Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky B-Ball Histrory & Bama football history

Featured Replies

  • Author
How do you know what I want to take part in or not?

 

Really Larry, I sometimes think you lose your objectivity when you talk about Alabama football. :rolleyes:

 

 

What do you want me to throw out there?

 

*All time wins leader in Basketball (#2)

 

*2nd All time in NCAA Titles - 7 (1948, 1949, 1951, 1958, 1978, 1996, 1998)

 

*But if we want to use "Polls" Kentucky has finished the season ranked #1 8 times which is the most by any team during the Poll era. (1949, 1951, 1952, 1954, 1966, 1970, 1978, 2003)

 

*If you want to talk about "Team of the Decade" accolades a good case could be made for UK in the 1930's, 40's, 50's and 90's.

 

*12 30-win seasons (#1), 4 35-win seasons (#1), 56 20-win seasons (#1)

 

*48 Conference Titles in 78 seasons (77 for UK since they did not play any games in the '52-'53 season)

 

*Longest non-losing streak of seasons (60) is ranked #1.

 

*#1 in NCAA Tourney appearances, Games played, and Games won.

 

*53 All Americans chosen 83 times which are both ranked #1 in achievements

 

*Helms Foundation awarded National Titles to UK for the '33 and '54 season. While I don't count those IMO, UNC counts theirs officially from 1924. (So in other words, if UK counted those, they would have 9 titles)

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_Wildcats_men%27s_basketball

 

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/statistics.html#TeamRankings

 

 

Do we need to keep going? I don't mind debate Larry, don't mind it at all.

:thumb:

 

BTW: Here's the comment on the Steely Dan Song.

 

The song, while contrasting winning and losing in life, does so by taking as an image the contrast between the perennial powerhouse, Crimson Tide football team, and the Wake Forest Demon Deacons. In the five years before the song was written, the Crimson Tide had lost only 8 games total, while Wake Forest had a losing record every season. Group member Donald Fagen said, "Walter (Becker) and I had been working on that song at a house in Malibu. I played him that line, and he said, 'You mean it's like, they call these cracker assholes this grandiose name like the Crimson Tide, and I'm this loser, so they call me this other grandiose name, Deacon Blues?' And I said, 'Yeah!' He said, 'Cool! Let's finish it!'"

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deacon_Blues

Song is still there. There is a name for the winners in the world, and there is a name when they lose, They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues. I'm singing this out loud by the way. Love these guys.
  • Replies 139
  • Views 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

We played against Auburn/Gators/LSU/Vols/ year in and out and they have won Titles, Kentucky was the real deal during this time and I believe the Gators have won a NCAA. At one time assistant football coaches in the 50s/60s helped the basketball teams. Now whos fault is that? The Cats had a great coach and he won a lot of games and some NCAAs, but we all know the level was weak, again not UKs fault just the way it was. Pistol never beat UK.

 

Football was a little different. Heisman trophy won by Darth Visor/Pat Sullivan/Bo Jackson/Herschel Walker. Others in both sports have won a NCAA Hogs/ Heisman George Rogers but they were not in the SEC at the time.

 

Its nice to post facts in a debate and not bash each other...Newt/Mitt.

 

Someone said its hard to cross sports and I believe they might be right. Disreguard all my comments. Gonna watch the Bachelor. I promised Mama.

And Larry, you may want to actually go back and reread this thread. No one took any shots at Alabama until one of your fellow Bama worshipers took at shot at UK basketball. Seems like your fellow Bama fans had no desire to actually debate it either, just take shots at UK. :idunno:

 

:ohbrother: Really...reread the thread yourself. Post #4 looks like Hatz is taking a shot at the validity of Bama's championships.

How do you know what I want to take part in or not?

 

Really Larry, I sometimes think you lose your objectivity when you talk about Alabama football. :rolleyes:

 

 

What do you want me to throw out there?

 

*All time wins leader in Basketball (#2)

 

*2nd All time in NCAA Titles - 7 (1948, 1949, 1951, 1958, 1978, 1996, 1998)

 

*But if we want to use "Polls" Kentucky has finished the season ranked #1 8 times which is the most by any team during the Poll era. (1949, 1951, 1952, 1954, 1966, 1970, 1978, 2003)

 

*If you want to talk about "Team of the Decade" accolades a good case could be made for UK in the 1930's, 40's, 50's and 90's.

 

*12 30-win seasons (#1), 4 35-win seasons (#1), 56 20-win seasons (#1)

 

*48 Conference Titles in 78 seasons (77 for UK since they did not play any games in the '52-'53 season)

 

*Longest non-losing streak of seasons (60) is ranked #1.

 

*#1 in NCAA Tourney appearances, Games played, and Games won.

 

*53 All Americans chosen 83 times which are both ranked #1 in achievements

 

*Helms Foundation awarded National Titles to UK for the '33 and '54 season. While I don't count those IMO, UNC counts theirs officially from 1924. (So in other words, if UK counted those, they would have 9 titles)

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_Wildcats_men%27s_basketball

 

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/statistics.html#TeamRankings

 

 

Do we need to keep going? I don't mind debate Larry, don't mind it at all.

:thumb:

 

Seems like I heard somewhere UK was #1 in all-time wins......don't know just sayin...:lol:

We played against Auburn/Gators/LSU/Vols/ year in and out and they have won Titles, Kentucky was the real deal during this time and I believe the Gators have won a NCAA. At one time assistant football coaches in the 50s/60s helped the basketball teams. Now whos fault is that? The Cats had a great coach and he won a lot of games and some NCAAs, but we all know the level was weak, again not UKs fault just the way it was. Pistol never beat UK.

 

Football was a little different. Heisman trophy won by Darth Visor/Pat Sullivan/Bo Jackson/Herschel Walker. Others in both sports have won a NCAA Hogs/ Heisman George Rogers but they were not in the SEC at the time.

 

Its nice to post facts in a debate and not bash each other...Newt/Mitt.

 

Someone said its hard to cross sports and I believe they might be right. Disreguard all my comments. Gonna watch the Bachelor. I promised Mama.

 

So UK basketball isn't great because the SEC hasn't traditionally been as strong in basketball? You're forgetting that you play a far larger number of OOC games in basketball, and there's that pesky thing called the TOURNAMENT where you have to play the best teams in the country to be called the champion. Horrible argument.

Bama Football :notworthy:

 

Kentucky Basketball :notworthy:

 

nuff said!

You know the only thing dumber than comparing teams in the same sport from different decades? Comparing entire sports programs from different schools in two different sports. Apples to oranges. They're both very good programs. Both sides should give it a rest. Sheesh.

  • Author
All time greatest Packer, not NFL player ever. I watched the NFL Network's show a couple months ago. Hutson was a beast though.
I saw it last week it was Hutson.
  • Author
So UK basketball isn't great because the SEC hasn't traditionally been as strong in basketball? You're forgetting that you play a far larger number of OOC games in basketball, and there's that pesky thing called the TOURNAMENT where you have to play the best teams in the country to be called the champion. Horrible argument.
So you are saying basketball teams were pretty good back in the 60s/70s in the SEC compared to the teams in Football? Kentucky had very little competition and it wasn't their fauly. Football even though we dominated was more equal. Basketball coaches were football coaches so they could add to their income.
  • Author
You know the only thing dumber than comparing teams in the same sport from different decades? Comparing entire sports programs from different schools in two different sports. Apples to oranges. They're both very good programs. Both sides should give it a rest. Sheesh.
Ignore the thread, thats what I do a lot. Just don't go there and go somewhere else.
All time greatest Packer, not NFL player ever. I watched the NFL Network's show a couple months ago. Hutson was a beast though.

 

I saw it last week it was Hutson.

 

If we are talking about the list complied by the NFL Network, than the complete list can be found at this link.

 

http://top100.nfl.com/all-time-100

Ignore the thread, thats what I do a lot. Just don't go there and go somewhere else.

 

I have enjoyed reading the thread. I'm just saying that there is legitimately no way to get any semblance of a consensus on the topic. UK fans consider UK the "mecca" of all college hoops, while Alabama fans consider their school all that is holy in the collegiate gridiron. You had to start the thread knowing that you'd just rile up UK fans into an argument that they can't win. It's an argument you can't win either, though. That's all I'm saying.

So you are saying basketball teams were pretty good back in the 60s/70s in the SEC compared to the teams in Football? Kentucky had very little competition and it wasn't their fauly. Football even though we dominated was more equal. Basketball coaches were football coaches so they could add to their income.

 

I'm saying the strength of the SEC in basketball is completely irrelevant. Basketball teams play a much higher number of OOC games, and Kentucky typically plays good teams (for example: Louisville, Indiana, Kansas, UNC). Even if they didn't play a tough OOC schedule, they have to play in a TOURNAMENT!!!!! So no matter who they play during the regular season, they're playing several tough games in order to win a championship.

 

Saying the path the an NCAA football title (the vast majority of which have simply been voted on) is more difficult than winning an NCAA basketball title is idiotic.

 

Bama is a great football program. Kentucky is a great basketball program. Quit downplaying UK's success to make yourself feel better. It hasn't even been a month since you wont the BCS title, and all you can think to do is trash another program? Talk about an inferiority complex. Geez.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.