama football might be a little ahead.

I can give several reason why I think that but will let others chime in first if they want to, but knowing the last four years and going to BCS Bowl Games (winning three) is kinda hard to ignore. I don't want to knock the Cats program, so if no one wants to debate this issue thats OK. Maybe we can't really debate this issue because going to a final four is great and football only has the Bowls.

Also I didn't raise this Myself, someone had stated that they were equal with Bama and I disagreed.

We could also do UK football verses Bama basketball. But again it might not be very fair, Bama in the decade of the 80s was the only B-Ball team to reach the Sweet 16 the most times, so lets see how this goes.

I did mention that I follow the Cats didn't I?

Again I agree and I hope UK wins it the next 10 years. Yep, thats right. I live in the state and follow this team since The Runts of Riley/Dampier/Kron/Jarrez/Conley /Argento/Tallent/Rupp/Parsons. That my fellow posters is a long time.

So if you do believe this then why start the debate. I never said that Kentucky's standing in basketball history was better than Alabama's standing in football..... Just that it was on par.

Its not really fair to compare titles between basketball and football IMO.

In basketball the NIT was a much bigger deal than the NCAA tourney for much of the 20th century.

In football, the champion is still being disputed.

In terms of long term consistent success, someone would be hard pressed to find a better college program than UK basketball, even if UCLA does have more titles.

Not really. It started in the late 30's and very quickly there was a dispute on which tournament crowned the champion. By the mid 50's there was no dispute.

We had the first 3 MVPs in the Super Bowls, was decade of the 60 team voted by SI and the 70s again back to back decades. The UK BB Coach was very good and ranks close to our Coach of the same era. When most experts think of College basketball tradition it is UK.

Can anyone name two rock groups who wrote songs about Alabama football team? One was a huge hit. Its not the one about the State.

Coach of the Century?

Name two players from Bama they starred in movies?

The only school to win the Rose/Sugar/Cotton/ Orange Bowls.

The only school to have a player score a TD in 4 major Bowls games, four straight years.

A Player voted #1 in the Pro football history.

Over a thousand people are named after their coach.

I don't recall those, can you give me the names?

If one of them is "Deacon Blues" the song is not about Alabama Football, it was a reference but was not "about" Alabama football. It fit the meter and went with Fagan's storyline. That's a reach in this discussion Larry. Other points are good, but that one is a reach.

And what is "A Player voted #1 in the Pro Football history?

I found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_FBS_National_Football_Championship

Seems that Princeton claims 28 National Titles and Yale claims 26.

College Football Data Warehouse lists: Princeton with 26, Yale with 18, Alabama with 13, Notre Dame with 13, and Michigan with 11. Same site.

In the modern poll era, Alabama has 9 National Championships (1936 to present). Notre Dame has 8, while USC and Oklahoma have 7 each.

I don't recall those, can you give me the names?

If one of them is "Deacon Blues" the song is not about Alabama Football, it was a reference but was not "about" Alabama football. It fit the meter and went with Fagan's storyline. That's a reach in this discussion Larry. Other points are good, but that one is a reach.

And what is "A Player voted #1 in the Pro Football history?

Walter Becker co wrote the song with Donald Fagen, "we wanted to reference Alabama Football in some way so we penned the "Winners of the World" into the song.

The other song is by America, I have the CD somewhere and in the liner jacket they tell how they were watching Bama on TV and decided to write a song about the team, I'll hunt down the CD later, my sons are terrible with taking them.

Don Hutson Green Bay Hall of Famer. Played on the other end with the Bear. On my debate I hardly mentioned the Bear.

So if you do believe this then why start the debate. I never said that Kentucky's standing in basketball history was better than Alabama's standing in football..... Just that it was on par.
And I disagreed with the "On Par" and wanted to debate that part, and I said if they can win a couple of NCs the "on par" would certainly fit.

But no one decided to use UK much, but chose to bash Bama and what they have done. I didn't even read Hatzs stuff. Doesn't matter. Not much a debate when I have to debate both ends.

The History of UK with the long history of Coach Rupp, and his coaching styles, The way he chose to not want to give up the job, racial overtones which were false/ Cawood Ledford,/ Coming back from the "Shame of Kentucky" and the Unforgetables/The Duke game/ beating the Orange men with Rick beating Boehm who gave him his first job while Rick and Joanne were on their Honeymoon/ Tubby as a first year coach/ A first time Black head coach. But no one wanted to play.