Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky B-Ball Histrory & Bama football history

Featured Replies

  • Author
Thanks. I knew I was correct about both.
I know what I saw and I was surprised at the POll, these things are taped in different years, I would have picked Jim Brown no contest or Dick Butkus, but if you say you were correct what do you say about my statement on Don Hutson as #1 on the show I saw? That I lied to make Alabama player #1? I hope not.
  • Replies 139
  • Views 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
No one is calling you a liar. Most likely you misunderstood or misheard what they were saying on the show. Happens to all of us from time to time. Except for me (I'm perfect don't ya know. :D)
No, not at all, I'm not stupid I talk slow. I was surprised at the POll, I wouldn't have put Hutson in the top 10. Defenses back then probaby didn't even have a coach. But, not you or anyone tell me I didn't see what I saw on the show. Maybe it wasn't a NFL show, ESPN/FOX.. I will say that but Hutson was #1. I can't remember the top 10 but I disagreed with several. No big deal. lets move on to something else.
  • Author
Pointing out that some of Bama's titles are split titles isn't bashing Larry. It's a fact. Anything that isn't praise for the Tide is bashing in your mind. It's impossible to have a logical debate with someone when they're as biased as you are with Bama football. Any time anyone says anything that isn't a positive about Bama you start the whole "you're bashing Bama" angle. You ask for facts, provide zero support or backup for your "facts", and then dismiss the backup others post as support for their arguments.

 

Sorry Larry, but that's not the actions of someone looking for a debate, it's what someone who wants reaffirmation that their opinions are right does.

Not sure how to respond but again a poster on the Bama/South Carolina game mentioned the two being equal and I got to thinking we have done real well in the past and its been a while for the Cats to even go to a Final Four so thats how it began. Not many mentioned UK, but wanted to dig up dirt on Joe. Thats not a bash? Do I need "Reaffitmation" after winning a Title twice in three years? Nope I need your credit card to help Mama buy me stuff for me and the boys. :banana:
Not sure how to respond but again a poster on the Bama/South Carolina game mentioned the two being equal and I got to thinking we have done real well in the past and its been a while for the Cats to even go to a Final Four so thats how it began. Not many mentioned UK, but wanted to dig up dirt on Joe. Thats not a bash? Do I need "Reaffitmation" after winning a Title twice in three years? Nope I need your credit card to help Mama buy me stuff for me and the boys. :banana:

 

Were you, a Bama fan, not the one to bring him up? And he's a drunk. That's a fact. He's a public figure. People are allowed to have opinions on public figures Larry. Even if you don't like it.

No, not at all, I'm not stupid I talk slow. I was surprised at the POll, I wouldn't have put Hutson in the top 10. Defenses back then probaby didn't even have a coach. But, not you or anyone tell me I didn't see what I saw on the show. Maybe it wasn't a NFL show, ESPN/FOX.. I will say that but Hutson was #1. I can't remember the top 10 but I disagreed with several. No big deal. lets move on to something else.
AL, I am not going to let you get away saying I am calling you a "liar" then soon later say "maybe it wasn't a NFL (network) show, ESPN/FOX...." I literally just watched it last week and the Green Bay one over Christmas. That was the only reason I knew. As I said - but you apparently missed - there are many lists, some of which may say Hutson is the best player ever. I am not doubting that. Though you are going to be hard pressed to find a list without Rice listed as the #1 receiver ever. Hutson was a beast. Have to consider his era. I think he is easily in the top 10, but that is for another thread.

In short I think you are going to be hard pressed to find a better program than Alabama through football history. You are going to be hard pressed to find a better program than Kentucky through basketball history. Each make a strong case as the best for their respective sports. Both have taken hiatuses for decade plus long stretches, but they always seem to find their way back towards the top. That is the mark of a great program.

  • Author

Very nice post, I hope UK wins back to back. I watch almost every game they play. Hope we all can move on. I even listened to Cawood with the sound down on the TV back in the early 70s. Did it by accident didn't know the game was on TV and I used the radio a lot and it was neat. I remember Joe Dean and John Ferguson doing the weekly saturday afternoon SEC game of the week. Both were LSU guys. Also use to listen to Coach Rupp and Cawood after the game. Cawood was so respectful to Coach Rupp.

I think the two programs are very comparable. I would echo what bugatti said already.

 

You're talking about two schools that can make strong arguments as the all-time best program in their respective sports. And, you're talking about two rabid fan bases that eat, sleep and breathe their teams specific to that sport. Where they play bears the name of their legendary coaches who laid the foundation for what they have become, and two guys who are two of the best coaches ever.

Pointing out that some of Bama's titles are split titles isn't bashing Larry. It's a fact.

 

Just like saying UK counts wins against the local YMCA is a fact.

Just like saying UK counts wins against the local YMCA is a fact.

 

Bama claims wins vs Birmingham High School, Birmingham Athletic Club, Tuscaloosa Athletic Club, Montgomery Athletic Club, Taylor School, etc. You guys are way off in left field. Not sure why you had to turn this into a hate thing.

Bama claims wins vs Birmingham High School, Birmingham Athletic Club, Tuscaloosa Athletic Club, Montgomery Athletic Club, Taylor School, etc. You guys are way off in left field. Not sure why you had to turn this into a hate thing.

 

Just stating facts that the whole uk2k included the ymca.

Just stating facts that the whole uk2k included the ymca.

 

Yeah, and they also included wins against those weak teams from Alabama. Auburn and Alabama. :lol::lol:

Just stating facts that the whole uk2k included the ymca.

 

And most of Bama's titles were a popularity contest where UK actually won theirs. Fact. :rolleyes:

Because some of them are a problem and yet the University counts them. Pull up each year I spoke about and then counter the argument. That's how debates are conducted. You take it as a slam, but it's worth noting.

 

Well until the 1970's bowl games were considered "exhibition games" and not part of the season. That is why the AP and other polls voted on the champion before the bowls games and that covers all of the titles you questioned.

 

In fact, notre dame (another school with a lot of tradition) didn't even play in bowl games until the 70's (except for the 1925 rose bowl). Yet they claim championships before the 70's and are recognized by espn as well as sports fans.

7 are within that time frame...since they didn't compete in the post season should they have only 4 national championships instead of the 11 they claim?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.