Educate me about Private Schools

Play 2 Win

RockMom,

Thanks for your input. I have no doubt Trinity is an outstanding school and I appreciate all the information you have given me to help me understand.

Now, slight change of subject that maybe you can help me with. This whole, Privates, Open enrollment, Publics debate... I don't know where else to put this, but I'm getting ready to fix it all...... :banana: :banana:

Ok, obviously there are those that feel the privates and the open enrollments gain an edge athletically because of their ability to bring in student athletes from outside their "district". That's in reference to the "R" word. But, of course these schools claim they bring all students in from outside "districts" because of the religion affiliation or their academic program or whatever.....

So, my question is this? How many students that attend Trinity that are not athletes are from other counties? I know Jefferson County does not have district boundries, but if they did, how many students would they have (that are not athletes) coming from outside their districts?

Now, here is my thought process....

What if the percentage of athletes (that come from outside the district) had to equal the percentage of non-atheletes (that come from outside the district)?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RockMom,

Now, here is my thought process....

What if the percentage of athletes (that come from outside the district) had to equal the percentage of non-atheletes (that come from outside the district)?

So............if a school has a total of 3 kids from outside their county and 2 play sports and 1 doesn't...... then one of them has to quit?

So............if a school has a total of 3 kids from outside their county and 2 play sports and 1 doesn't...... then one of them has to quit?

Or find another student.....How about we grandfather the current enrollment. It'll be a three or four year process to complete. Heck All Play, It's just a thought along a different line...Trying to get out of the box....Ha Ha...

I don't even have any clue what the current percentages are at any school....Or if there is a way to find out...or how you would enforce it.

I don't even have any clue what the current percentages are at any school....Or if there is a way to find out...or how you would enforce it.

Well it depends on the private school. My guess is that the Christian private schools tend to draw students from multiple counties simply because there are fewer schools near each other. The Catholic private schools it would depend on where they are located. In NKY and Louisville my guess is there isn't a large percentage from out of the county the schools reside in because there are so many schools. Obviously in Lexington it would be different.

And you could not enforce it. Plus would it matter if out of county student A is a Girl cross country runner that never finishes a race and out of county student B is the all-state QB??? I think it would to some people.

In NKY and Louisville my guess is there isn't a large percentage from out of the county the schools reside in because there are so many schools. Obviously in Lexington it would be different.

Actually, I heard at the state championship games, that Trinity and St X had kids from 14 counties on there teams. Like I said, I heard it, I don't know it to be fact.

Sorry to be so long in responding, Play 2 Win. There is a big difference between taking SAT and ACT review courses or buying books to prepare you for the tests and teaching a CAT test during regular class time. I am not aware of any school taking time from the state-mandated school day to teach review courses for ACT or SAT. On the other hand, this is, from all indications, done fairly regularly in some public schools in regard to the CAT test. Why? Well, many believe that it is because the CAT results may mean more money in the pockets of both the school and the individual teachers. Thus, the "motivation" is suspect at best.

As for academics, I would agree that Russell takes a back seat to no one in this area. It is a fine academic school. However, it, like all public schools, is inundated with the "vices" and "political correctness" that are savaging our country. There are no drug or alcohol problems at Rose Hill- not even a smoking area. It also does not bend to any pressure to make time and space for, shall we say, oddball groups and beliefs. Rose Hill does not have to tolerate disruptive influences as do the public schools. I could cite other contrasts but you get the idea. Although you may disagree, most parents prefer this safer and more controlled climate for their children. Of course, as a public school subsisting on tax dollars, there are reasons why Russell cannot use Rose Hill's approach. However, that doesn't change the facts of the situation.

As for academics, just as with Russell, students at Rose Hill who are academically talented receive good scholarships and excel in college. I would assume that a larger percentage of Rose Hill graduates earn a college degree than do graduates of Russell. Of course, the nature of how each gets its students (Rose Hill can "screen" and Russell must accept whatever comes) is a major reason for this. Nonetheless, it is, most likely, a fact.

I hope this answers your query. Please understand that I have great respect for Russell and its academic program. Even with its "natural" problems, it is first rate by any standard. It is, without doubt, the finest public school system east of the northern Kentucky area. I just believe that, since they can limit the uncontrollable and destructive "extracurricular activities" that take place in most public schools, private schools in general and Rose Hill in particular are good choices.

Of course, I also believe that exceptional students often learn, not because of the school they attend, but in spite of the school they attend.

Ok, since we are along those lines....Are the percentages of students furthering there education greater at some of the pretigious (selective admission) schools?

I was looking at the CAT results on Kentucky Board of Education page and noticed none of the private schools were on there. Do the Private schools take there own test? Is there a measuring device for the educational success of the private schools?

I think, that if you look at the below link, you can make up your mind of how Private Schools stack up against their Public School brothers and sisters.

KEES Awards earned by Schools

I think, that if you look at the below link, you can make up your mind of how Private Schools stack up against their Public School brothers and sisters.

KEES Awards earned by Schools

Not really.

The KEES money is based on grades earned by a student for 4 years and then the ACT test score.

We know that all schools do not grade the same. We also do not know how many students did not qualify for any KEES award money. We do not know the total number of students in each school. And we certainly do not know the general make-up of the student body which greatly effects the results.

Basically, the students attending Cov Latin would be expected to score high on any type of testing. That doesn't have anything to do with being a private or public school neccessarily. It has to do with the type of student who could attend a school where 6 years of school is condensed into 4 years and students are able to handle it.

Not really.

The KEES money is based on grades earned by a student for 4 years and then the ACT test score.

We know that all schools do not grade the same. We also do not know how many students did not qualify for any KEES award money. We do not know the total number of students in each school. And we certainly do not know the general make-up of the student body which greatly effects the results.

Basically, the students attending Cov Latin would be expected to score high on any type of testing. That doesn't have anything to do with being a private or public school neccessarily. It has to do with the type of student who could attend a school where 6 years of school is condensed into 4 years and students are able to handle it.

Yes I will totally agree with your statement that all schools do not grade the same. What is considered an (A) in one school is nothing but a (B) in another. However the ACT test is the same for all. I believe that if you take the dollars earned from the Bonus Awards (this money is earned for scoring above a 15 and higher) you can get a pretty good idea of how well the school is doing in teaching their students to do well in furthering their education.

I will also agree with you that the general make-up of the student body greatly effects the results, but it does give a parent an idea of how a school ranks since the Private School don't take the KERA test.

In Northern Kentucky where I am from, you have a lot of schools to choose from (both public and private) and most parents that I know of choose a school because of the education that can be earned there and not how the sports team does.

But again not all students take the ACT and how do you define "quality".

If School A has 100 students and 50 take the ACT test and the average score is 22.

If School B has 100 students and 20 take the ACT test and the average score is 25.

If School C has 100 students and 90 take the ACT test and the average score is 21.

Which school offers the better education?

If School A has 100 students and 50 take the ACT test and the average score is 22.

If School B has 100 students and 20 take the ACT test and the average score is 25.

If School C has 100 students and 90 take the ACT test and the average score is 21.

That's easy.

I'm sure the Mathemagician will vouch for my work on this straightforward word problem. I'll go with school A, unless school B turns out to be the correct answer. Naturally, if school C is the correct answer, I'll hedge my bet by saying that I would not be averse to enrolling little Frances there, as well. So, in a nutshell, I'm taking school A, B, or C - depending on which one Mathemagician says is right...

Confidently,

Frances

To answer your question School ©

I am just curious.... would you want your child to go to a school where only 20 students out of 100 took the ACT test? My idea of a quality school system is where a large percentage of the students take the ACT because the Teachers and Administration encourage their students to do so. In this day and age not advancing one's education (be it college or technical school) is limiting one earning potential. Even if the family doesn't have the money to give a student to advance their education there are many ways to finance your education from Pell grants, scholarships’, and loans. And finally isn’t it the responsibly of the Board of Education to insure that their students get a great education no matter what the make up is?

My guess is both of us understand the importance of a quality education in this day and age and will do whatever we need to do to insure our child/children get one. It just bothers me that some parents just don’t get it and allow their child/children to waste the opportunity given to them.

The original question that I tried to give an answer to was where can I go to get some information on how school match up since the Private School don’t take the KERA test and I thought this might help the individual out.

To answer your question School ©

I am just curious.... would you want your child to go to a school where only 20 students out of 100 took the ACT test? My idea of a quality school system is where a large percentage of the students take the ACT because the Teachers and Administration encourage their students to do so. In this day and age not advancing one's education (be it college or technical school) is limiting one earning potential. Even if the family doesn't have the money to give a student to advance their education there are many ways to finance your education from Pell grants, scholarships’, and loans. And finally isn’t it the responsibly of the Board of Education to insure that their students get a great education no matter what the make up is?

My guess is both of us understand the importance of a quality education in this day and age and will do whatever we need to do to insure our child/children get one. It just bothers me that some parents just don’t get it and allow their child/children to waste the opportunity given to them.

The original question that I tried to give an answer to was where can I go to get some information on how school match up since the Private School don’t take the KERA test and I thought this might help the individual out.

Why School C? If you want the best education for your student why not choose School B since they produce the highest test scores? Why choose School C since they produces the lowest scores?

See, it is not easy to define "quality education". The only people worrying about private schools not taking the KERA tests aren't in private schools. In fact a lot of public school supporters would like to get rid of the tests and the way money is dolled out.

Why School C? If you want the best education for your student why not choose School B since they produce the highest test scores? Why choose School C since they produces the lowest scores?

Why school C? Because more students took the ACT test. No matter what school you attend, there are always going to be really, really smart kids and not so smart kids, but at least the teachers at School C are trying by getting their kids to take the test to improve all the students. How many students at school A & B were encouraged to take the test? At my Childs school 100% of the students took the test and 99.9% went on to college. Now that is a great school to attend.