January 31, 201214 yr :ohbrother: Really...reread the thread yourself. Post #4 looks like Hatz is taking a shot at the validity of Bama's championships. I don't need to reread anything, apparantly Bama fans do though. AJG asked how many of Bama's championships were split. Asking a simple question, no "bashing" of Bama of any sort. Hatz simply answered his question, then you came in with the bashing of UK.
January 31, 201214 yr If we are talking about the list complied by the NFL Network, than the complete list can be found at this link. http://top100.nfl.com/all-time-100 So much for Hutson as the greatest ever. :lol:
January 31, 201214 yr We have 14 by the NCAA, don't tell me 13 we won a few weeks ago 13+1 =14. NFL sources/Network, and most other experts, not me I'd said Dick Butkus. I only watched the show. You need to research Don Hutson my Brother. I know quite a lot about Hutson and his impact on the game. I will gladly look up on their site but when you don't give credit to sources (as I've tried to do) it makes it harder to verify. Speaking of sources, you obviously did not read my post or check out the website that stated 13. As to your claim about the NCAA says, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but the NCAA does not award a National Championship in football do they? The polls and/or BCS do. You are historically the AP or UPI National Champion, or now the BCS National Champion (or in the case of USC one year the AP National Champion) but none of these are the NCAA champion. As I said before Larry, if you aren't going to check out competing sources or take the time to document your statements, it smacks of "Because I said so," rather than the record shows.
January 31, 201214 yr Song is still there. There is a name for the winners in the world, and there is a name when they lose, They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues. I'm singing this out loud by the way. Love these guys. I'm a HUGE Steely Dan fan and like the reference. It was not really about Alabama Football however but used the illustration to create the contrast.
January 31, 201214 yr :ohbrother: Really...reread the thread yourself. Post #4 looks like Hatz is taking a shot at the validity of Bama's championships. Because some of them are a problem and yet the University counts them. Pull up each year I spoke about and then counter the argument. That's how debates are conducted. You take it as a slam, but it's worth noting.
January 31, 201214 yr So much for Hutson as the greatest ever. :lol:Which I am sure you can find some lists that would list Hutson as the top, just as you could find some that would list LeBron as the best player in the NBA . I just knew that list (both) did not because I watched both episodes.
January 31, 201214 yr We played against Auburn/Gators/LSU/Vols/ year in and out and they have won Titles, Kentucky was the real deal during this time and I believe the Gators have won a NCAA. At one time assistant football coaches in the 50s/60s helped the basketball teams. Now whos fault is that? The Cats had a great coach and he won a lot of games and some NCAAs, but we all know the level was weak, again not UKs fault just the way it was. Pistol never beat UK. Football was a little different. Heisman trophy won by Darth Visor/Pat Sullivan/Bo Jackson/Herschel Walker. Others in both sports have won a NCAA Hogs/ Heisman George Rogers but they were not in the SEC at the time. Its nice to post facts in a debate and not bash each other...Newt/Mitt. Someone said its hard to cross sports and I believe they might be right. Disreguard all my comments. Gonna watch the Bachelor. I promised Mama. Really, the level was weak. Let's see: *1948 KY defeated defending champion Holy Cross on their way to the title. That's Holy Cross with Bob Cousey and George Kaftan on it. *1954 KY defeated eventual champ LaSalle and Tom Gola. They also defeated Bob Pettit and his LSU tigers (you know, one of the weak SEC teams you mentioned) *1958 KY defeats Elgin Baylor in the National Title game but again, that's some weak 50's player. The list goes on and your argument holds less water all the time. Were there terrible SEC teams, certainly. Were there weak programs, you bet. But the same can be held in any sport. Ironically KY Basketball was one of the few SEC programs willing to play against integrated teams such as St Johns in 1951-52 (Solly Walker), Michigan State in NCAA (Johnny Green), and Seattle (Baylor and Charley Brown) and Temple (the great Guy Rodgers). BTW, even Alabama refused an NCAA bid in 1956 because of integrated teams. Same is true for Mississippi State in '59 and early 60's. Another feather in UK's cap over the Alabama football program is that very fact, they did not play integrated teams until late 60's.
January 31, 201214 yr So you are saying basketball teams were pretty good back in the 60s/70s in the SEC compared to the teams in Football? Kentucky had very little competition and it wasn't their fauly. Football even though we dominated was more equal. Basketball coaches were football coaches so they could add to their income. See post #97. BTW, you're time frame is off. The old "football coaches coached basketball" was really during the 40's and early 50's, by the 60's Miss State had Babe McCarthy, Alabama had Johnny Dee, Tennessee had Ray Mears. Those were all very good coaches.
January 31, 201214 yr I like this stat. Overall record and winning percentage. Alabama football - 814-320-43 (.692) Kentuckky basketball - 2073-648 (.762) That's from wikipedia, so I'm not sure if it is up to the minute or not.
January 31, 201214 yr I like this stat. Overall record and winning percentage. Alabama football - 814-320-43 (.692) Kentuckky basketball - 2073-648 (.762) That's from wikipedia, so I'm not sure if it is up to the minute or not. I believe UK has the highest percentage in college basketball. It really is tough to compare one sport versus another. .692 historically for football would be really good. Michigan may be at the top of that list. They were at one time at least.
January 31, 201214 yr Author I have enjoyed reading the thread. I'm just saying that there is legitimately no way to get any semblance of a consensus on the topic. UK fans consider UK the "mecca" of all college hoops, while Alabama fans consider their school all that is holy in the collegiate gridiron. You had to start the thread knowing that you'd just rile up UK fans into an argument that they can't win. It's an argument you can't win either, though. That's all I'm saying.Thats fine, what did I say in the opening, can't remember something along the line of waiting for NSD? I'd been shocked if everyone agreed that we have done more with our program in the last 10 years. But I wanted them to defend their team and not bash Joe Willie.
January 31, 201214 yr Author I'm saying the strength of the SEC in basketball is completely irrelevant. Basketball teams play a much higher number of OOC games, and Kentucky typically plays good teams (for example: Louisville, Indiana, Kansas, UNC). Even if they didn't play a tough OOC schedule, they have to play in a TOURNAMENT!!!!! So no matter who they play during the regular season, they're playing several tough games in order to win a championship. Saying the path the an NCAA football title (the vast majority of which have simply been voted on) is more difficult than winning an NCAA basketball title is idiotic. Bama is a great football program. Kentucky is a great basketball program. Quit downplaying UK's success to make yourself feel better. It hasn't even been a month since you wont the BCS title, and all you can think to do is trash another program? Talk about an inferiority complex. Geez. Dude, Look around we have won TWO National Championships in the past three years, gone to four Straight BCS Bowl Game 3-1. For you to say I have to do this thread to make me feel better, well you used a "I" word there. GEEZ.... Two NCs make me feel better and we might be Pre Season #1 next year. Show me where I "trashed" anything or body on this whole site in the past 6 years? Those are your words not mine, I even defending UK in my own thread. Skip this one if you are having with draw pains. ROLL TIDE!
January 31, 201214 yr Author The one I saw on NFL had Don Hutson as the #1 player. I know what I saw on the TV and I was surprised he was #1. They showed some highlites. Maybe there was two or more shows but please don't tell me I made this up. You are calling me a liar, and thats not gonna wash.
January 31, 201214 yr Thats fine, what did I say in the opening, can't remember something along the line of waiting for NSD? I'd been shocked if everyone agreed that we have done more with our program in the last 10 years. But I wanted them to defend their team and not bash Joe Willie. Pointing out that some of Bama's titles are split titles isn't bashing Larry. It's a fact. Anything that isn't praise for the Tide is bashing in your mind. It's impossible to have a logical debate with someone when they're as biased as you are with Bama football. Any time anyone says anything that isn't a positive about Bama you start the whole "you're bashing Bama" angle. You ask for facts, provide zero support or backup for your "facts", and then dismiss the backup others post as support for their arguments. Sorry Larry, but that's not the actions of someone looking for a debate, it's what someone who wants reaffirmation that their opinions are right does.
January 31, 201214 yr The one I saw on NFL had Don Hutson as the #1 player. I know what I saw on the TV and I was surprised he was #1. They showed some highlites. Maybe there was two or more shows but please don't tell me I made this up. You are calling me a liar, and thats not gonna wash. No one is calling you a liar. Most likely you misunderstood or misheard what they were saying on the show. Happens to all of us from time to time. Except for me (I'm perfect don't ya know. )
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.