NL MVP Ryan Braun tests positive for PEDs

Hangman

Cooperstown,

Maybe I should be worried? Are random people gonna start slipping me PED's or does that only happen to professional athletes?

Not sure. Certainly seems to happen with some frequency to professional athletes. Oddly enough, oftentimes seems to happen to athletes who are some of the better performers in their sport. Probably coincidence.....

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't see the differences between the foolish suggestions in this post and allowing PED's then I can't help you...

They all make a mockery of the game. No difference. If you can't see that I can't help you.

Maybe he was sabotaged. Sometime during the playoffs a jealous rival or old girlfriend slipped him a mickey in his drink.

By golly you've solved it Professor. Prince was jealous of the Brewers making him their marquee player, and he slipped him the PED's.

They all make a mockery of the game. No difference. If you can't see that I can't help you.

Okay....so allowing players to use recreational drugs is fine(though against the law) but having rules against PEDs(not all are against the law) is fine. Makes no sense to me that a player can lose 50 games and then 100 games for substances that can be bought at GNC. As Rocket pointed out.

Not to mention that if everyone is juicing then it becomes a level playing field. Juiced up pitchers and hitters make it equal. When done responsibly and with supervision I see no problems whatsoever with PEDs. You say making a mockery I say making it more exciting. PEDs have been used in some shape form or fashion since they were discovered. Even Hank Aaron and Willie Mays used greenies.

I have always been of the opinion that most or all players have juiced at some point. And it doesn't bother me one bit.

Okay....so allowing players to use recreational drugs is fine(though against the law) but having rules against PEDs(not all are against the law) is fine. Makes no sense to me that a player can lose 50 games and then 100 games for substances that can be bought at GNC. As Rocket pointed out.

Not to mention that if everyone is juicing then it becomes a level playing field. Juiced up pitchers and hitters make it equal. When done responsibly and with supervision I see no problems whatsoever with PEDs. You say making a mockery I say making it more exciting. PEDs have been used in some shape form or fashion since they were discovered. Even Hank Aaron and Willie Mays used greenies.

I have always been of the opinion that most or all players have juiced at some point. And it doesn't bother me one bit.

Your logic that everyone is juicing is flawed, and just because it doesn't bother you doesn't mean it doesn't make a mockery of the game. As far as not testing for drugs such as marijuana, I agree it's stupid if that is true.

How exactly does it make a mockery of the game?

Baseball, moreso than any other professional sport, has always placed a tremendous degree of importance on statistics. It helps define and retell the history of the game. The accomplishments of many of the greatest players of the game become lessened when their stats are overshadowed by guys whose artificially-inflated stats were created through chemical enhancement.

Baseball, moreso than any other professional sport, has always placed a tremendous degree of importance on statistics. It helps define and retell the history of the game. The accomplishments of many of the greatest players of the game become lessened when their stats are overshadowed by guys whose artificially-inflated stats were created through chemical enhancement.

I agree with you in principle, but I don't think it's a black and white issue. Do things like protein, creatine, caffeine (or other workout stimulants), or even things like gatorade count as chemical enhancements? Players are a lot bigger, stronger, faster than they've ever been, mainly because the science and knowledge behind working out has advanced or become more widespread, where do we draw the line?

For the record I have no sympathy for Braun or Bonds or anybody. It's clearly against the rules and they're still doing it to get an edge.

I agree with you in principle, but I don't think it's a black and white issue. Do things like protein, creatine, caffeine (or other workout stimulants), or even things like gatorade count as chemical enhancements? Players are a lot bigger, stronger, faster than they've ever been, mainly because the science and knowledge behind working out has advanced or become more widespread, where do we draw the line?

For the record I have no sympathy for Braun or Bonds or anybody. It's clearly against the rules and they're still doing it to get an edge.

I don't have any problem with anyone "getting an edge." Just do it legally and within the rules of the game. Steroids without a prescription are illegal. Certain supplements, although legal, have been deemed impermissible by baseball (and other sports). If you are going to play in the league, you have a responsibilty to know the rules and to abide by them. If you don't, you're cheating. If you cheat, you harm the game. To me, at least, it's that simple.

And I am absolutely tired to no end of these guys that "accidentally" or "inadvertently" or "unknowingly" took something they shouldn't have. For Cripe's sake, man up and just admit you knowingly took something you shouldn't have and accept the consequences. This "Rafael Pameiro" attitude is so tiresome......

Your logic that everyone is juicing is flawed, and just because it doesn't bother you doesn't mean it doesn't make a mockery of the game. As far as not testing for drugs such as marijuana, I agree it's stupid if that is true.
And because you think it makes a mockery of the game doesn't make it so.

I may have had a few too many on Saturday night when I flipped on ESPN as I was falling asleep and saw the news and I was a little upset by it. Not because I'm a Brewers fan by any means, but I had a lot of respect for Braun, now I don't. I think they should take away his MVP award as well.

If they let Pete in the HOF (before his death) then I'm okay with them making PED's. Until then, I lose respect for everyone who gets caught using them.