January 30, 201214 yr And I disagreed with the "On Par" and wanted to debate that part, and I said if they can win a couple of NCs the "on par" would certainly fit. But no one decided to use UK much, but chose to bash Bama and what they have done. I didn't even read Hatzs stuff. Doesn't matter. Not much a debate when I have to debate both ends. The History of UK with the long history of Coach Rupp, and his coaching styles, The way he chose to not want to give up the job, racial overtones which were false/ Cawood Ledford,/ Coming back from the "Shame of Kentucky" and the Unforgetables/The Duke game/ beating the Orange men with Rick beating Boehm who gave him his first job while Rick and Joanne were on their Honeymoon/ Tubby as a first year coach/ A first time Black head coach. But no one wanted to play. The bolded says it all. You didn't actually want a debate, you just wanted everyone to stroke the Bama ego, and agree with you. Hatz brought up some legit points to further an actual debate, and you ignore it. Poves you weren't actually looking for anything more than reassurance of your opinion.
January 30, 201214 yr The bolded says it all. You didn't actually want a debate, you just wanted everyone to stroke the Bama ego, and agree with you. Hatz brought up some legit points to further an actual debate, and you ignore it. Poves you weren't actually looking for anything more than reassurance of your opinion. Exactly, which reinforces my penis envy comment. He has an inferiority complex, and he wants everyone to reassure him that Bama football is greater than UK basketball. He'll never admit it, but it's very obvious.
January 30, 201214 yr Author The bolded says it all. You didn't actually want a debate, you just wanted everyone to stroke the Bama ego, and agree with you. Hatz brought up some legit points to further an actual debate, and you ignore it. Poves you weren't actually looking for anything more than reassurance of your opinion.Yep, that right, you got me thats what I wanted. Hatz wanted no part of defending Kentucky, just went to Goggle and found some 1930s info on some teams who have never done anything in the past 50 years. You gonna defend the Cats being On par with us or just do you normal mind reading on posters? Bama strokes in the numbers, which can't lie. Oh, this was gonna shut down but I maybe keep going. I guess I'll talk about the Bear for the next few days and also throw in some Wallace Wade.
January 30, 201214 yr Author Exactly, which reinforces my penis envy comment. He has an inferiority complex, and he wants everyone to reassure him that Bama football is greater than UK basketball. He'll never admit it, but it's very obvious.Man, thanks for the expert analysis. So you agree that UK basketball is on Par/equal with Bama football? Can you give some facts to back up your debate or you gonna talk about your love for a certain word. Or how about some PMs, I don't want to bore the many folks on here with this envy I have for...
January 30, 201214 yr Author I found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_FBS_National_Football_Championship Seems that Princeton claims 28 National Titles and Yale claims 26. College Football Data Warehouse lists: Princeton with 26, Yale with 18, Alabama with 13, Notre Dame with 13, and Michigan with 11. Same site. In the modern poll era, Alabama has 9 National Championships (1936 to present). Notre Dame has 8, while USC and Oklahoma have 7 each. We have now 14.
January 30, 201214 yr Yep, that right, you got me thats what I wanted. Hatz wanted no part of defending Kentucky, just went to Goggle and found some 1930s info on some teams who have never done anything in the past 50 years. You gonna defend the Cats being On par with us or just do you normal mind reading on posters? Bama strokes in the numbers, which can't lie. Oh, this was gonna shut down but I maybe keep going. I guess I'll talk about the Bear for the next few days and also throw in some Wallace Wade. I'm not going to defend anything, because it's a meaningless topic. I really don't care about how a football program compares to a basketball program. That's just dumb IMO. You can't compare across sports.
January 30, 201214 yr Man, thanks for the expert analysis. So you agree that UK basketball is on Par/equal with Bama football? Can you give some facts to back up your debate or you gonna talk about your love for a certain word. Or how about some PMs, I don't want to bore the many folks on here with this envy I have for... No problem. I won't even charge you my regular rate. It doesn't matter what I think. When I have an opinion on something I don't need to seek reassurance from everyone else.
January 30, 201214 yr And Larry, you may want to actually go back and reread this thread. No one took any shots at Alabama until one of your fellow Bama worshipers took at shot at UK basketball. Seems like your fellow Bama fans had no desire to actually debate it either, just take shots at UK. :idunno:
January 30, 201214 yr Author Ok. Stupid thread that I brought over when I disagreed. I also disagree with my wife from times to times and I still love her as I do you people. Just think UK needs to win some more NCs to be equal with us in the tradition. I live in kentucky, if I lived in Alabama nothing would have been said. Anybody have any sons named after Coach Rupp? I have two after the Bear. And I'm done. I'll only do feed back with the debate in mind, and I can't speak for fellow Bama posters. Time for my Bible show debate. 1240 AM in Louisville
January 30, 201214 yr We have now 14. You obviously didn't read the article. The article cited 13 that College Football Warehouse validated, not 14. How can you debate what you don't read my friend? As to Don Hutson, I wonder where he was proclaimed the All time #1 NFL player and by whom.
January 30, 201214 yr Yep, that right, you got me thats what I wanted. Hatz wanted no part of defending Kentucky, just went to Goggle and found some 1930s info on some teams who have never done anything in the past 50 years. You gonna defend the Cats being On par with us or just do you normal mind reading on posters? Bama strokes in the numbers, which can't lie. Oh, this was gonna shut down but I maybe keep going. I guess I'll talk about the Bear for the next few days and also throw in some Wallace Wade. How do you know what I want to take part in or not? Really Larry, I sometimes think you lose your objectivity when you talk about Alabama football. What do you want me to throw out there? *All time wins leader in Basketball (#2) *2nd All time in NCAA Titles - 7 (1948, 1949, 1951, 1958, 1978, 1996, 1998) *But if we want to use "Polls" Kentucky has finished the season ranked #1 8 times which is the most by any team during the Poll era. (1949, 1951, 1952, 1954, 1966, 1970, 1978, 2003) *If you want to talk about "Team of the Decade" accolades a good case could be made for UK in the 1930's, 40's, 50's and 90's. *12 30-win seasons (#1), 4 35-win seasons (#1), 56 20-win seasons (#1) *48 Conference Titles in 78 seasons (77 for UK since they did not play any games in the '52-'53 season) *Longest non-losing streak of seasons (60) is ranked #1. *#1 in NCAA Tourney appearances, Games played, and Games won. *53 All Americans chosen 83 times which are both ranked #1 in achievements *Helms Foundation awarded National Titles to UK for the '33 and '54 season. While I don't count those IMO, UNC counts theirs officially from 1924. (So in other words, if UK counted those, they would have 9 titles) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_Wildcats_men%27s_basketball http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/statistics.html#TeamRankings Do we need to keep going? I don't mind debate Larry, don't mind it at all. :thumb: BTW: Here's the comment on the Steely Dan Song. The song, while contrasting winning and losing in life, does so by taking as an image the contrast between the perennial powerhouse, Crimson Tide football team, and the Wake Forest Demon Deacons. In the five years before the song was written, the Crimson Tide had lost only 8 games total, while Wake Forest had a losing record every season. Group member Donald Fagen said, "Walter (Becker) and I had been working on that song at a house in Malibu. I played him that line, and he said, 'You mean it's like, they call these cracker assholes this grandiose name like the Crimson Tide, and I'm this loser, so they call me this other grandiose name, Deacon Blues?' And I said, 'Yeah!' He said, 'Cool! Let's finish it!'" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deacon_Blues
January 31, 201214 yr According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabama_Crimson_Tide_football, the Tide claim 14 National Titles. But upon closer observation there are issues with some of those claims. 1941 they finished 9-2 but because the Houlgate Poll declared them National Champs, they count it. Funny, the article cites that Texas was listed as a National Champ that year by some obscure group but I don't think the Longhorns claim that one on their official sites. 1964 they were National Champs because the polls didn't wait until after the bowls. They were beaten by Texas and finished with a record of 10-1 while others were undefeated. Notably Arkansas who had nipped the Longhorns in the regular season. 1965 the Tide finished 9-1-1 but were named Champs after the Bowl season. Regular season champs belonged to Michigan State's Green Machine who were upset by 1 point in the Rose Bowl by UCLA (a team they had beaten handily in the regular season). Still the Spartans finished 9-1, a better record than Bama. 1974 the undefeated Tide claim a regular season title but lost in the Sugar Bowl matchup with Notre Dame (also undefeated). The above are 5 titles that are debatable at best. For so many years the College National Champion was a Beauty Contest and Name Game. I think the Tide benefited from that. Still a great and storied program but it's not "cut and dry" how superior they are. Just my take. I think this post says it all. I just don't have much confidence in a national championship decided by polls. In 1966 both Michigan State and Notre Dame finished the season undefeated with one tie. The tie was a 10-10 game between the Spartans and the Irish. But when it came to deciding the national champions the polls chose Notre Dame. Didn't matter that they had an identical record with Michigan State and had failed to defeat them in their season game. The Irish had more political clout, more name recognition. And Alabama probably was the one who got hosed that year---they were undefeated. Penn State was undefeated a couple of times as well and were not voted number 1. Alabama shouldn't have a national championship in 1964 if they lost their bowl game, but that's how it was done back then. Using the same guidelines, UK would have won the 2003 basketball championship since they were rated number 1 after the regular season was completed.
January 31, 201214 yr Author You obviously didn't read the article. The article cited 13 that College Football Warehouse validated, not 14. How can you debate what you don't read my friend? As to Don Hutson, I wonder where he was proclaimed the All time #1 NFL player and by whom. We have 14 by the NCAA, don't tell me 13 we won a few weeks ago 13+1 =14. NFL sources/Network, and most other experts, not me I'd said Dick Butkus. I only watched the show. You need to research Don Hutson my Brother.
January 31, 201214 yr Author I think this post says it all. I just don't have much confidence in a national championship decided by polls. In 1966 both Michigan State and Notre Dame finished the season undefeated with one tie. The tie was a 10-10 game between the Spartans and the Irish. But when it came to deciding the national champions the polls chose Notre Dame. Didn't matter that they had an identical record with Michigan State and had failed to defeat them in their season game. The Irish had more political clout, more name recognition. And Alabama probably was the one who got hosed that year---they were undefeated. Penn State was undefeated a couple of times as well and were not voted number 1. Alabama shouldn't have a national championship in 1964 if they lost their bowl game, but that's how it was done back then. Using the same guidelines, UK would have won the 2003 basketball championship since they were rated number 1 after the regular season was completed. They have written a book about the 1966 season, called "The Missing Ring". 1973 bothers me we were voted NCs before the Sugar Bowl and lost to Norte Dame 24-23 and I think we should not count that one, but what can I do, so I just count it.
January 31, 201214 yr All time greatest Packer, not NFL player ever. I watched the NFL Network's show a couple months ago. Hutson was a beast though.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.