Kentucky B-Ball Histrory & Bama football history

Alabama Larry

More than slightly, but for some strange reason the media folks never bring that up. They like to mention UK's point shaving in the early '50s and the $1000 package in the late '80s, but Sam Gilbert buying UCLA and John Wooden many of their championships is rarely mentioned (and I'm not pretending that UK is innocent in money changing hands either, but it was discovered to be on a grand scale at UCLA). Wooden went from a very average coach the first 15 years of his career to a mega-coach when he started getting NBA squads, compliments of his wealthy booster.

Exactly what I was referring to.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand by what Joe Willie did on the field, not when he had a disease of Alcohol. Had this for many years and had to play with injuries and the days of QBs not getting protection in the pocket as like today. Gonna reread the quote by the poster who started this thread from another thread.

If you want to show Joe at his worst as a sick man in his 60s, then that fine. We all Sin and fall short of the Glory of God.

You don't make sense. Boys and girls read these comments. I brought the thread over from another poster.

I don't make sense? I've been reading your post for a long time, and you saying my post doesn't make sense is comparable to a Kentucky football fan telling a LSU football fan their football team sucks. I'm sure boys and girls know what the term penis envy refers to, but since you don't seem to, I'll clue you in.

It's an inferiority complex.

The fuss began in an Alabama basket thread. When it was pointed out that Alabama put about as much emphasis on basketball as Kentucky does on football. Alabama Larry mentioned how spoiled they were winning all of their titles in football and that Kentucky's basketball was not on the same level in their sport. I said that Kentucky's accomplishments in basketball are just as impressive as Alabama's in football.
Here is what I said.."Well we are spoiled winning the most National Championships (Fact) and having many records in football (10 win season/Bowls Bowls victories) (another fact). UK needs to win a few to be in the same class as Bama". 14-7 Numbers are a great thing.

Did not use the words "Level in their sport"..So what did I say that was wrong or down grading to UK? The last time they won a NC was when? They win this year and two years from now I'd say their stock will rise to an equal status with Bama and UCLA/Duke.

Edited by Alabama Larry

We had the first 3 MVPs in the Super Bowls, was decade of the 60 team voted by SI and the 70s again back to back decades. The UK BB Coach was very good and ranks close to our Coach of the same era. When most experts think of College basketball tradition it is UK.

Can anyone name two rock groups who wrote songs about Alabama football team? One was a huge hit. Its not the one about the State.

Coach of the Century?

Name two players from Bama they starred in movies?

The only school to win the Rose/Sugar/Cotton/ Orange Bowls.

The only school to have a player score a TD in 4 major Bowls games, four straight years.

A Player voted #1 in the Pro football history.

Over a thousand people are named after their coach.

I know I know, UK Basketball has a history of two drunk coaches and the very dishonorable Mr. Farmer. Just pointing out Joe Willie doesn't settle anything. Now if you had said Paul "Bear" Bryant, then you might have had something, but not Namath.
To be fair Bama has had some coaching issues also. Mike Dubose/Mike Price because of not winning but their actions were just down right fireable.

Joe Namath, its over, lets move on.

I'd argue that Namath isn't even the best QB from Alabama. His national championship year, he threw for 5 touchdowns all season with less than 800 passing yards. While he did last 13 years as a pro he only averaged 13 TD's a year and had about 50 more INT's than TD's over his career. Sure he had the name, but I think others produced far better than he did.

I don't make sense? I've been reading your post for a long time, and you saying my post doesn't make sense is comparable to a Kentucky football fan telling a LSU football fan their football team sucks. I'm sure boys and girls know what the term penis envy refers to, but since you don't seem to, I'll clue you in.

It's an inferiority complex.

Only complex I have is ordering my gear with National Champs on it. I'll ask my son in the morning, but he will say..MOM! dad starting that talk again. You keep reading.

I stand by what Joe Willie did on the field, not when he had a disease of Alcohol. Had this for many years and had to play with injuries and the days of QBs not getting protection in the pocket as like today. Gonna reread the quote by the poster who started this thread from another thread.

If you want to show Joe at his worst as a sick man in his 60s, then that fine. We all Sin and fall short of the Glory of God.

So you want us to overlook the fact that Joe Willie was a drunk in his 60's. Fine. What about when he was suspended from the college team for violating the Bear's policy on alcohol usage. Is that fair game?

I'd argue that Namath isn't even the best QB from Alabama. His national championship year, he threw for 5 touchdowns all season with less than 800 passing yards. While he did last 13 years as a pro he only averaged 13 TD's a year and had about 50 more INT's than TD's over his career. Sure he had the name, but I think others produced far better than he did.
I agree, he got hurt and missed a lot of time, but its later in the Pros he made his name and the guts playing with two bad knees and Lineman knowing that.

He won at the right time, he loses that game, and I'm in bed. Sometimes in life it only requires that one day.

Its not really fair to compare titles between basketball and football IMO.

In basketball the NIT was a much bigger deal than the NCAA tourney for much of the 20th century.

In football, the champion is still being disputed.

In terms of long term consistent success, someone would be hard pressed to find a better college program than UK basketball, even if UCLA does have more titles.

Here is what I said.."Well we are spoiled winning the most National Championships (Fact) and having many records in football (10 win season/Bowls Bowls victories) (another fact). UK needs to win a few to be in the same class as Bama". 14-7 Numbers are a great thing.

Did not use the words "Level in their sport"..So what did I say that was wrong or down grading to i? The last time they won a NC was when? They win this year and two years from now I'd say their stock will rise to an equal status with Bama and UCLA/Duke.

If that is what you meant then why did you start this thread? In this thread you wanted to compare each teams accomplishments in their respective sports. Since it isn't going your way you want to backtrack.

We had the first 3 MVPs in the Super Bowls, was decade of the 60 team voted by SI and the 70s again back to back decades. The UK BB Coach was very good and ranks close to our Coach of the same era. When most experts think of College basketball tradition it is UK.

Can anyone name two rock groups who wrote songs about Alabama football team? One was a huge hit. Its not the one about the State.

Coach of the Century?

Name two players from Bama they starred in movies?

The only school to win the Rose/Sugar/Cotton/ Orange Bowls.

The only school to have a player score a TD in 4 major Bowls games, four straight years.

A Player voted #1 in the Pro football history.

Over a thousand people are named after their coach.

What does anything a former Alabama player did in the pros have to do with the Crimson Tide football program? You are quick to point out that they are FORMER players when they get in trouble. So in turn why should we consider their pro careers to measure the standing of the Alabama football program? You can't have it both ways.