Kentucky B-Ball Histrory & Bama football history

Alabama Larry

Saw this and thought it might pass the time, I know there are several UK Basketball fans on here and maybe a couple of Bama football on here too. Someone stated they thought Kentucky's basketball history and accomplishments are just as impressive in that sport as say Alabama's is in Football.

Well I know a lot about UK 's basketball as much as a really good Fan, but also I am very good with Bama football, and even though UK has a storied and great tradition Bama football might be a little ahead.

I can give several reason why I think that but will let others chime in first if they want to, but knowing the last four years and going to BCS Bowl Games (winning three) is kinda hard to ignore. I don't want to knock the Cats program, so if no one wants to debate this issue thats OK. Maybe we can't really debate this issue because going to a final four is great and football only has the Bowls.

Also I didn't raise this Myself, someone had stated that they were equal with Bama and I disagreed.

We could also do UK football verses Bama basketball. But again it might not be very fair, Bama in the decade of the 80s was the only B-Ball team to reach the Sweet 16 the most times, so lets see how this goes.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bama Football is running at an All-Time high, 2 titles in 3 years. UK did the same in basketball 96-98. While looking at it right now Bama would probably come out ahead if they had been compared then (back in 96-98) UK would have, as Bama football after Stalling wandered lost in the wilderness for several years. But this is like comparing apples and oranges just due to the way championships are determined in the two sports.

FWIW I am a life long Bama Football Fan and a life long UK Basketball fan.

How many of Alabama's National Titles were split Chamionships? They don't have split Championships in basketball. Is Alabama the all-time winningest team in football? Kentucky is in basketball. As far a number of National Championships Alabama does have more. However, they have been awarding Championships in football a lot longer than they have in basketball so there has not been as many opportunities for basketball championships.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabama_Crimson_Tide_football, the Tide claim 14 National Titles.

But upon closer observation there are issues with some of those claims.

1941 they finished 9-2 but because the Houlgate Poll declared them National Champs, they count it. Funny, the article cites that Texas was listed as a National Champ that year by some obscure group but I don't think the Longhorns claim that one on their official sites.

1964 they were National Champs because the polls didn't wait until after the bowls. They were beaten by Texas and finished with a record of 10-1 while others were undefeated. Notably Arkansas who had nipped the Longhorns in the regular season.

1965 the Tide finished 9-1-1 but were named Champs after the Bowl season. Regular season champs belonged to Michigan State's Green Machine who were upset by 1 point in the Rose Bowl by UCLA (a team they had beaten handily in the regular season). Still the Spartans finished 9-1, a better record than Bama.

1974 the undefeated Tide claim a regular season title but lost in the Sugar Bowl matchup with Notre Dame (also undefeated).

The above are 5 titles that are debatable at best. For so many years the College National Champion was a Beauty Contest and Name Game. I think the Tide benefited from that. Still a great and storied program but it's not "cut and dry" how superior they are.

Just my take.

Bama Football is running at an All-Time high, 2 titles in 3 years. UK did the same in basketball 96-98. While looking at it right now Bama would probably come out ahead if they had been compared then (back in 96-98) UK would have, as Bama football after Stalling wandered lost in the wilderness for several years. But this is like comparing apples and oranges just due to the way championships are determined in the two sports.

FWIW I am a life long Bama Football Fan and a life long UK Basketball fan.

Actually UK has had a few 4 year runs that were great:

1946-54: NIT Champions, NIT Runner-up, 3 NCAA Titles and 1 undefeated season.

1975-1978: NCAA Runner-up, NIT Champ, NCAA Title

1993-1998: NCAA Final Four, NCAA Title, NCAA Runner-up, NCAA Title

How many of Alabama's National Titles were split Chamionships? They don't have split Championships in basketball. Is Alabama the all-time winningest team in football? Kentucky is in basketball. As far a number of National Championships Alabama does have more. However, they have been awarding Championships in football a lot longer than they have in basketball so there has not been as many opportunities for basketball championships.

Some of those alltime wins include games against the powerhouses known as the Lexington YMCA, Louisville Coliseum, Lexington High, Louisville YMHA, Louisville YMCA, Ashland YMCA...just to name a few.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabama_Crimson_Tide_football, the Tide claim 14 National Titles.

But upon closer observation there are issues with some of those claims.

1941 they finished 9-2 but because the Houlgate Poll declared them National Champs, they count it. Funny, the article cites that Texas was listed as a National Champ that year by some obscure group but I don't think the Longhorns claim that one on their official sites.

1964 they were National Champs because the polls didn't wait until after the bowls. They were beaten by Texas and finished with a record of 10-1 while others were undefeated. Notably Arkansas who had nipped the Longhorns in the regular season.

1965 the Tide finished 9-1-1 but were named Champs after the Bowl season. Regular season champs belonged to Michigan State's Green Machine who were upset by 1 point in the Rose Bowl by UCLA (a team they had beaten handily in the regular season). Still the Spartans finished 9-1, a better record than Bama.

1974 the undefeated Tide claim a regular season title but lost in the Sugar Bowl matchup with Notre Dame (also undefeated).

The above are 5 titles that are debatable at best. For so many years the College National Champion was a Beauty Contest and Name Game. I think the Tide benefited from that. Still a great and storied program but it's not "cut and dry" how superior they are.

Just my take.

Is there a 5th or did you mean 4?

You left out the 1966 team that went undefeated and was snubbed of the title...http://www.bamaschedule.com/year/1966

http://www.themissingring.com/home.html

Some of those alltime wins include games against the powerhouses known as the Lexington YMCA, Louisville Coliseum, Lexington High, Louisville YMHA, Louisville YMCA, Ashland YMCA...just to name a few.

And Alabama Football counts wins against Birmingham High School, Birmingham Athletic Club, Tuscaloosa Athletic Club, Montgomery Athletic Club, New Orleans Athletic Club, Pensacola Athletic Club, & 2nd Ambulance Company of Ohio, so what's the difference?

And Alabama Football counts wins against Birmingham High School, Birmingham Athletic Club, Tuscaloosa Athletic Club, Montgomery Athletic Club, New Orleans Athletic Club, Pensacola Athletic Club, & 2nd Ambulance Company of Ohio, so what's the difference?

The difference is we don't claim that as an accomplishment like uk does when it comes to all time wins. We celebrate championships, not longevity.

The difference is we don't claim that as an accomplishment like uk does when it comes to all time wins. We celebrate championships, not longevity.

Well obviously you can't since Michigan and 4 other schools can claim more wins, but don't try to tell me that if Alabama were to top the list that you wouldn't celebrate that accomplishment as well.

Is there a 5th or did you mean 4?

You left out the 1966 team that went undefeated and was snubbed of the title...http://www.bamaschedule.com/year/1966

http://www.themissingring.com/home.html

I forgot to mention 1978. The Tide was 11-1 with their only loss coming to USC. The Trojans were likewise 11-1 and finished the season with a win over Michigan. The title was split with UPI crowning USC and AP tapping Alabama.

Well obviously you can't since Michigan and 4 other schools can claim more wins, but don't try to tell me that if Alabama were to top the list that you wouldn't celebrate that accomplishment as well.

I could say the same thing about UCLA and the championships...which would you rather have wins or championships???