Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Educate me about Private Schools

Featured Replies

I don't pretend to know alot about the Private school thing. And actually, it does not affect me in eastern Ky as much, but I would like to know a few things.

 

1) What are the limitations on enrollment? Can a kid from anywhere attend? I think I heard ST X and Trinity had kids from 14 different counties.

 

2) Private schools have Tuition. I think I heard St X is like $10,000. Are there scholarships? Academic or athletic? If So, how many? What are those limitations?

 

3) I've heard there are 15 Private Schools. What are these schools and their breakdown by classification.

 

4) Are most of these schools single sex schools?

 

5) Are all of the Coaches also teachers?

 

6) Do all Private schools have an Advertising agency or company recruiting students to attend their school. I'm talking students not necessarily athletes. I know St X and Trinity both ran advertisements to attend their respective school during the radio broadcast.

 

I'm just trying to educate myself on some of the aspects of private schools.

  • Replies 46
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this is not the point of the thread, so yell at me if this is a bad idea, but I think it would be fun to have some people (in favor and against a split) to answer these questions based on what they believe then someone post the correct answers to see if those that argue on both sides have their facts correct.

I don't pretend to know alot about the Private school thing. And actually, it does not affect me in eastern Ky as much, but I would like to know a few things.

 

1) What are the limitations on enrollment? Can a kid from anywhere attend? I think I heard ST X and Trinity had kids from 14 different counties.

 

2) Private schools have Tuition. I think I heard St X is like $10,000. Are there scholarships? Academic or athletic? If So, how many? What are those limitations?

 

3) I've heard there are 15 Private Schools. What are these schools and their breakdown by classification.

 

4) Are most of these schools single sex schools?

 

5) Are all of the Coaches also teachers?

 

6) Do all Private schools have an Advertising agency or company recruiting students to attend their school. I'm talking students not necessarily athletes. I know St X and Trinity both ran advertisements to attend their respective school during the radio broadcast.

 

I'm just trying to educate myself on some of the aspects of private schools.

 

As best I can answer:

 

1. I would guess any limits on enrollment would be self-imposed based on economics and physical limits. You could attend from any county I guess but if there is a similar school in the area that cuts down on that. So in NKY where there are multiple Catholic schools near each other you would not have that but in Lexington you could because there is only one. Same thing for a Christian school.

 

2. Tuition varies greatly and even varies within a geographic area. Cheapest is probably $4000 at year and $10,000 is not unresonable. Schools can give scholarships but not for athletics. They can for academics and usually that is based off of scores on an entrance test. Tuition assistance is available and is based off of financial need determined by a third party and is less than 50% and is determined by what is available year to year. Some schools also allow students to work off up to 20% of their tuition. They don't get paid money they just get a credit on the tuition bill. Another form of assisatance is some schools offer a discount for multiple students from a family. For example, first kid pays $5000, second $4400, third $3600 for each year they are all in school.

 

3. There are 48 I believe KHSAA member private schools. I believe 16 have football teams.

 

4. Louisville Catholic schools have single sex schools (T and X boys) and (Mercy, Assumption, Sacred Heart girls) and co-ed schools also. Same thing in NKY (CovCath/ Notre Dame) the rest are co-ed. I do not believe any of the Christian schools (e.g. Lex.Chrisitan, Heritage, Calvary) are single sex.

 

5. All coaches are not teachers but many are. I would imagine similar to public schools for the most part.

 

6. To some degree I would guess that most advertise in some fashion. For the Catholic schools that could mean advertising as a group.

  • Author

All Work,

 

Thanks a bunch. So let me understand the first point. Lets use Lexington first. Any kid in Lexington or for that matter Winchester, Richmond or basic vacinity can attend Lex Cath because they are the only Catholic school available? But now let's move to Northern Kentucky. Cov Cath and NCC have separate boundries. I assume Holy Cross is also Catholic. So just anyone living in NKY can't necessarily go to whichever Catholic school they want. What is the boundry south? I mean are these private school boundries in print anywhere?

 

If there are other questions I'm missing, help me out. I think alot of these debates could be toned down a little if everyone had all the proper info and not base answers on "he said she said".

  • Author

Do you have to be Catholic to go to a Catholic school?

 

What if a kid lives within the boundries of a Catholic school that does not have a football team and he wants to play football?

Do you have to be Catholic to go to a Catholic school?

 

What if a kid lives within the boundries of a Catholic school that does not have a football team and he wants to play football?

 

You do not have to be Catholic to go to a Catholic school.

 

Concerning your boundaries question: Catholic schools in the Diocese of Covington (NKY) have designated feeder parishes that help sustain each high school. Doesn't mean you can only go to that school. Might mean you have to pay a higher out-of-district tuition rate.

  • Author

Ok Thanks.

 

I would like to see some more people take this thread further. If the public people are out in left field on their thought process, educate them. Tell us what the rules are that keep it even.

You do not have to be Catholic to go to a Catholic school.

 

Concerning your boundaries question: Catholic schools in the Diocese of Covington (NKY) have designated feeder parishes that help sustain each high school. Doesn't mean you can only go to that school. Might mean you have to pay a higher out-of-district tuition rate.

 

 

The Louisville schools do not have this restriction as many of them were founded by religious orders and do not answer to the Diocese. Trinity was founded by the Archdiocese but has since separated itself I assume Assumption did the same.

 

4. Louisville Catholic schools have single sex schools (T and X boys) and (Mercy, Assumption, Sacred Heart girls) and co-ed schools also.

 

 

We also have Presentation, Holy Cross and DeSales

The Louisville schools do not have this restriction as many of them were founded by religious orders and do not answer to the Diocese. Trinity was founded by the Archdiocese but has since separated itself I assume Assumption did the same.

 

 

Yea but that was just so when law suites hit, they cant list Trinity as a asset

Yea but that was just so when law suites hit, they cant list Trinity as a asset

 

 

Trinity separated itself a long time ago, well before any lawsuits.

Yea but that was just so when law suites hit, they cant list Trinity as a asset

 

That would be incorrect. Trinity split from the Archdiocese in 1994 or 1995 at its own choice. The lawsuits arose almost a decade later.

X is a Catholic school, run by the Xavierian Brothers, and has benn for 135 years. You do not need to be catholic to go there, but I suspect about 85% is catholic. I know we've had Muslims, members of the Jewish faith, and others go there.

 

Tuition is about $8000.00. There is financial aid, given to about 28 % of the student body. No discounts for 2 or more.

 

Financial aid is limited to 50%, and is administerred by a college financial iad program, Which the KHSAA has approved. None is given in house, except that 15 $1000.00 awards are given each year to incoming 9th graders who score at least 98 or 99 on the placement test. This program is 4 years old.

 

A large percentage of the students' fathers attended.

We also have Presentation, Holy Cross and DeSales

You are correct about Presentation and DeSales. But both Louisville and Covington Holy Cross have mixed classes.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.