Track the NL Central Champion Reds - 2nd Half (Week 2)

I don't think Volquez has that much trade value honestly.

I disagree that he doesn't have value. Physically he is throwing as hard as he did before the surgery. His 2 biggest problems and I know they are HUGE are his lack of command and his mental makeup. There are a lot of teams that would take a chance on a young pitcher with his tools. I would bet you that Dave Duncan would love to have a chance to get into his head and work with him.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if Texas would give up Hamilton for him?:lol:

Not a chance. I thought the trade at the time was a good thing and I still think that long term it could pan out to be a good trade. Only the man upstairs knows what Hamilton will suffer down the road but you have to think that what he did to his body will take its toll down the road and it could be sooner than anyone would like to think. He deals with a problem on a daily basis that I wouldn't wish on any person. He could fall apart tomorrow.

I tend to agree with you on Renteria's role but I can't see him getting regular ABs and helping this team and he certainly hasn't given them help off the bench as a pinch hitter. This team needs someone on the bench that can get them big hits when called upon. With Heisey having to play everyday they sre sorely lacking that. Right now Gomes is a waste of a roster spot and Cairo is having to fill in for Rolen who it appears is going to repeat his 2010 second half struggles due to his physical problems.

Renteria is 4-8 pinch hitting. The Reds pinch hitters are unreal this year. Take away Gomes, who is 0-14, and the Reds' pinch hitters are hitting .354. Rolen is 2-3 and then the next two best are RENTERIA and Lewis, who are both hitting .500 as pinch hitters.

Renteria is 4-8 pinch hitting. The Reds pinch hitters are unreal this year. Take away Gomes, who is 0-14, and the Reds' pinch hitters are hitting .354. Rolen is 2-3 and then the next two best are RENTERIA and Lewis, who are both hitting .500 as pinch hitters.

How current are those numbers? I don't recall them being very good over the last month.

Not a chance. I thought the trade at the time was a good thing and I still think that long term it could pan out to be a good trade. Only the man upstairs knows what Hamilton will suffer down the road but you have to think that what he did to his body will take its toll down the road and it could be sooner than anyone would like to think. He deals with a problem on a daily basis that I wouldn't wish on any person. He could fall apart tomorrow.

I agree that there are ?s with Hamilton. He's been pretty good so far, and for the group clamoring for help offensively, I'd have to say he would have been a pretty solid answer.

I agree that there are ?s with Hamilton. He's been pretty good so far, and for the group clamoring for help offensively, I'd have to say he would have been a pretty solid answer.

Current status no question he would help this team.

Hitting with RISP is killing this team right now.

Last year hey seemingly got that key hit when they needed it. That's not happening this year.

According to Lance McAlister, they are hitting .208 w/ 2 outs and RISP. Last year they hit a wicked .269 in the same situation.

Moreso, this team struggles to account runs when in favorable postions. Scoring with a man on 3rd with less than 2 outs.

They do not manufacture runs. Last night the Pirates took advantage of Bruce trying to gun a speedster at 3rd base with little chance of getting him and allowing the hitter to advance the 2nd. Two balls in play by the following hitters produced two runs.

We are not seeing this with this team.

This magnifies the Reds as only winning with the long ball. Power numbers are down for Votto and Rolen.

Dusty's reliance on vets hurts Heisey. I just wish they would give him a couple of weeks of everyday play in LF.

Hitting with RISP is killing this team right now.

Last year hey seemingly got that key hit when they needed it. That's not happening this year.

According to Lance McAlister, they are hitting .208 w/ 2 outs and RISP. Last year they hit a wicked .269 in the same situation.

Moreso, this team struggles to account runs when in favorable postions. Scoring with a man on 3rd with less than 2 outs.

They do not manufacture runs. Last night the Pirates took advantage of Bruce trying to gun a speedster at 3rd base with little chance of getting him and allowing the hitter to advance the 2nd. Two balls in play by the following hitters produced two runs.

We are not seeing this with this team.

It was a bang bang play. If the throw would have been a hair lower they would got him.

^^ Heisey is hitting .185 with 2 outs and runner in scoring position. But that still makes him the best of our 3 headed monster in LF. Lewis is at .167 and Gomes is at .088 (3-34). The only players on the team over .250 in that stat (2 outs, RISP) are Votto (.483), Cairo (.444), Janish (.389) and Phillips (.262).

^^ Heisey is hitting .185 with 2 outs and runner in scoring position. But that still makes him the best of our 3 headed monster in LF. Lewis is at .167 and Gomes is at .088 (3-34). The only players on the team over .250 in that stat (2 outs, RISP) are Votto (.483), Cairo (.444), Janish (.389) and Phillips (.262).

I caution everyone with looking at these and any stats. As SSC has brought up numerous times on this topic. YTD stats are one thing but stats over the last month are another. I'll bet that if you look at only the last month when they are 9-16 that these numbers will be even worse over that period.

I caution everyone with looking at these and any stats. As SSC has brought up numerous times on this topic. YTD stats are one thing but stats over the last month are another. I'll bet that if you look at only the last month when they are 9-16 that these numbers will be even worse over that period.

Good point. Pretty much the same point I used to make during my Adam Dunn bashing phase. All everyone saw was 40/100/100. My point was that he had 3-4 week stretches (sometimes longer) where he was abysmal. Very few got it. As very few will get what you and SSC are pointing out. 3 or 4 weeks ago I would have been with the masses, but the last 30 games have been very telling. I'm not sure how anyone can ignore it now.

Like you have said over and over and over. They blow up for 8 or 9 runs once a week and totally skew the average but this team is a mess offensively bottom line. Pitching is NOT a real need at this time.

Good point. Pretty much the same point I used to make during my Adam Dunn bashing phase. All everyone saw was 40/100/100. My point was that he had 3-4 week stretches (sometimes longer) where he was abysmal. Very few got it. As very few will get what you and SSC are pointing out. 3 or 4 weeks ago I would have been with the masses, but the last 30 games have been very telling. I'm not sure how anyone can ignore it now.

While the offense has been feast or famine it is silly to say that pitching is not a concern as well. The team ERA for the last 28 days is 4.22 which is right in line with their season's performance so far--13th in the league. Pitching is really the name of the game this season. Scoring is down, teams have to be able to win low scoring games and that is impossible when your pitchers give up homers and walks like the Reds pitchers do. Go and look and San Francisco's or Pittsburgh's offensive numbers--they are much worse than the Red's numbers....but they have the pitching to keep them in games.

While the offense has been feast or famine it is silly to say that pitching is not a concern as well. The team ERA for the last 28 days is 4.22 which is right in line with their season's performance so far--13th in the league. Pitching is really the name of the game this season. Scoring is down, teams have to be able to win low scoring games and that is impossible when your pitchers give up homers and walks like the Reds pitchers do. Go and look and San Francisco's or Pittsburgh's offensive numbers--they are much worse than the Red's numbers....but they have the pitching to keep them in games.

I think they make a deal for a big name pitcher. Just have a feeling.

The offense and pitching haven't been as good as they needed to be to lead the division. Luckily they are still in the race becasue there isn't a really good team in the division. My thinking is it would be easier and cost less prospects to improve LF (Beltran) than it would to get an ace ( Jimenez). Ultimately it may not matter unless they improve both.

The names I included are just a representation it doesn't mean those are the only options for that position.

It makes me crazy that they let the short stops hit .220 and field terribly when Cozart could have been used earlier. It makes me more crazy that Heisey hasn't been given a chance to start before the trade deadline. Even if they are only as good as Janish and Gomes their speed may have made the difference. I agree with LABS that this team looks complacent.