December 6, 200520 yr Data file on NKY Catholic high schools: http://news.enquirer.com/assets/AB12756124.PDF
December 7, 200520 yr Author So, let me ask this. What is the difference in a prep school and say St X?
December 7, 200520 yr So, let me ask this. What is the difference in a prep school and say St X? One of the biggest, I would think, is that you have to be accepted into prep schools. St. X is open to anyone, as long as they are able to pay the tuition.
December 20, 200520 yr One of the biggest, I would think, is that you have to be accepted into prep schools. St. X is open to anyone, as long as they are able to pay the tuition. Rockmom, you must also test well at St.X to gain entrance. They do not have a 3 tier /9 level learning system that Trinity offers. I recently discussed this with a current Trinity family and St. X's loss was Trinity's gain as the couple has four sons, the oldest has a learning disability.
December 20, 200520 yr Rockmom, you must also test well at St.X to gain entrance. They do not have a 3 tier /9 level learning system that Trinity offers. I recently discussed this with a current Trinity family and St. X's loss was Trinity's gain as the couple has four sons, the oldest has a learning disability. Really?! I did not realize that! Wow! Well, I knew that Trinity was special, and that it wasn't what people perceived it to be, meaning selective in admission. I didn't realize X wasn't the same.
December 20, 200520 yr Author Really?! I did not realize that! Wow! Well, I knew that Trinity was special, and that it wasn't what people perceived it to be, meaning selective in admission. I didn't realize X wasn't the same. Ok, since we are along those lines....Are the percentages of students furthering there education greater at some of the pretigious (selective admission) schools? I was looking at the CAT results on Kentucky Board of Education page and noticed none of the private schools were on there. Do the Private schools take there own test? Is there a measuring device for the educational success of the private schools?
December 20, 200520 yr 1) What are the limitations on enrollment? Can a kid from anywhere attend? I think I heard ST X and Trinity had kids from 14 different counties. No specific geographic limitation. However, no bus service - you are on your own for transportation. 2) Private schools have Tuition. I think I heard St X is like $10,000. Are there scholarships? Academic or athletic? If So, how many? What are those limitations? Lex Cath is around $5,000 per child. No multi-child discount. No athletic scholarships. Not sure if academic. Most assistence is needs based. Louisville Catholic schools USED to provide athletic scholarships at least 50 years ago (in the early 1950s). I am not sure when or the specific reason why the practice ended. 3) I've heard there are 15 Private Schools. What are these schools and their breakdown by classification. There must be more than this. 4) Are most of these schools single sex schools? Large Louisville schools as mentioned. All Catholic schools in Lexington area are co-ed. 5) Are all of the Coaches also teachers? Not necessarily. 6) Do all Private schools have an Advertising agency or company recruiting students to attend their school. I'm talking students not necessarily athletes. I know St X and Trinity both ran advertisements to attend their respective school during the radio broadcast. Private schools must do some sort of formal 'marketing'. Handouts, brochures, websites with information, etc. You do have to 'sell' the school or the concept of private education. Its not a captured monopoly market and word of mouth is not enough. Lex Cath recently held an open house on a Sunday. Seniors guided small groups around the school and gave walking descriptions of the activities and facilities. BTW, sometimes schools do go under and cease to exist (Flaget) or merge to keep going (Holy Cross). Schools are subject to market needs and environment. So they must strive to maintain enrollment.
December 20, 200520 yr Ok, since we are along those lines....Are the percentages of students furthering there education greater at some of the pretigious (selective admission) schools? I was looking at the CAT results on Kentucky Board of Education page and noticed none of the private schools were on there. Do the Private schools take there own test? Is there a measuring device for the educational success of the private schools? At Trinity, the normal national standardized tests are taken, PSAT an PLAN, and they also take the ACT in the Junior year as a measure of their success. There is no CAT-esque test. They (the students) consistently score higher than both the state and national averages on those tests. Check out the info here
December 20, 200520 yr To the best of my knowledge, no private schools take the CAT tests. We take more established and traditional tests such as are taken by public schools in most other states. The CAT tests are seen as political since a number of districts have been accused of teaching the tests in such a way as to guarantee higher scores for its students and more monetary rewards for the system. Doing so, of course, does not mean that the students have learned anything of value but only that they have been conditioned to run a little better through the maze.
December 20, 200520 yr Author So where in black and white can a person look at educational evidence and decide which school to send there children to? ScooterBob, I'll pick on you (Cause you're a local) Let's say a family is moving to the area, is there anywhere that has something in black and white that proves a student is going to get a better education at Rose Hill than Ashland or Boyd County?
December 20, 200520 yr So where in black and white can a person look at educational evidence and decide which school to send there children to? ScooterBob, I'll pick on you (Cause you're a local) Let's say a family is moving to the area, is there anywhere that has something in black and white that proves a student is going to get a better education at Rose Hill than Ashland or Boyd County? I gave you a link in full color, that compares Trinity to Jefferson Co public schools, state results and national results, and you want it in black and white! :lol:
December 21, 200520 yr Author I gave you a link in full color, that compares Trinity to Jefferson Co public schools, state results and national results, and you want it in black and white! :lol: Yes you did RockMom and it was wonderful. I apologize for not thanking you sooner.
December 21, 200520 yr Yes you did RockMom and it was wonderful. I apologize for not thanking you sooner. I was just joking with you....
December 21, 200520 yr Author To the best of my knowledge, no private schools take the CAT tests. We take more established and traditional tests such as are taken by public schools in most other states. The CAT tests are seen as political since a number of districts have been accused of teaching the tests in such a way as to guarantee higher scores for its students and more monetary rewards for the system. Doing so, of course, does not mean that the students have learned anything of value but only that they have been conditioned to run a little better through the maze. ScooterBob, Do you think teachers don't prepare students for the standardized testing? Heck, there are companies out there making thousands of dollars off preparing kids for ACT and SAT. There are many many books in the book stores on these as well as the PSAT. As you know, I'm a Russell guy and Russell is known for (maybe more than football) our academic excellence. We have a Governor's Cup State Championship banner as well as many Science olympiad banners. That is why when I see you say things about the public schools like "dumbed down" it goes right through me. If I am in left field here, help me out.
December 22, 200520 yr ScooterBob, Do you think teachers don't prepare students for the standardized testing? Heck, there are companies out there making thousands of dollars off preparing kids for ACT and SAT. There are many many books in the book stores on these as well as the PSAT. As you know, I'm a Russell guy and Russell is known for (maybe more than football) our academic excellence. We have a Governor's Cup State Championship banner as well as many Science olympiad banners. That is why when I see you say things about the public schools like "dumbed down" it goes right through me. If I am in left field here, help me out. I understand what you're saying, P2W. I willingly acknowledge that there are a number of public schools that perform better than private schools. Heck, the best school in Louisville is Manual, in that it is filled with the best and the brightest. I think that what solidifies Trinity's position as a school above average in educating students is the fact that we accept students of all academic abilities. We offer a program to place and assist those that are learning disabled according to their abilities. The fact that Trinity is able to achieve the above average scores on the national standardized tests is testament to the system employed at Trinity, and to the dedication of the administration and educators to each and every student to assist them in achieving thier highest academic potential.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.