Best Speeches in Movies

MJAlltheWay24

The first one that came to mind. Not sure if it's a speech, a soliloquy, a monologue or what, but it's Robert Shaw (as Quint) talking about the USS Indianapolis in the movie Jaws.

We have a winner! I love that speech!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this topic on my facebook and I got some pretty good responses. What are some of your favorites?

I'll give you some that quickly came to my mind or were posted on my FB...

Braveheart - "Freedom" Speech

Rocky - "It Ain't About How Hard You Hit" Speech

A Few Good Men - "You Need Me On That Wall" Speech

Any Given Sunday - Al Pacino's Lockerroom Speech

There were plenty more, but I would to leave some for you guys. So, what do you think?

Makes a great game day intro...

Field of Dreams - "People Will Come" Speech
That is my favorite of all time!

The first one that came to mind. Not sure if it's a speech, a soliloquy, a monologue or what, but it's Robert Shaw (as Quint) talking about the USS Indianapolis in the movie Jaws.
That's another favorite. I think they said Robert Shaw was drunk during the filming of that scene.

From one of the greatest movies of all time 'Planet of the apes' Cornelius: [reading from the sacred scrolls of the apes] "Beware the beast Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him; drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death."

and of course

"Take your stinking paws off me, you darned dirty ape! "

Edited by TAC
word violation

Bill Pullman from Independence Day. A movie about aliens, but it pumps me up every time. Is it bad that I shed a tear when Cousin Eddie brings down the spaceship in true heroic fashion?

I swear that's the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this thread...

We will not go gently into the night.

I think we share a brain. I don't know how many threads I've opened and been formulating my two cents to add when I run across a post by you that pretty much states exactly what I was going to type. Scary.

Paul Newman in the church, end of Cool Hand Luke

Anybody here? Hey, Ol' Man, You home tonight? Can You spare a minute? It's about time we had a little talk. I know I'm a pretty evil fella. Killed people in the war and I got drunk and chewed up municipal property and the like. I know I got no call to ask for much, but even so, You've gotta admit, You ain't dealt me no cards in a long time. It's beginnin' to look like You got things fixed so I can't never win out. Inside, outside, all of 'em rules and regulations and bosses. You made me like I am. Now just where am I supposed to fit in?

Ol' Man, I gotta tell Ya. I started out pretty strong and fast. But it's beginnin' to get to me. When does it end? What do Ya got in mind for me? What do I do now? All right. All right.

On my knees, askin'.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I guess I'm pretty tough to deal with, huh? A hard case. I guess I gotta find my own way

Natalie Wood

Nobody laughs at me! Because I laugh first -- at ME! ME, from Seattle! ME, with no education! ME, with no talent, as you kept reminding me my whole life! Well, Mama, look at me now! I'm a STAR! Look! Look how I live! Look at my friends! Look where I'm going! I'm not staying in burlesque! I'm moving! Maybe up, maybe down! But wherever it is, I'm enjoying it! I'm having the time of my life, because for the first time, it IS my life! And I LOVE it! I love every second of it, and I'll be Word Filter ViolationWord Filter ViolationWord Filter ViolationWord Filter ViolationED if you're gonna take it away from me! I AM GYPSY ROSE LEE, and I love her! And if you don't, you can just clear out now!

Chief Dan George - Little Big Man

Do you see this fine thing? Do you admire the humanity of it? Because the Human Beings, my son, they believe everything is alive. Not only man and animals, but also water, earth, stone. And also the things from them like that hair. The man from whom this hair came, he's bald on the other side, because I now own his scalp! That is the way things are. But the white man, they believe everything is dead. Stone, earth, animals, and people! Even their own people! If things keep trying to live, white man will rub them out. That is the difference.

Robert Duvall

You smell that? Do you smell that? ... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. But the smell - you know, that gasoline smell. The whole hill smelled like.....victory. Someday this war's gonna end.

Steve Martin

Well, I'm gonna go then. And I don't need any of this! I don't need this stuff, and I don't need you. I don't need anything - except this, this ashtray, and that's the only thing I need, is this. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray. And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need. And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game and the remote control, and that's all I need. And these matches. The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball. And this lamp. The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all I need, too. I don't need one other thing, not one - I need this! The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches, for sure.

Well, what are you looking at? What do you think I am, some kind of a jerk or something? And this! And that's all I need. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair...I don't need one other thing, except my dog, I don't need my dog.