Indiana state finals ... sound familiar?

westsider

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what it looks like. Same as ours. Last year, didn't only 2 private schools win, yet 5 of 6 were blow outs? Public private isn't the issue in KY. It is urban v rural and where schools place their competitive emphasis. What happened in Indiana could not happen in KY due to the limited number of privates and their classifications.

Now, if the main point of this thread is to show how terrible state champ games are, then ky needs to go back to 4 classes or cut it to 5 to add some flavor to the watered down competition

While we have fewer private schools playing for the title, I still believe that the average point margin between all six title games will be very similar to Indiana's title games. I'm hoping not, but I don't have much reason to think that there will be a significant difference.

While we have fewer private schools playing for the title, I still believe that the average point margin between all six title games will be very similar to Indiana's title games. I'm hoping not, but I don't have much reason to think that there will be a significant difference.

I don't know much below 4A but I am almost certain 4A-6A will be blowouts.

I would like to see 4 classes of football with Class 1 thru 3 based on enrollment and classes 1 & 2 schools may elect to play up. Class 4 would be based on the programs success and you have to earn your way into this class. In the same right when a class 3 team reaches the top by deminstating its ablilty it can move up and replace a team that has not been successful in class 4. This type of play should insure some good play off games and make it fun to watch and play.

I was at the Indiana State finals on saturday for the 3A and 4A games. Yes it was the same old story. I do not want to call the Indiana schools just private, but parochial schools. This has long been a problem in Indiana football. I coached there from the early 90's until 2007. At one time the parochial schools were forced to play up a class, then that went away. I know that the Indiana football coaches association has an upcoming vote to require all state champions to play up a class the following year except obviously the 5A class. Will be interesting to see if it passes!

It is no surprise private schools do well, they can recruit and if a parent cares enough about their kids to send them to a private school 9 times out of ten they are going to be parents who make sure their kid attends practice and listens to the coach...supportive parents are the key to a programs success, private schools just do not have to deal with some of the challenges public school coaches do, generally...

westsider, what do you propose to "fix" IN football?
I don't know Indiana well enough to make that proposal. They have something like 60 teams per class, so I don't see that as an issue, being that it isn't nearly as watered down as Kentucky's six-class format.

A multiplier on private schools would be in order, similar to what is done in some other states.

I was primarily talking about the margin of victory in the five games, which is similar to what happened in Kentucky last year.

Interesting. I hadn't even thought about that because personally I don't think it is that big a deal. Covington Holy Cross and Trinity are the only private finalists. Taking it a step further, only 3 out of the 24 state semifinalists were private schools. We better be careful or the private schools might start complaining in Kentucky.
Two out of 12 is 16.7 percent. Three out of 24 is 12.5 percent.

Private schools make up about 6 percent of the football programs in this state.

Of course, if Trinity and St. Xavier weren't in the same district, the number might have been upped a bit.

Indiana is considering a points system for the entire athletic program of a school. You earn points for each level of success you have (district/region/semi-state/state). Once you reach a certain number of points over a 2-year period you get moved up a class. Of course that doesn't help the 5A class.

So if a state adopts this and a team wins state in the "lowest/worst" class, what exactly have they won?

Two out of 12 is 16.7 percent. Three out of 24 is 12.5 percent.

Private schools make up about 6 percent of the football programs in this state.

Of course, if Trinity and St. Xavier weren't in the same district, the number might have been upped a bit.

What private program has beaten yours? Funny how Mayfield, Bowling Green, Highlands, and Beechwood fans, or Boyle Co ever complain about this. I'm a fan of NewCath. Want to know why they have had so much success? Look at their roster and see how many 3rd generation players there are. Go to a parochial league basketball game or tournament and see how many different families volunteer. They then take that same effort to NewCath and lend their support. May e you do for your alma mater, but chances are other parents at that school aren't. I know schools around here where support starts and stops when kids leave. It isn't ingrained from the grade school level up. I hate the stupidity of the private-public debate. Not calling you stupid, you are very intelligent judging fro.your posts. I only want to break this crutch that too many schools use.