Indiana state finals ... sound familiar?

westsider

What private program has beaten yours? Funny how Mayfield, Bowling Green, Highlands, and Beechwood fans, or Boyle Co ever complain about this. I'm a fan of NewCath. Want to know why they have had so much success? Look at their roster and see how many 3rd generation players there are. Go to a parochial league basketball game or tournament and see how many different families volunteer. They then take that same effort to NewCath and lend their support. May e you do for your alma mater, but chances are other parents at that school aren't. I know schools around here where support starts and stops when kids leave. It isn't ingrained from the grade school level up. I hate the stupidity of the private-public debate. Not calling you stupid, you are very intelligent judging fro.your posts. I only want to break this crutch that too many schools use.
I'm not complaining. I'm simply stating facts.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To promote discussion ... isn't that what we do here?

Well, then don't get offended if the discussion includes speculation about your motives. You never clearly stated what it was that you felt was worth discussing with reference to your facts. It would be helpful if you don't want to be accused of motives you didn't intend.

Well, then don't get offended if the discussion includes speculation about your motives. You never clearly stated what it was that you felt was worth discussing with reference to your facts. It would be helpful if you don't want to be accused of motives you didn't intend.
Then again, what is wrong with reading the post without ascribing motives to the poster?

Well, there's certainly nothing to discuss if that's the case. Just a recitation of some facts. B.O.R.I.N.G. :p
I realize that your perception is that I'm against private schools. That is completely erroneous. I was against the private-public split, and I think the split in Tennessee hasn't been good for that state, either.

However, I think it's apparent that some private schools have some competitive advantages, as evidence by the number of state titles won in various sports in relation to the percentage of private schools in the state. I should be able to feel that way without having it characterized as an anti-private school attitude.

What's the ratio of privates to basketball championships or baseball? Why is football the only sport where this advantage manifests?
Private schools have dominated several other sports, too, in recent years ... golf, tennis and volleyball, primarily.

Football is the most numbers-intensive of the team sports, which may explain part of it.

To promote discussion ... isn't that what we do here?

My primary point was the margins of victory were very similar to what happened in Kentucky last year.

If by primary you mean "first" then yes, that was your "first" point. You then followed it up with these points:

Four of the five state champions were private schools,.

and the lower three classes each had two private schools playing each other..

Seven of the 10 teams in the finals were private schools

The games were more competitive in 2010, but otherwise it was much the same story ... two all-private championship games,

four private-school champions and.

six of the 10 teams were private schools..

You don't have to be William Strunk to ascertain your "point(s)" in the post.

Private schools have dominated several other sports, too, in recent years ... golf, tennis and volleyball, primarily.

Football is the most numbers-intensive of the team sports, which may explain part of it.

Here's my $.02 on this. First, golf and tennis are sports dominated by wealthy kids. It costs a lot of money to get better at golf and for tennis lessons. That is a socio economic issue. A lot of wealthy people in Louisville send their children to St. X or Trinity. They are also the people w/ the disposable income to pay for golf and tennis lessons. You can throw swimming in there as well. Up here, Highlands and Beechwood are located in pretty nice cities. Their tennis and swimming teams are generally very good.

Now for football being numbers intensive...I think that its more community intensive. It costs a lot of money to send your children to private schools. It costs a lot of money to live in Ft. Thomas. I work hard to make sure that my children have access to one of the best school districts in the state. They do not go to private schools, but I did. My parents worked even harder than me so that my brothers and I could get a Catholic education. To them, that was the most important thing. Guess what happens when your parents work hard to put you in a position to succeed? They demand success from you. My parents were tough, and I'm tough on my boys. I couldn't care less about how many touchdowns they score, or goals, or points or whatever. I care that they get their reading grades up, b/c that happens to be their weak point. I am involved in their school and in the FTJFL because I want to make sure that I've done my part to leave their corner of the world better than when they found it. I dedicate a lot my time to help the youth football in the area b/c that's what my boys like to play. I'm one of 100s of parents in Fort Thomas that do the same thing. You should see how many parents sit through every single practice. Those are the same parents that also make sure that the homework is done properly. All of this together teaches accountability and discipline. That's what you get at Highlands or NewCath (the programs that I have knowledge of).

Watch the sidelines of any successful program and you will see that there is a hierarchy of discipline and it starts w/ the head man down. There is very little, if any, screaming b/n coaches, and players sure aren't talking back b/c they will sit. This starts at home and is supported in the community. This isn't unique to NewCath, or Ft. Thomas, it is just the community that I am a part of. This same theme can be found in Mayfield and Danville and Louisville. Really anywhere that you find a stellar program in any sport. When you combine that discipline and pride w/ an EMPHASIS on football, you will reap the benefits. Look at Trinity and Mayfield at basketball. Have they really had much success??? St. X? No, b/c the emphasis of their sports program when it comes to the big 3 is football and they take great pride in it.

Could not agree more. To many people looking to blame not accept responsibilty. If you want something go out and get it. Isn't that the american way? I never won a title in any league in my years as a prep player from 1st thru 12th grades. I don't blame anyone, it is what it is. Not everyone is meant to win.